New biography of William Fox, founder of Fox Film

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Vanda Krefft

New biography of William Fox, founder of Fox Film

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 6:01 pm

My biography of Fox Film founder William Fox, THE MAN WHO MADE THE MOVIES, will be published on November 28 by HarperCollins. After more than ten years of research, I came to believe that Fox was the most important of all the early studio founders. He was truly a hands-on producer--and a complex, enigmatic character who came to a tragic end. The book includes a lot of new information about the early development of the American motion picture industry as well as extensive discussions of A DAUGHTER OF THE GODS (1916, allegedly Hollywood's first million dollar movie), CLEOPATRA, THE IRON HORSE, SUNRISE, and 7TH HEAVEN, and has more than forty photos.

It's available now for pre-order:
https://www.amazon.com/Man-Who-Made-Mov ... the+movies" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

Re: New biography of William Fox, founder of Fox Film

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 6:05 pm

Very interesting, thank you for letting us know.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

linquist

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 5:00 am

Thank you very much. This is a much needed book. I will get it as soon as I can.

Vanda Krefft

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 4:25 pm

linquist wrote:Thank you very much. This is a much needed book. I will get it as soon as I can.

Thanks very much for your interest! I really appreciate it.

R. Cat

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 10:26 pm

Vanda Krefft wrote:
linquist wrote:Thank you very much. This is a much needed book. I will get it as soon as I can.

Vanda, assuming this is your first major work, congratulations are in order. This looks like an amazingly detailed biography (944 pages!) and Harper-Collins is a first tier publisher. I'll definitely be pre-ordering.

Vanda Krefft

PostFri Sep 15, 2017 6:02 pm

R. Cat wrote:
Vanda Krefft wrote:

Vanda, assuming this is your first major work, congratulations are in order. This looks like an amazingly detailed biography (944 pages!) and Harper-Collins is a first tier publisher. I'll definitely be pre-ordering.

Yes, this is my first book, and thank you for your encouragement! The book is quite detailed, because I kept finding more and more new information--not only about Fox's important contributions to motion pictures but also about the early development of the industry. Also, a lot of interesting people showed up along the way, even Leon Trotsky and a real-life figure from The Great Gatsby, gambler Herman Rosenthal.The text itself is "only" about 750 pages, with most of the rest of the pages devoted to endnotes, because I wanted readers to be able to check any and all facts. I hope you enjoy the book!

George O'Brien

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 5:50 pm

I can't wait to read this.

I have read excerpts of the memos between William Fox and Sol Wurtzel, and they made fascinating reading. Charles Farrell, in his old age, used to joke that he had worked for 19th Century Fox. William Fox, and the studio pre Zanuck has always gotten short shrift, when in fact it seems a story far more interesting than Mayer and MGM (a subject which has been done to death).

Thanks for writing this.
"This bar of likker is now a bar of justice!"

Vanda Krefft

PostFri Sep 22, 2017 10:04 am

George O'Brien wrote:I can't wait to read this.

I have read excerpts of the memos between William Fox and Sol Wurtzel, and they made fascinating reading. Charles Farrell, in his old age, used to joke that he had worked for 19th Century Fox. William Fox, and the studio pre Zanuck has always gotten short shrift, when in fact it seems a story far more interesting than Mayer and MGM (a subject which has been done to death).

Thanks for writing this.

Thank you, George O'Brien. That's a funny quote from Charles Farrell--I hadn't heard it before. Thanks for sharing it. Yes, I agree, Fox and Wurtzel had a very interesting relationship. Although it tends to be interpreted as simply abusive, I found more dimensions than that. I think Fox felt a certain kinship with Wurtzel because of their similar backgrounds and by being tough on him, he believed he was strengthening him. Agreed also (strongly, hence the book) that the pre-Zanuck studio has gotten short shrift. Fox built it out of nothing, through an ardent love of the movies and a fierce will to succeed, and he retained supreme authority until he was deposed in 1930. In the fifteen years that Fox ran the studio, it had many great achievements. I hope you enjoy the book!

Return to Silent News