Question on the Deveolpment of PICKFAIR

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

linquist

Question on the Deveolpment of PICKFAIR

PostSat Jul 29, 2017 6:54 am

I came across a news blurb in the July 26, 1919 edition of MOVING PICTURE WORLD and it contradicts the story that Pickfair was a hunting lodge that Mr. Fairbanks purchased. The press could always be wrong or make mistakes but I wonder if anyone knows anything or has done any research on Pickfair. I copy the article:

"Doug's New Home Overlooks Sea
Douglas Fairbanks' new home, which will be erected on the fourteen-acre tract which he has recently purchased from the Rodeo Land and Water Company, will include a billiard room, bowling alley and private projection room, and will face the ocean, which, though several miles away, is plainly visible from the site. The designs for the building call for the English style of architecture, and with the stables, garage and the large swimming pool, and the landscape gardening, the expenditure will total about $175,000. The property is north of the Beverly Hills Hotel."

Much of the details is right, such as Rodeo Land and Water selling the property and the description of the design. The article rather implies that the house is being built rather than the conversion of a hunting lodge. That would also make sense if a developer was subdividing the property and selling it off to movie stars. I even found a website that also implies that Fairbanks built rather than converted. But, like I said, both the article and the website only imply.
So does anyone know for sure whether there was a major structure on the property that was converted or torn down before Pickfair was "built?"
Thanks.

missdupont

Re: Question on the Deveolpment of PICKFAIR

PostSat Jul 29, 2017 9:56 am

I suggest you read the two Fairbanks books. Tracey Goessel in her book states on page 229 that Fairbanks bought the property 4/22/19 for $35,000, on which a 6 room hunting lodge stood. He was living in Beverly Hills at the time when he purchased the land on which Pickfair stands, which is west of the Beverly Hills Hotel. Vance in his book states that Fairbanks lived in Beverly Hills and that Pickford and Fairbanks didn't move into Pickfair until months after their March 28, 1920 marriage. Pickfair had 18 acres, not 14.

linquist

Re: Question on the Deveolpment of PICKFAIR

PostSat Jul 29, 2017 10:49 am

Thanks for your answer.
I had looked through Ms. Goessel's book and read comments about the purchase. I think that was partially why I was confused. I kept finding differing comments in various places, either confirming the lodge story or making the same vague comments similar to the ones that the World had done.

Return to Silent News