Enter to win Beggars of Life and Variete from Kino Classics

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

Enter to win Beggars of Life and Variete from Kino Classics

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 9:20 am

Lots of good things have been coming out this year, too many to wait for our usual year-end giveaways. So Kino Classics is offering NitrateVillains a chance to win two of their most exciting and long-awaited releases...

BEGGARS OF LIFE

Synopsis: An American silent film classic, Beggars of Life (1928) stars Louise Brooks as a train-hopping hobo who dresses like a boy to survive. After escaping her violent stepfather, Nancy (Brooks) befriends kindly drifter Jim (Richard Arlen). They ride the rails together until a fateful encounter with the blustery Oklahoma Red (Wallace Beery) and his rambunctious band of hobos, leading to daring, desperate conflict on top of a moving train. Based on the memoir of real-life hobo Jim Tully, and directed with adventuresome verve by William Wellman (The Ox-Bow Incident), Beggars of Life is an essential American original.

Special Features: Digitally restored from 35mm film elements preserved by the George Eastman Museum | Audio commentary by actor William Wellman, Jr. | Audio commentary by Thomas Gladysz, founding director of the Louise Brooks Society | Booklet essay by film critic Nick Pinkerton | Musical score compiled and performed by The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra, employing selections from the original 1928 Paramount cue-sheet

Beggars of Life (Kino Classics, Blu-ray & DVD)
Blu-ray and DVD Street Date: August 22, 2017
Blu-ray SRP: $29.95
DVD SRP: $19.95
Director: William A. Wellman
Starring: Wallace Beery, Richard Arlen, Louise Brooks
1928 / Adventure-Drama / 81 min / NR / B&W

VARIETÉ

Synopsis: A rediscovered masterpiece of the German silent cinema, Ewald André Dupont's Varieté is a visually dazzling tale of love and betrayal, foreshadowing such great works as F.W. Murnau's Sunrise and Josef von Sternberg's The Blue Angel. Emil Jannings (The Last Laugh) stars as a carnival spieler who becomes entranced by a waifish dancer (Lya de Putti), and gradually betrays his wife, his honor, and his self-respect in an effort to be the sole possessor of her love. The dynamic camerawork by Karl Freund influenced an entire generation of filmmakers, and can at last be fully appreciated in this exquisite restoration by the Friedrich-Wilhelm-Murnau-Stiftung.

Special Features:
Mastered from the 2015 restoration by the Friedrich-Wilhelm-Murnau-Stiftung and Filmarchiv Austria | New musical score performed by the Berklee Silent Film Orchestra | 2015 musical score performed by The Tiger Lillies | Visual essay by Bret Wood | "Varieté: The Making of," a 7-minute documentary on the Berklee Silent Film Orchestra | Othello (1922, Germany 79 min.), Dimitri Buchowetzki's adaptation of Shakespeare's drama of love and jealousy, also starring Emil Jannings and Lya de Putti

Varieté (Kino Classics, Blu-ray & DVD)
Blu-ray and DVD Street Date: August 22, 2017
Blu-ray SRP: $29.95
DVD SRP: $19.95
Director: Ewald André Dupont
Starring: Emil Jannings, Maly Delschaft, Lya De Putti
1925 / Crime-Drama / 112 min / NR / Color-Tinted

HOW TO ENTER

Both of these are long-awaited silent releases, so to enter, we're going to do something different: 1) please post in this thread a long-awaited silent release that finally came out and lived up to your hopes, and 2) post which of these you'd like (we'll worry about format if you're selected). US and Canada only, sorry international folks. I'll pick a winner in one week, Friday night the 25th. UPDATE: I'll be on the road then. I'll pick a winner on Saturday when I'm back.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Jim Reid

Re: Enter to win Beggars of Life and Variete from Kino Class

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 9:32 am

I have waited years for a DVD release of The Big Parade. The blu-ray that came out a few years ago exceeded my expectations by a mile. One of the most famous silent films, Big Parade was a triumph for the year old MGM and it's well deserved. Every part of this film was expertly done. Acting, direction, photography and especially production design. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing that this was MGM's answer to not winning the rights to What Price Glory. If so, it was the right answer. Warners did a gorgeous job with this release and made the wait we had for it worthwhile.

I've already ordered Beggars of Life so I'd like VARIETÉ. Thanks!

bigshot

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 10:45 am

I'm still waiting for Greed, so I will have to say Foolish Wives. I'd like to see Beggars of Life. I hope the contest doesn't take too long, because I suspect I'm going to break down and buy it.

oldposterho

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 11:32 am

Metropolis, hands down, although Wings is also magnificent.

Frankly, either one of these would be wildly appreciated, but if forced to choose, Ms. Brooks is a true favorite so it would have to be Beggars of Life.

drednm

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 11:56 am

Well I have to go with Ben Model's When Knighthood Was in Flower (1922) which had been around for decades in a dull, slow, muddy VHS copy from Videobrary ... better than nothing, but Ben's restoration is breathtaking in its immaculacy and for its living up to its 1922 hype and history as a blockbuster and as the film that established Marion Davies as a superstar.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Lorusso/e/ ... 203&sr=8-1

Rick Lanham

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 12:01 pm

I'll say Wings because I loved the restoration and the opening where all the older Paramount logos are shown. Also the awesome soundtrack.

I'll also mention The Artist, 'cause I waited a long time for a "new" silent film; even though it did play on the old themes.

I have Beggars of Life pre-ordered, so I'd choose Varieté.

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 12:47 pm

I hope the contest doesn't take too long

Oops! Just added an end date, knew I forgot something...

I pick Bardelys the Magnificent, because I never expected to see it but the one clip was so lovely that I always regretted its absence in Vidor's prime era. Not a great film, but certainly happy for it to pop back out of lostness and turn out to be perfectly enjoyable.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Dean Thompson

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 12:57 pm

I'm going to reach back a few years and select Redskin, which finally emerged on one of the Treasures sets. I'd wanted to see it since reading about it in Brownlow's The War, The West, and The Wilderness, and the raw visceral power of its themes of bullying and both intra- and interracial assimilation knocked me for a loop, as did the beautiful Technicolor sequences.

Beggars of Life, please.
Last edited by Dean Thompson on Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buskeat

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 1:19 pm

I was blown away by the Wings Blu-Ray release a few years ago. I still can't believe Paramount released that, it's like some rift in the space-time continuum let this enter our universe from an alternate plane.

Variete please. I've already pre-ordered Beggars of Life.

ajabrams

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 2:30 pm

I would say my favorite silent release on disc is Pandora's Box (though still awaiting a Blu-ray redo). Such a brilliant film--and what an amazing performance from Louise Brooks!!

I would request Variete, as I have pre-ordered Beggars of Life (more Brooks!!)

mwalls

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 3:34 pm

I will join the chorus and say Wings, as the print clarity is gorgeous.

Please put me down for Beggars if selected.

cuzzoni

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 4:29 pm

It's a tie between Wings and The Big Parade - I had seen both at UCLA on the big screen many years ago, but they were both very rarely shown on TV. Both Blu-rays are great - especially having the Gaylord Carter score on Wings.

As a prize I'd love Beggars of Life - which I've heard about and seen so many stills from over the years.

Craig

Saint-Just

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 5:45 pm

The British Blu-ray of Abel Gance's Napoleon - thank you very much Sirs Kevin Brownlow and Carl Davis. If I happen to be the winner I choose Variete.

Mitch Farish

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 8:53 pm

I never cared much for Intolerance until the Cohen Media Group release. With the meticulously restored image and Carl Davis' wonderful score I watched the whole film from beginning to end. Before, I always had to stop and come back later.

If I'm lucky enough to be the winner, I'd like Beggars of Life. Thanks for the opportunity!

rudyfan

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 11:10 pm

Oh, for me, Napoleon is one that lived up to everything. Also, KINOs The Sheik was a job beautifully done.

Beggars of Life for me!
Last edited by rudyfan on Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darren Nemeth

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 11:14 pm

Bluray of the restored Metropolis is my favorite long awaited release.

I like bluray.
Darren Nemeth
1966 Batboat Blog!
http://batboat.blogspot.com/

gerry

PostSat Aug 19, 2017 10:53 am

Without a doubt, CHILDREN OF DIVORCE. Never thought I would have a chance to see it!

Brooksie

PostSat Aug 19, 2017 12:03 pm

Wings was the first one that occurred to me, but I'll go back a little bit further and nominate Chicago (1927) for a number of reasons - it's one of those films I never expected to be able to see, and yet I've now seen it both on the big screen with a live accompaniment by Mauro Colombis (excellent) and on the small with the Mont Alto score (also excellent, as always). It's the rare silent that somehow retains its impact whether you're seeing it in a large crowd or by yourself on a basement TV. Complete with some good liner notes, it's everything you want in a silent release and remains a favourite.

I hope there will be a thread of this nature in a year or two in which I can add 'Universal's beautiful restoration of The Last Warning, which looks sterling on Blu Ray,' but at present it seems to touring the festivals only. We can hope!

Choosing between the two DVDs is a tough ask, but given that Varieté is another film I never expected to see any way but grainy and incomplete - let alone in several different releases, all of which appear to have had great care and attention lavished upon them - I'll nominate that.

tthacker

PostSat Aug 19, 2017 2:55 pm

Lots of choices out there, but I would have to go with Limite, a Brazilian silent avant-garde film from 1931. Rarely seen, it's a miracle that it still exists at all, let alone on blu ray. I'm probably one of the few people who like avant-garde films, so I'm happy to see it on any video format.

For the prize, I would choose Variete.

FilmGauge

PostSun Aug 20, 2017 3:15 pm

For me, it's Douglas Fairbanks' THE BLACK PIRATE. It's such a grand production, and the Technicolor is great.
I would like to choose BEGGARS OF LIFE.

goldenband

PostSun Aug 20, 2017 4:03 pm

My pick would be the 1910 version of Frankenstein, and (if I win) Varieté.

NotSoSilent

PostMon Aug 21, 2017 6:01 am

Mine is the Blu-ray of The Big Parade. It exceeded my expectations. Love that film and release!

If chosen, Beggars of Life would be FANTASTIC!

cinefan

PostMon Aug 21, 2017 10:15 am

I'll have to join the chorus for Wings, since it allowed me to retire my import DVD of dubious origin and middling (at best) quality.

For prize selection, I'll go with Variete (since my pre-order of the Beggars blu-ray is supposedly already on the way to me).

maliejandra

PostMon Aug 21, 2017 11:08 am

Wings went beyond my expectations for a silent film restoration. When they first came out, I scoffed at blu-ray and thought my VHS copies were just fine, but this one proved me wrong. It absolutely glows on blu-ray and it is the first restoration I recommend to my friends who want to see a beautiful silent film.

I would like Beggars of Life. :)

Red Bartlett

PostMon Aug 21, 2017 1:26 pm

I'm going to say Sunrise. I don't know the full history of it's release and/or whether or not is was "long-awaited" or not, but I will say -- I hadn't seen it before Eureka put out their blu-ray in 2011... and man, was I ever awestruck. Maybe the most amazing movie I had ever seen.

I'm excited to see both Beggars and Variete, but I'll pick Variete.

35MM

PostMon Aug 21, 2017 2:00 pm

Metropolis was worth waiting for. Have always been curious about Beggars of Life since I saw a clip as a bonus feature on another Louise Brooks disc (Pandora's Box?).
CURSES!

Gary Newman

PostMon Aug 21, 2017 5:06 pm

A film I never expected to see was William Gillette’s Sherlock Holmes. It was little more than a filmed stage production, but damn, when Gillette struck the same pose as in the famous Vanity Fair illustration, it was like ol’ Sherlock himself had walked into the room.

If I win, I'd be glad to get Beggars of Life. Don't miss Louise doing her own stunt work when she jumps onto the train.

Javier

PostMon Aug 21, 2017 6:35 pm

Having been content with the gorgeous releases of Wings, Sherlock Holmes and The Big Parade. I would say the release I was longing for, in all its splendour was Napoleon.
Let's hope The Wind, The Crowd and Greed will follow soon.

My choice on this matter would be Varieté.
"it's a Kafka high, you feel like a bug"

silentfilm

PostMon Aug 21, 2017 8:25 pm

For the longest time I only had 16mm prints of Harold Lloyd shorts, but now I have the Criterion disk of Harold Lloyd's Safety Last (1923) on BluRay and it looks and sound incredible.

I've never seen Variete before, so I pick that title.

missdupont

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 7:59 am

NAPOLEON was magnificent on all grounds. I'd take BEGGARS OF LIFE if I won.
Next

Return to Silent News