Beggars of Life (1928) on Blu-ray & DVD from Kino 8/22

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

MattBarry

Beggars of Life (1928) on Blu-ray & DVD from Kino 8/22

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 11:35 am

I wanted to let everyone know that Kino Lorber's Blu-ray & DVD of BEGGARS OF LIFE will be released on August 22nd:

An American silent film classic, Beggars of Life (1928) stars Louise Brooks as a train-hopping hobo who dresses like a boy to survive. After escaping her violent stepfather, Nancy (Brooks) befriends kindly drifter Jim (Richard Arlen). They ride the rails together until a fateful encounter with the blustery Oklahoma Red (Wallace Beery) and his rambunctious band of hobos, leading to daring, desperate conflict on top of a moving train. Based on the memoir of real-life hobo Jim Tully, and directed with adventuresome verve by William Wellman (The Ox-Bow Incident), Beggars of Life is an essential American original.

This edition is digitally restored from 35mm film elements preserved by the George Eastman Museum, and features a musical score compiled and performed by The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra, employing selections from the original 1928 Paramount cue-sheet. Special features including audio commentaries by William Wellman Jr. and Thomas Gladysz, founding director of the Louise Brooks Society, plus a booklet essay by film critic Nick Pinkerton.

__
Matt Barry
Kino Lorber, Inc.

Christopher Jacobs

Re: Beggars of Life (1928) on Blu-ray & DVD from Kino 8/22

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 12:07 pm

This is prime William Wellman and probably Louise Brooks' best American film. The Eastman's careful 35mm restoration from a lovely 16mm Show-at-Home printdown off the camera negative has been shown at various festivals and is really hard to tell it's not from a 35mm original element. The rich image detail breathes new life into the story that is sometimes hard to follow in the murky grey-market dupes that have been around for decades. Can't wait!

R. Cat

PostFri Aug 04, 2017 8:55 pm

Red Bartlett

PostMon Aug 07, 2017 10:01 am

Very excited about this release!

Rodney

PostTue Aug 08, 2017 9:16 am

And there's now a very positive review from BluRay.com as well.
Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"

Gaucho

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 4:32 pm

Today I see that Grapevine has just released its own BD version of Beggars of Life.

What's with that?

Rodney

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 8:09 pm

Gaucho wrote:Today I see that Grapevine has just released its own BD version of Beggars of Life.

What's with that?

They released it a few years ago, before the Kino one was announced, as I recall. It is likely from one of the 16mm dupes that was floating around on the collector's market several decades ago... and I expect the new one to look better. Though its original material was the same 16mm print that the collector's prints were copied from, it's several generations earlier and appears, to my eye, to be the result of better lab work.

The Kino version also has our newly recorded score, plus two different commentary tracks (from William Wellman Jr. and Thomas Gladyzs of the Louise Brooks Society). Grapevine has a needle-drop orchestra score, but one review says it's quite good.

I remember the first time I scored "Beggars of Life" it was for a 16mm showing, and the print was very dark. But I also remember that the owner of the print wanted me to get Paramount to give permission, and Paramount kept swearing that they didn't have the copyright, so there was a protracted bout of confusion over the rights to the material...
Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"

Thad Komorowski

PostTue Aug 15, 2017 11:24 am

I'm glad this one is getting positive buzz... It was a hard one to restore for Blu-Ray! And yes, it puts all other versions to shame...

Return to Silent News