new book Silent Films in St. Augustine

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

docplastic

new book Silent Films in St. Augustine

PostWed Aug 02, 2017 2:44 pm

Silent Films in St. Augustine was just released today by the University Press of Florida.
This is a readable book for a general audience by a professional historian: me, Thomas Graham. A few of you got a preview of the book at last month's Mostly Lost conference by the Library of Congress. Amazon has a good introduction to the book on its site.
The book has lots of images and some information that most film aficionados are not familiar with since St. Augustine was so far out of the mainstream on the remote Florida frontier. However, it was the town's "tropical" location and ancient Spanish buildings that made it attractive to movie companies for "exotic" subjects. St. Augustine was often a stand-in for Spain, Italy, France--or even China, India, and Africa.
The first film made in St. Augustine dates from 1906 and the last silent from 1926. More than 120 films were made, at least partly, in town. America's first full-length comedy, A Florida Enchantment was made here; as was part of the first full-length Frankenstein film Life Without Soul. Theda Bara became famous for A Fool There Was and made three more films in St. Augustine. Other stars who made appearances in town include Rudolph Valentino, Ethel Barrymore, James Cruze, Pauline Frederick, Oliver Hardy, Tom Mix, and Pearl White. Dozens more.

elalamo

Re: new book Silent Films in St. Augustine

PostWed Aug 02, 2017 3:52 pm

Sounds great. I'll definitely get it.

Hope you do better with St. Augustine than I have with Asheville.

rudyfan

PostWed Aug 02, 2017 10:27 pm

I am ordering it! Cannot wait to read it

silentfilm

PostThu Aug 03, 2017 11:06 am

Here's a link to the Publisher's website about the book.

And it is already available on Amazon.

Return to Silent News