KEATON BOX SET FROM EUREKA COMING SOON

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Scoundrel

KEATON BOX SET FROM EUREKA COMING SOON

PostTue Aug 01, 2017 9:23 am

4K 1080p restorations of SHERLOCK JR., THE GENERAL and STEAMBOAT BILL JR.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0748YD6HM/
" You can't take life too seriously...you'll never get out of it alive."

Blackhawk Films customer

Adam J

Re: KEATON BOX SET FROM EUREKA COMING SOON

PostTue Aug 01, 2017 2:16 pm

Looking forward to this! As well as the new restorations, that list of special features sounds really good.

R Michael Pyle

PostTue Aug 01, 2017 2:53 pm

Region 2 and Blu-Ray only - correct??

camaro

PostWed Aug 02, 2017 7:23 am

I take it these are the Cohen restorations that was done a few years ago for the General and Steamboat Bill. At least they are getting a release but I'm hoping they are released in the US as well. It's a shame that Eureka's blu-rays are region locked.

WaverBoy

PostWed Aug 02, 2017 11:52 am

Go region-free and never look back. I've been region-free since 2001.

Danny Burk

PostWed Aug 02, 2017 2:10 pm

Likewise! Cost is no longer a reason, when one can pick up a unit for the price of a few DVDs. It opens up a new world, literally.

Bob Furem

PostWed Aug 02, 2017 2:16 pm

Danny Burk wrote:Likewise! Cost is no longer a reason, when one can pick up a unit for the price of a few DVDs. It opens up a new world, literally.

True, and with the current exchange rate, it is often cheaper to buy from Amazon UK than US. However, it will be a while until I buy any more Keaton blu-rays.

R. Cat

PostWed Aug 02, 2017 4:33 pm

camaro wrote:I take it these are the Cohen restorations that was done a few years ago for the General and Steamboat Bill. At least they are getting a release but I'm hoping they are released in the US as well. It's a shame that Eureka's blu-rays are region locked.

This is how I take it as well (fingers crossed). Region locking isn't an issue for those who've upgraded to region/zone free players. In fact, sets like this probably motivate folks still on the picket fence (ouch!) about universal players.

From a packaging standpoint, I have to say the individual BD's in the 2nd & 3rd images look very impressive (luv the choice of period art). If the product design and extras are any indication, this set will be top notch.

I'm hoping there'll be a U.S. release as well, but taking into account KINO's recent releases of The General and Steamboat Bill Jr. ...which appear to have been rushed out to reassert market dominance of their prior Keaton restorations... it may be a long wait for a competing "definitive" upgrade.

Food for thought: Will a U.S. Cohen produced release, (3 disc set or individually) have these scores, extras and similar presentation to the MoC release? Probably, but who knows. To be crystal clear on this, I'm a huge supporter of both KINO and Eureka's efforts. That said, as I'm always looking for the best product and packaging my pre-order is in the queue.

PS: Browsing for more info from Eureka I learned that this set is supposedly being limited to 3000 copies, so if you're mulling it over I wouldn't advise waiting too long. Here's the link...

https://www.eurekavideo.co.uk/news/lavi ... -2017-line

Danny Burk wrote:Likewise! Cost is no longer a reason, when one can pick up a unit for the price of a few DVDs. It opens up a new world, literally.

Absolutely! I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I'm thinking about upgrading my current universal BD/DVD player to one that can upconvert to 4K.

Battra92

PostThu Aug 03, 2017 1:23 pm

R. Cat wrote:This is how I take it as well (fingers crossed). Region locking isn't an issue for those who've upgraded to region/zone free players. In fact, sets like this probably motivate folks still on the picket fence (ouch!) about universal players.

I just bought a refurbished (though it looked new) Region Free Sony Blu Ray player on eBay for $75. It's from 220 Electronics and they had "Make an offer" and I did and they took it. Free shipping to boot! I still have the Oppo region free DVD player I got at a thrift shop and will probably use that to save wear and tear on the BD player.

Per the Keaton set; I'm at the point where I'm wondering how many times I need to own copies of these films. Unless they have the superior audio tracks shown on AMC years ago (especially on Sherlock Jr. and Go-West) I just can't see myself buying them. I most recently bought a copy of The General for the Joe Hisashi score, which was nice on its own sounded more Howl's Moving Castle than the Great Stone Face.

R Michael Pyle

PostThu Aug 03, 2017 1:39 pm

The only reason I put up the question - and, yes, I have a region free player, but... - is because I only have a DVD player, but have as yet not upgraded to Blu-Ray.

R. Cat

PostThu Aug 03, 2017 2:43 pm

Battra92 wrote:
R. Cat wrote:This is how I take it as well (fingers crossed). Region locking isn't an issue for those who've upgraded to region/zone free players. In fact, sets like this probably motivate folks still on the picket fence (ouch!) about universal players.

I just bought a refurbished (though it looked new) Region Free Sony Blu Ray player on eBay for $75. It's from 220 Electronics and they had "Make an offer" and I did and they took it. Free shipping to boot! I still have the Oppo region free DVD player I got at a thrift shop and will probably use that to save wear and tear on the BD player.

Per the Keaton set; I'm at the point where I'm wondering how many times I need to own copies of these films. Unless they have the superior audio tracks shown on AMC years ago (especially on Sherlock Jr. and Go-West) I just can't see myself buying them. I most recently bought a copy of The General for the Joe Hisashi score, which was nice on its own sounded more Howl's Moving Castle than the Great Stone Face.

This is always a consideration, and none of us want to feel like Pavlovian rodents trapped in a hamster wheel of despair. Silent film fans are often accused of being a bunch of double, triple, sometimes quadruple-dipping OCD completists and if push comes to shove, I resemble that remark. :lol:

My rule of thumb is to gauge upgrade value by the overall package and rewatch potential. With Keaton, I can check that one off as I'm likely to watch his best films numerous times. The other factors ...for me at least... are the restoration quality (best HD remastered version) along with period appropriate music (orchestral score being my strongest preferrence), followed by extras (bonus materials, documentaries, interviews, etc.) and presentation (books, program, pamphlets, etc.).

Part of my excitement with this Eureka release and several of the upcoming KINO silent film restorations is the fact that I'm in the process of upgrading my primary video display to 4K along with other associated gear (HD-BD player, HD receiver etc.). This will allow my wife and I to enjoy the best remastered versions of various genres of films.

So, yes, buying new restorations is a personal upgrade choice (...buying the White Album all over again as Tommy Lee Jone's said in MiB). Everyone has to look at these releases in the context of one's current or future playback system. If your video delivery system is over 10 years old, the improvement an HD remastered film will present may be less obvious. It doesn't mean films released on DVD or early BD are obsolete, but better remasters are intended to increase enjoyment coinciding with improved display technology.

Apologies for diverging from the topic a bit. My main point is that I'm quite excited about this release and hopefully these upgraded 4K remasters will be the definitive presentations of Keaton's most popular films. If these are indeed the Cohen restorations, I'm pretty sure that they will have been sourced from entirely different film elements than prior KINO releases.

R Michael Pyle wrote:The only reason I put up the question - and, yes, I have a region free player, but... - is because I only have a DVD player, but have as yet not upgraded to Blu-Ray.

The set is listed as three discs, so yes, all BD, not DVD.

Combined dual format releases are gradually being phased out as more folks move to BD and multi-format players.

luciano

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 11:17 pm

Here's the trailer:

Last edited by silentfilm on Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Embedd YouTube link

R. Cat

PostWed Sep 27, 2017 12:23 am

Amazon.co.uk notified me Tuesday that there'll be another month's delay on the ltd. ed. Buster Keaton: 3 Films set. The new delivery date is Mid-November. That ain't that far off, but I'm antsy & feelin' a little stone-faced about it. :lol:

Red Bartlett

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 11:59 am

This set looks nice. And I love that it comes with a hefty book! May have to double-dip, as I did with their Keaton Short Films release -- which was stellar. I imagine these will be a nice improvement over the Kino releases of a few years back.

The only thing I'm not sure about are the score-options. For example, Kino's The General offered up 3 different scores (Carl Davis, Robert Israel and Lee Irwin's organ score). I think the upcoming MoC release will just have the Carl Davis. Which is fine, but I do like organ scores, this one especially -- even though the Davis score is divine.

radiotelefonia

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 3:48 pm

How many times I have to be offered the same movies that I already bought more than once?

They can look more pristine, more clear, etc., but it is the same thing.

I prefer William Perry's scores by far.

These movies should be available for free, with commercials, on broadcast television.

Saint-Just

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 4:01 pm

radiotelefonia wrote:
These movies should be available for free, with commercials, on broadcast television.

Why on earth would you want to watch ANY movie with commercials?

radiotelefonia

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 5:43 pm

Saint-Just wrote:
radiotelefonia wrote:

Why on earth would you want to watch ANY movie with commercials?

Because this market is dying and all of the strategies that these companies are following are big failure.

Television is the only thing that will prevent this, and it is about time to admit it.

And it is not a restoration... it is only a new telecine.

bigshot

PostThu Oct 19, 2017 9:59 am

Aren't these based on a new photochemical restoration by Cineteca Bologna?

Red Bartlett

PostThu Oct 19, 2017 10:07 am

That's what I thought as well Bigshot.

From Eureka's site:
"1080p presentations of all three films from stunning new 4K restorations "

radiotelefonia

PostThu Oct 19, 2017 11:21 am

Red Bartlett wrote:That's what I thought as well Bigshot.

From Eureka's site:

It is not a restoration, it is only a new telecine.

R. Cat

PostThu Oct 19, 2017 2:22 pm

radiotelefonia wrote:
Red Bartlett wrote:That's what I thought as well Bigshot.

From Eureka's site:

It is not a restoration, it is only a new telecine.

I'm pretty sure that these are Cohen restorations, sourced from entirely different 35mm elements than those under KINO's license. 1080p "presentations" are another way of saying 2K HD release, ...which is confusing enough. Note: If this were a 4K release it would be UHD.

Given the technology available, 4K restoration should present much better in 2K (HD) than restoration work done on elements at lower resolutions. Referring to a "new telecine" as the only basis for the 4K restoration claim may not reflect the work done to improve upon the 2K presentation of prior releases.

I'll readily admit that my knowledge about the work done on the forthcoming Eureka release is neither complete nor infallible. If you have well sourced information that contradicts MoC claims about this release, please share your insights.

radiotelefonia

PostThu Oct 19, 2017 2:38 pm

I'm pretty sure that these are Cohen restorations, sourced from entirely different 35mm elements than those under KINO's license. 1080p "presentations" are another way of saying 2K HD release, ...which is confusing enough. Note: If this were a 4K release it would be UHD.

Given the technology available, 4K restoration should present much better in 2K (HD) than restoration work done on elements at lower resolutions. Referring to a "new telecine" as the only basis for the 4K restoration claim may not reflect the work done to improve upon the 2K presentation of prior releases.

I'll readily admit that my knowledge about the work done on the forthcoming Eureka release is neither complete nor infallible. If you have well sourced information that contradicts MoC claims about this release, please share your insights.

It is still a telecine and not a restoration, there is nothing there to restore.

R. Cat

PostThu Oct 19, 2017 5:04 pm

radiotelefonia wrote:

It is still a telecine and not a restoration, there is nothing there to restore.

Assuming these are the Cohen licensed films, are you sure that no restoration work was done prior to the telecine transfer?

Restoration may include anything from repairing damaged film elements to frame by frame digital cleaning. I seem to recall viewing a short promotional film detailing some of the restoration. What am I missing?

Saint-Just

PostThu Oct 19, 2017 5:05 pm

R. Cat wrote:
radiotelefonia wrote: What am I missing?

Nothing, you're just dealing with a repetitive know-it all.

bigshot

PostThu Oct 19, 2017 5:09 pm

I just looked it up. These are full photochemical restorations...

Cineteca di Bologna announces a multi-year project to restore Buster Keaton works

After dedicating over a decade to Charlie Chaplin's films and archive, Cineteca di Bologna and l'Immagine Ritrovata will restore Buster Keaton's silent films

The first restorations will be presented next summer in Bologna during the XXIX edition of Il Cinema Ritrovato Film Festival
The unforgettable works of another great master of silent cinema will be brought to life again thanks to Cineteca di Bologna and Cohen Film Collection at L'Immagine Ritrovata laboratory in Bologna: after devoting more than a decade to Charles Chaplin, now Buster Keaton's entire silent works will be the focus of a multi-year restoration project which will allow audiences from around the world to rediscover Buster Keaton's genius.

The first restorations of the Keaton Project, launched and promoted by Cineteca di Bologna and Cohen Film Collection, will be presented during next edition of Il Cinema Ritrovato festival (June 27th through July 4th): the 1920 short comedy One Week, which encapsulates perfectly the American collective imagination of prefabricated housing and Sherlock Jr. made in 1924 and listed in by the "Time" as one of the best 100 films ever.

http://www.cinetecadibologna.it/news/n_161

radiotelefonia

PostThu Oct 19, 2017 6:21 pm

Saint-Just wrote:
R. Cat wrote:
radiotelefonia wrote: What am I missing?

Nothing, you're just dealing with a repetitive know-it all.

A Blu-Ray is no preservation stuff. Anything presented there is only a telecine.

bigshot

PostThu Oct 19, 2017 7:48 pm

The 4K scans were made off of Cineteca Bologna's newly restored film elements. All three of these films are newly restored. The General was released from this 4k scan a few months ago in Spain, but the restorations of Sherlock Jr and Steamboat Bill Jr are new to blu-ray. These are from completely different film elements than any previous release. New restorations.

By the way, these films were not telecined. They were scanned at 4K. Totally different process.

R. Cat

PostFri Oct 20, 2017 12:46 am

bigshot wrote:The 4K scans were made off of Cineteca Bologna's newly restored film elements. All three of these films are newly restored. The General was released from this 4k scan a few months ago in Spain, but the restorations of Sherlock Jr and Steamboat Bill Jr are new to blu-ray. These are from completely different film elements than any previous release. New restorations.

By the way, these films were not telecined. They were scanned at 4K. Totally different process.

Thanks, bigshot; excellent information. I'm assuming Cohen's distribution of Keaton films in the U.S. utilize the Cineteca Bologna restorations.

bigshot

PostFri Oct 20, 2017 9:16 am

They haven't released them in the US yet, but I'm sure when they do, it will use their restorations.

Red Bartlett

PostFri Oct 20, 2017 1:57 pm

For 4K restorations like this, I'm beginning to think it would be nice if they started-up the ole' dual-format thing again. But now make it UHD & BD. Even though I'm not running 4k yet, I'd like to someday. And a dual format would be more enticing for us double, triple-dippers. Just a thought....
Next

Return to Silent News