MACK SWAIN BOOK COMING

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

KevinScottCollier

MACK SWAIN BOOK COMING

PostTue May 30, 2017 5:34 pm

I am currently writing a book on comedian Mack Swain. Expect it out by July. Interesting childhood this fellow had. His dad went to jail when he was 8-years-old for having 3 wives.
Last edited by KevinScottCollier on Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hamilton's Grandson

Re: Book coming on Mack Swain

PostWed May 31, 2017 10:30 pm

Hi Kevin,

I was following this character actor when doing some research on my grandfather recently. Do you know why he would visit Walla Walla WA yearly? Was he visiting friends of his or his wife's friends in Tacoma (Gig Harbor) when he suddenly fell ill (stroke of cerebral hemorrhage?) and passed away at our local hospital? There wasn't much going on in our city at that time from a theatrical standpoint so just curious why he ventured up here. Looking forward to reading more about this actor in the future.

Smari1989

PostThu Jun 01, 2017 6:29 am

Great. After Chaplin & Arbuckle, Swain is probably my favorite male Keystone comedian. He's the kind of actor who you can "tell" had to have been quite a character in real life, too.

KevinScottCollier

PostSat Jun 03, 2017 8:32 pm

Yes, and what I'm digging up is very amusing. He got arrested in 1893 suspected of being in a gang of armed robbers and his alibi checked out - he was practicing his rag dancing with a friend for a venue he appeared at called Wonderland. His pals got convicted, but he wasn't with them... no interest in crime, just entertainment!

Pathe Lehrman

Re: MACK SWAIN BOOK COMING

PostSun Jun 04, 2017 7:46 am

Swain was with L-Ko in the late teens, and I write about his films there in my new book MR. SUICIDE: HENRY "PATHE" LEHRMAN AND THE BIRTH OF SILENT COMEDY. Some good stills from those films as well.

Tom Reeder

KevinScottCollier

PostSat Jun 10, 2017 2:10 pm

Thanks, I'll check it out! In my Swain book, I'm highlighting the Ambrose films in particular.

JLNeibaur

PostWed Jun 21, 2017 7:07 pm

Looking forward to this one

Return to Silent News