FRITZ LANG SILENT BLU BOX from Kino

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Jim Roots

Re: FRITZ LANG SILENT BLU BOX from Kino

PostFri Oct 06, 2017 8:36 am

I had asked for clarification as to whether the poster was talking in Canadian dollars or American dollars. He didn't specify in his posting, so I was wondering which dollar it was.

True, you don't pay onerous duties when shipping out of Canada. The penalties come when you ship into Canada. I have mailed packages to the USA but not DVDs, and Canada Post's rates are crazy. When the US Postal Service increased their rates to Canada, though, things got equally crazy going the other way. I've had to sign for delivery charges of nearly $30 to take delivery of a couple of recent purchases of items costing $20.

In the end, I just wanted the poster to be sure he was getting the price he thought he was getting.

Jim

T0m M

PostFri Oct 06, 2017 8:42 am

In my experience, the biggest factor in Canad-USA cross border shipping is the carrier and associated brokerage fees. If it's shipped via the postal systems, then typically all you have to pay is the duty, if it's above the duty free amount, and whether you even pay that is all down to the mood of the person on duty. However, if it's being shipped via a private carrier service service, such as UPS or Fed Ex, then they pay the applicable duties on your behalf and tack on an often exorbitant service fee for handling the paperwork. These brokerage fees can quickly erase most or all savings.

BrianG

PostFri Oct 06, 2017 9:24 am

Jim Roots wrote:In the end, I just wanted the poster to be sure he was getting the price he thought he was getting.
Jim

I wasn't sure until I pre-ordered last night. I'm still not sure because I don't understand an almost $60 difference in price. I'm still leery about the Canada order after problems I began having with DVD's from Amazon UK. Twice my local post office received, then tried to return, UK DVD's (packages were stamped "not USPS"). I only got them because my mailman pulled them out of the return box and delivered them anyway. Tipping him good at Christmas paid off, but caused me to rethink orders from outside the US. If Amazon U.S. reduces the price of the Lang set, I'll cancel the Canada pre-order.

Jim Roots

PostFri Oct 06, 2017 12:06 pm

T0m M wrote:In my experience, the biggest factor in Canad-USA cross border shipping is the carrier and associated brokerage fees. If it's shipped via the postal systems, then typically all you have to pay is the duty, if it's above the duty free amount, and whether you even pay that is all down to the mood of the person on duty. However, if it's being shipped via a private carrier service service, such as UPS or Fed Ex, then they pay the applicable duties on your behalf and tack on an often exorbitant service fee for handling the paperwork. These brokerage fees can quickly erase most or all savings.

Yes, that's what I'm talking about. UPS charged me nearly $30 for a DVD that cost $20, just a few weeks ago.

Jim

Jim Roots

PostFri Oct 06, 2017 12:11 pm

BrianG wrote:
Jim Roots wrote:In the end, I just wanted the poster to be sure he was getting the price he thought he was getting.
Jim

I wasn't sure until I pre-ordered last night. I'm still not sure because I don't understand an almost $60 difference in price. I'm still leery about the Canada order after problems I began having with DVD's from Amazon UK. Twice my local post office received, then tried to return, UK DVD's (packages were stamped "not USPS"). I only got them because my mailman pulled them out of the return box and delivered them anyway. Tipping him good at Christmas paid off, but caused me to rethink orders from outside the US. If Amazon U.S. reduces the price of the Lang set, I'll cancel the Canada pre-order.

I don't know if this is a privilege of being a Commonwealth country, but I get fabulous postal service from the UK. Just recently I ordered three books from amazon.uk and they delivered in 4 days. Last winter I got the Steve Coogan Collection DVD from the same source and it delivered in about three business days. I order used books from British dealers all the time and, with very rare exceptions, they deliver within days ... and then follow up via email to make sure I got them.

Maybe you Americans made a mistake back in 1776...

Jim

T0m M

PostSat Oct 07, 2017 8:28 am

Jim Roots wrote:Yes, that's what I'm talking about. UPS charged me nearly $30 for a DVD that cost $20, just a few weeks ago.

Jim

Any item shipped from the USA with a value under $30 CDN is entitled to duty free and brokerage free entry. Private carriers often include the shipping, insurance and/or brokerage fees in this amount, so they can get it above $30 CDN and take their cut. However, provided the value is under $1600 CDN, there is a way to bypass any brokerage fees. It is called "self-clearing" and the carrier cannot prevent you from employing it. See here for how it works: http://trueler.com/2010/09/13/ups-broke ... -avoid-it/" target="_blank

I self-cleared a Doctor Who Series 1-7 box set that I ordered for my son a few years back. The CBSA officer didn't have a clue what I was talking about, nor did his superior. However, after I showed him the web print-outs he contacted his counterpart at the Windsor border crossing who conformed its legitimacy. IIRC, it saved me about $50 CDN.

I live close enough to a border crossing that I usually just have packages shipped to a friend on the USA side and go over to pick them up. However, some USA companies won't ship to addresses other than the billing address associated with the credit card. I guess that I can't blame them, given all the identity theft. Regardless, that's when the self-clearing process comes in handy for me.

Red Bartlett

PostTue Oct 17, 2017 10:10 pm

Clem Dickey

PostTue Oct 17, 2017 11:56 pm

Jim Roots wrote:I don't know if this is a privilege of being a Commonwealth country, but I get fabulous postal service from the UK. Just recently I ordered three books from amazon.uk and they delivered in 4 days.

My last couple of orders from UK to CA(lifornia) have been similarly speedy. Maybe CA is a charmed abbreviation. Or maybe it just that it not yet the holiday season.

Bob Furem

PostTue Oct 31, 2017 11:44 am

Major price drop today, folks, on Lang Blu-Ray box. $94.29.

BrianG

PostTue Oct 31, 2017 12:21 pm

Bob Furem wrote:Major price drop today, folks, on Lang Blu-Ray box. $94.29.

Thanks. Good news as I cancelled my Canadian order a couple days ago because my mailman is being reassigned. I've had too many problems in the past with non-USA orders that only got delivered because my previous mailguy pulled them out of a return box. I hate my post office and send all my outgoing mail from a neighboring town.

mwalls

PostTue Oct 31, 2017 12:29 pm

Bob Furem wrote:Major price drop today, folks, on Lang Blu-Ray box. $94.29.

Bob, thanks. I had been on the fence with this purchase, but that price is too good to pass. Ordered.

Matthew

David Alp

PostTue Oct 31, 2017 8:57 pm

So is this blu-ray box-set going to get a UK release by the Eureka: Masters of Cinema series? Because isn't that what usually happens with these Kino box-sets when they finally end up on British shores?

It's just that the reason I ask is because I have been caught out before with KINO. I've seen a box-set that is appealing, and is a Must-Have buy (such as this one). And I have waited and waited for it to come to Amazon.co.uk to no avail. So I've bought the KINO version from Amazon.com in America, only to risk being stung by import taxes.

And then a month or two down the road the Eureka Masters of Cinema guys go and release it legitimately in the UK.

bigshot

PostWed Nov 01, 2017 10:27 am

The UK companies usually do their own packages for box sets. They had a variant on the Vincent Price box and now they have a variant on the Harryhausen and Hammer Horror films. I generally buy the UK individual releases as a matter of course if it's available. They're cheaper and don't have the annoying mastering errors that Kino is subject to. If I was going to buy this box set to get the corrections Kino didn't do a disk replacement program on, I'd just buy the UK version and be done with it. I've been burned by Kino too often (Nosferatu, the Bava films, etc.)
Previous

Return to Silent News