Lost James Williamson film fragment FOUND !

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Silencebound

Lost James Williamson film fragment FOUND !

PostTue Jul 25, 2017 6:10 pm

Well, to confirming you all that I've found a true-to-ID lost fragment ( two rolls, about 80 ft long in total ) of probably James Williamson-directed vehicle with the film title "Floating Wreckage". It might be dated between 1906-1908 but no year edge code marked on it. The listing of Williamson's films is found at Wikipedia site but no "Floating Wreckage" is listed there. Any options ? Well, yes, there's the big safety lifeguard marked with text "Williamson Hove" on it ! :o

I just want to and have to show and tell everybody absolutely NOTHING but only the truth.

Hamilton's Grandson

Re: Lost James Williamson film fragment FOUND !

PostTue Jul 25, 2017 9:03 pm

Can I ask you Robert where do you find lost films.? I know you mentioned Japan , but in Australia or New Zealand are there similar ways of locating lost films as in US via estate sales, antique dealers, ebay, private collectors, etc.?
Last edited by Hamilton's Grandson on Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com
Joseph Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com

telical

PostTue Jul 25, 2017 11:25 pm

Silencebound wrote:Well, to confirming you all that I've found a true-to-ID lost fragment ( two rolls, about 80 ft long in total ) of probably James Williamson-directed vehicle with the film title "Floating Wreckage". It might be dated between 1906-1908 but no year edge code marked on it. The listing of Williamson's films is found at Wikipedia site but no "Floating Wreckage" is listed there. Any options ? Well, yes, there's the big safety lifeguard marked with text "Williamson Hove" on it ! :o

Wow, this sounds like it might be the silent discovery of 2017! Congratulations!

Turpinutz

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 10:34 am

Ham... Most old films are found by LUCK; By stumbling onto them at flea markets, finding them in someone's trash, discovering them in old closed-down theaters, checking eBay and Craigslist, and/or by networking.

Years ago my friend used to put an occasional small ad in a few antiques newspapers looking for film. He bought several collections this way and turned up some pretty nice titles (in 16, 28, & 35mm) as well as movie posters, stills, and lobby cards. The recent DVD release of The Mysterious Airman may have came from one of my friend's finds. But he's been blowing out a lot of these films over the last several years because he had too many and he's getting older. I too sold a bunch of my films of various gauges via eBay to people like David Shepard, Serge Bromberg, Dan Bursik, and many others over the years.

So just keep your eyes open and ask your friends to do the same for you. Things will start to pop up. Good Luck!

- SteveR

Hamilton's Grandson

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 7:51 pm

HI Steve,

I agree it is luck. I am a regular on ebay and I am always surprised that non-film enthusiasts don't always know what they have in estate or antique sales. I saw a Belgium 35 mm nitrate film on ebay last week that ended without selling the short film that was in portuguese and when I asked if the seller consider donating it to an archive, he replied that if no one buys it he is going to burn it. Not many film folks would burn nitrate if it was still transferable.

Regards,
Dana

moviepas

PostThu Jul 27, 2017 3:50 am

Films of considerable rarity are often found in Australia and New Zealand but at the same the tragedy of losses is just as huge in this part of the world as anywhere else. What amazes me that two or three version of classic 1940s US films have been found I longer or better versions in Belgium which has been ripped down the middle in two world wars. Even Hungary. However, a lost MGM color Charley Chase short and an MGM color Three Stooges were found in full or part in Australia and we have these now for all to view. Sometimes it is a race between the fire department saying to burn the reels or getting it to the archives vaults before it is too late. We keep looking!!!

Silencebound

PostWed Aug 02, 2017 1:08 am

Yes, it is just LUCK, without question. Never I'd do the worthy aspect of fortune on searching environmental but I have had some searching issues in past years that several lost fragments was donated to National Film and Sound Archive in Canberra by me in early 1983 ( It's my very first attempting to do that with the almost-rotted 35mm Nitrate items ) with about ten 1000' film cans of old Nitrate without the exact film titles. Surely, they have recovered it from me normally but gain no reward from them . . . and no announcement of my founding either. Well, I have to secured my finding of Nitrates away from NFSA's attention to have the lost films/fragments to be scanned quickly by my Epson scanner and released the finish-restored projects for everyone to see it right away BEFORE any Film Archives took our eyes away and hidden the lost films over there in their shelves for good . . . I simply don't want that way at any cost ! :x
Well, the finding of lost fragments can be happened at Antiques and Junkyards and, especially at best, from eBays', too. :)
I just want to and have to show and tell everybody absolutely NOTHING but only the truth.

Hamilton's Grandson

PostWed Aug 02, 2017 8:46 pm

Thanks for your reply and it's important to know how other parts of the world locate lost or film material that hasn't been viewed since nearly a century ago.

Welcome back. I appreciate your experience and perspective.

Dana

Silencebound

PostSun Aug 06, 2017 1:35 am

Here's few pictures of FLOATING WRECKAGE from 35mm Nitrate film roll.

Actually, the main head title is "FLOATING WRECKAGE" which I've recovered is only a survived frame as the sub-intertitle also shown the same title name so I'm wondering why. :? My # 29 - L35NFF will featured this entry at approximately one minute as similar to his other previous outings with "FIRE !" and "The Big Swallow". Like that I'd mentioned it before from above of this page, no 'Floating Wreckage' title is found at James Williamson's film listing at Wikipedia but if you can find this frames of it somewhere in the internet photos, etc, then please mention and note it here. :)

doctor-kiss

PostSun Aug 06, 2017 4:34 am

Congratulations, this is another nice find!

It's a section from Williamson's October 1908 release SUNSHINE AFTER STORM, which was originally 890ft in length.

Thankfully, an ad in the Cardiff Evening Express of October 24, 1908, p.1, followed the familiar practice of reproducing under "Synopsis" the full list of intertitle headings that introduced each of the film's tableaux (as its component sequences were still referred to by Williamson at this time), including 'Floating Wreckage':

In the UK, SUNSHINE AFTER STORM was reissued in 1913; while in the US it was first released in June 1909, and then seemingly reissued in January 1911, leading to the publication of this synopsis in Moving Picture World, January 14, 1911, p.91:

Silencebound

PostSun Aug 06, 2017 8:00 am

AAAaaaarrgghhh !!!! Millions thanks to DOCTOR KISS !!!! Your photocopy billing up above is 100% corrected ! The intertitles which this discovered fragment ( only about 90 ft, I will analyse it later upon completion of scanning the fragment film ) have only provides two existing intertitles only - It's "FLOATING WRECKAGE" and the next intertitle is "JUST IN TIME" with director's name marked 'W' at lower left corner. That finally captured the intertitle listing mentioned above. Very wondertful media finding, Doctor Kiss ! The 1908 film title "SUNSHINE AFTER STORM" isn't been noted in Williamson's films listing at Wikipedia dispute his 1908 film "100 REWARD" turned up there. Well ,"SUNSHINE" film came out at 890ft, disappointedly enough, only 90ft survived so . . . See the survived intertitles below.

There is no chance to search for remaining lost footage but I'd love to if my LUCK is working on and . . . :?

Return to Silent News