DIE LIEBE DER JEANNE NEY - new restoration

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Arndt

DIE LIEBE DER JEANNE NEY - new restoration

PostSat Aug 26, 2017 11:17 am

Last night I saw the new 2K restoration of DIE LIEBE DER JEANNE NEY (1927) in Cologne. The Murnaustiftung have restored the film from the print held at the Museum of Modern Art in New York City. They commissioned Bernd Thewes to compose an orchestral score from the piano music held at MoMA for the film. Earlier this year Frank Strobel had recorded the score with the WDR Funkhausorchester and earlier this week the new restoration had been premiered in in Berlin in front of an audience.
We saw the film with full orchestra, Frank Strobel conducting and the composer present. Unfortunately the auditorium at the WDR Funkhaus in Cologne, the home of a local TV station, was less than half full. I estimated about 250 patrons were there, who nevertheless applauded the musicians long and hard.
The film - my favourite Pabst - looks great in this new restoration and the music accompanied it wonderfully. It is always great to have a full orchestra to play the score. It struck me again how much like a Hitchcock film DIE LIEBE DER JEANNE NEY is. Fritz Rasp with his trademark sneer is especially vile in this.
This restoration will air on Arte later this year as part of their season celebrating UFA's 100th birthday. There will also be a DVD or bluray release. Next Monday Arte are showing the new restorations of WEGE ZU KRAFT UND SCHÖNHEIT and MÜNCHHAUSEN, as well as a new documentary on UFA.
MELIOR

Javier

Re: DIE LIEBE DER JEANNE NEY - new restoration

PostSat Aug 26, 2017 9:36 pm

About three evenings ago I watched the Kino release, and wondered after its release on video silence followed.
Glad to know there is a restored update on it.
Last night I watched Joe May's Asphalt, and I believe this one does deserves some upgrade as well.
I am not an expert on scores, but both of them seem very satisfactory (Kino releases)

If Eurika!/Masters Of Cinema or Kino/Lorber releases them on Blu-Ray I will buy them both again.

Too bad I miss all these films on the big screen.

Thank you for these news, wish I were there.
"it's a Kafka high, you feel like a bug"

Arndt

PostSun Aug 27, 2017 5:42 am

There is a new restoration of ASPHALT out on bluray. Unfortunately it seems to be only available as part of Murnaustiftung's "Jubiläumsedition" released in 2016.

https://www.amazon.de/50-Jahre-Murnau-Stiftung-Jubil%C3%A4umsedition-Blu-rays/dp/B01K429ZUY/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1503833797&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=fw+murnaustiftung+jubil%C3%A4umsedition

And even more unfortunately it only has German titles. Most probably that is because Murnaustiftung want to license the films abroad. So there is a chance that Kino or MoC will release a version.
MELIOR

Javier

PostSun Aug 27, 2017 5:53 pm

Arndt wrote:There is a new restoration of ASPHALT out on bluray. Unfortunately it seems to be only available as part of Murnaustiftung's "Jubiläumsedition" released in 2016.

https://www.amazon.de/50-Jahre-Murnau-Stiftung-Jubil%C3%A4umsedition-Blu-rays/dp/B01K429ZUY/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1503833797&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=fw+murnaustiftung+jubil%C3%A4umsedition

And even more unfortunately it only has German titles. Most probably that is because Murnaustiftung want to license the films abroad. So there is a chance that Kino or MoC will release a version.

Many thanks for your reply & the link to the box set,(the lack of English titles does not bother me) I will keep it on my wish list, until my wallet recovers from the last Silent film spending spree.
"it's a Kafka high, you feel like a bug"

moviepas

PostMon Aug 28, 2017 4:06 am

Arnt, does there seem to be a concerted effort to restore a number of German film productions these days from the 20s-30s? I just got the Eureka Westfront 1918 and Kameradschaft in Blu(as many of my purchases are these days) and loved them both. There are a number of pre-1933 talkies that were existing that I want to see and some are musicals. I can hope.

Arndt

PostMon Aug 28, 2017 9:23 am

moviepas wrote:Arnt, does there seem to be a concerted effort to restore a number of German film productions these days from the 20s-30s? I just got the Eureka Westfront 1918 and Kameradschaft in Blu(as many of my purchases are these days) and loved them both. There are a number of pre-1933 talkies that were existing that I want to see and some are musicals. I can hope.

Definitely. There are a number of institutions at work simultaneously and there is a steady if slow trickle of restored films coming out. Next week Arte are going to broadcast the restored print of DIE LIEBE DER JEANNE NEY together with VIKTOR UND VIKTORIA and DER MANN, DER SHERLOCK HOLMES war. Happy birthday, UFA, and thanks for the presents!
MELIOR

Decotodd

PostTue Aug 29, 2017 3:53 pm

Thanks for the update -- the restoration sounds great. After a recent visit to Berlin's terrific film museum, I was wondering if there was a good book on the history of the UFA studios in English. Any recommendations?

The documentary will hopefully be released in the States as well.
Democracy depends on informed citizens and elections have consequences -- vote!

ajabrams

PostTue Aug 29, 2017 4:52 pm

Decotodd wrote:Thanks for the update -- the restoration sounds great. After a recent visit to Berlin's terrific film museum, I was wondering if there was a good book on the history of the UFA studios in English. Any recommendations?

The documentary will hopefully be released in the States as well.

Yup --
http://www.amazon.com/UFA-Story-Germany ... ywords=UFA" target="_blank

George O'Brien

PostThu Aug 31, 2017 1:58 pm

A restoration of WEGE ZU KRAFT UND SCHÖNHEIT?

Perhaps we will be able to see for ourselves if Leni R. was one of the nearly naked dancers, as she always claimed.
"This bar of likker is now a bar of justice!"

oldposterho

PostFri Sep 01, 2017 7:42 am

There's a pretty nice version on the Arte website with a truly craptastic music score, I wonder if that's it?

Return to Silent News