KEATON BOX SET FROM EUREKA COMING SOON

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

bigshot

Re: KEATON BOX SET FROM EUREKA COMING SOON

PostFri Oct 20, 2017 2:59 pm

I think we've hit the wall with image quality of silent films with blu-ray. I doubt UHD would make much of a difference. The reason 4K mastering is good for silent films is that it gives more latitude for restoration. It won't really add any resolution, and the advanced color is wasted on B&W films.

The Blackbird

PostSat Oct 21, 2017 3:58 am

The same movies, released and re-released over and over again. Meanwhile a vast horde of silents made by major studios continue to sit gathering dust, nearly a century after they were made, and may keep doing so for another century. What can we do to see these movies? I've only got so many years to live, for goodness' sake....

Rodney

PostSat Oct 21, 2017 2:34 pm

The Blackbird wrote:The same movies, released and re-released over and over again. Meanwhile a vast horde of silents made by major studios continue to sit gathering dust, nearly a century after they were made, and may keep doing so for another century. What can we do to see these movies? I've only got so many years to live, for goodness' sake....

Buy and review the films that DO come out, of course. When DVD sales are lousy, only the big names will be released.
Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"

BrianG

PostSat Oct 21, 2017 2:55 pm

I must have 3-4 dvd's of The General, including the Kino blu-ray and yet the one I always watch is the older version with the Mont Alto score. For me it's the definitive score, like Jon Mirsalis's score for Woman in the Moon. I'm old and set in my ways. A new and improved picture doesn't make it more enjoyable for me.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostSat Oct 21, 2017 3:56 pm

The same movies, released and re-released over and over again.

Think what we've had this year. Behind the Door. Beggars of Life. Zaza. Napoleon. Pioneers of African-American Cinema. Variety. When Knighthood Was in Flower.

I understand the feeling when Keaton, Phantom of the Opera and, apparently, The Lost World keep coming out, but it's worth remembering that for being the worst time to release physical media, we sure keep getting a lot of it.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

wich2

PostSat Oct 21, 2017 5:44 pm

^This.

It's not perfect (waiting for POTO '25, and others) - but we ARE living in a new Golden Age of Silents.

The Blackbird

PostMon Oct 23, 2017 1:50 pm

Mike Gebert wrote:
The same movies, released and re-released over and over again.

Think what we've had this year. Behind the Door. Beggars of Life. Zaza. Napoleon. Pioneers of African-American Cinema. Variety. When Knighthood Was in Flower.

I understand the feeling when Keaton, Phantom of the Opera and, apparently, The Lost World keep coming out, but it's worth remembering that for being the worst time to release physical media, we sure keep getting a lot of it.

For sure, it's just frustrating as the years, indeed, decades, go by, and - for instance - THREE WEEKS, NEVADA, MADCAP MADGE, EVERYBODY'S SWEETHEART, REVELATION, HIS HOUR, DADDY'S GONE A-HUNTING, THE WAY OF A GIRL, THE WHITE DESERT, SUN-UP, EXCHANGE OF WIVES, TIME THE COMEDIAN, THE ONLY THING, OLD CLOTHES, SOUL MATES, SALLY IRENE AND MARY, MONTE CARLO, PARIS, THE WANING SEX, THE DESERT'S TOLL, THE FLAMING FOREST, VALENCIA, JOHNNY GET YOUR HAIR CUT, ALTARS OF DESIRE, THE TAXI DANCER, THE FIRE BRIGADE, WOMEN LOVE DIAMONDS, THE UNDERSTANDING HEART, HEAVEN ON EARTH, ROOKIES, ON ZE BOULEVARD, FOREIGN DEVILS, BODY AND SOUL, THE THIRTEENTH HOUR, IN OLD KENTUCKY, THE GARDEN OF ALLAH, BECKY, THE LOVELORN, THE LAW OF THE RANGE, UNDER THE BLACK EAGLE, WYOMING, RIDERS OF THE DARK, DETECTIVES, FORBIDDEN HOURS, BEYOND THE SIERRAS, WHILE THE CITY SLEEPS, HONEYMOON, THE OVERLAND TELEGRAPH, SIOUX BLOOD, THE DESERT RIDER, CHINA BOUND, SPUDS, BROKEN HEARTS OF HOLLYWOOD, BACK TO GOD'S COUNTRY and so many others remain locked away, seemingly hopelessly. I can't even remember the last time an MGM silent got dusted off and re-released, I think it was THE COSSACKS back in 2014...

Saint-Just

PostMon Oct 23, 2017 3:21 pm

Thought Milestone had Back to God's Country out...

The Blackbird

PostMon Oct 23, 2017 4:22 pm

Saint-Just wrote:Thought Milestone had Back to God's Country out...

Not the 1927 version with Renee Adoree.

Roscoe

PostTue Oct 24, 2017 2:08 pm

Per Amazon UK, the box set has been pushed back again to November 20. And still no word of a US release from Cohen.
"If you lose this war, don't blame me."

www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com

Saint-Just

PostTue Oct 24, 2017 7:52 pm

The Blackbird wrote:
Saint-Just wrote:Thought Milestone had Back to God's Country out...

Not the 1927 version with Renee Adoree.

Well there ya go - I didn't even know there was one. Thanks for the teach up. : )

R. Cat

PostWed Oct 25, 2017 1:03 pm

Roscoe wrote:Per Amazon UK, the box set has been pushed back again to November 20. And still no word of a US release from Cohen.

Thanks for the update, Roscoe. That's the second emailed date delay from Amazon in as many weeks, and it's closing in on the holiday season. Fingers crossed that this will be the last release window change, ...my stoneface is starting to feel chiseled.

Sadly, a U.S. Cohen release for these three fully restored Keaton films may be years in coming since KINO's last reissue of The General & Steamboat Bill, Jr. is so recent and still in stock. Also, judging from earlier releases, the Cohen group's packaging will probably be less impressive than the British Eureka/MoC set (which looks fab).

Note: A universal (zone free) BD player should be on every good guy's & gal's wish list. :)
Previous

Return to Silent News