FRITZ LANG SILENT BLU BOX from Kino

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Roscoe

FRITZ LANG SILENT BLU BOX from Kino

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 1:39 pm

Per Kino's Facebook page -- scroll all the way down to the bottom for the part I found really interesting...

Coming November 21st! Only on Blu-ray!
FRITZ LANG: THE SILENT FILMS
Includes 32 Page Booklet with essay by Tom Gunning
12 discs - Region A
Disc 1:
THE SPIDERS (Die Spinnen)
1919-1920 Germany 173 Min. Color Tinted
Part One: THE GOLDEN SEA 69 Min.
Part Two: THE DIAMOND SHIP 104 Min.
Music composed and performed by Ben Model
Disc 2:
HARAKIRI
1919 Germany 87 Min. Color Tinted
Music by Aljoscha Zimmermann
THE WANDERING SHADOW (Das Wandernde Bild)
1920 Germany 67 Min. Color Tinted
Note: Both films on Disc 2 are standard definition masters that have been up-converted for Blu-ray release.
Disc 3:
FOUR AROUND THE WOMAN(Kämpfende Herzen / Hearts in Struggle / Vier um die Frau)
1921 Germany 84 Min. Color Tinted
Disc 4:
DESTINY (Der müde Tod)
1921 Germany 98 Min. Color Tinted
Music composed by Cornelius Schwehr, performed by the Rundfunk-Sinfonieorchester Berlin (RSB)
SPECIAL FEATURES:
• Audio commentary by film historian Tim Lucas
• Restoration demonstration footage
• 2016 Re-release trailer
Discs 5-6
DR. MABUSE, THE GAMBLER (Dr. Mabuse, der Spieler)
1922 Germany 270 Min. B&W
Music (2001) by Aljoscha Zimmermann
SPECIAL FEATURES:
• “The Story Behind Dr. Mabuse,” (52 Min.), a three-part documentary exploring the musical score by Aljoscha Zimmermann, the career of novelist Norbert Jacques, and an analysis of the film
Discs 7-8:
DIE NIBELUNGEN
1924-1925 Germany Color Tinted
Disc 7: SIEGFRIED 149 Min.
Disc 8: KRIEMHILD’S REVENGE 131 Min.
Original score by Gottfried Huppertz
Performed by the Frankfurt Radio Symphony Orchestra
SPECIAL FEATURES:
• “The Legacy of the Nibelungen,” a 68-minute documentary on the making and restoration of the film, by Guido Altendorf and Anke Wilkening
• Newsreel footage taken on the set
Disc 9:
METROPOLIS
UFA 1927 Germany 148 Min. B&W
Original Score: Gottfried Huppertz
Performed by the Rundfunk-Sinfonieorchester Berlin (RSB)
SPECIAL FEATURES:
• “Voyage to Metropolis,” a 50-minute documentary on the making and restoration of the film
• Interview with Paula Felix-Didier, curator of the Museo del Cine, Buenos Aires, where previously missing footage was discovered
Disc 10:
SPIES (Spione)
1928 Germany 150 Min. B&W
Piano score (2005) by Neil Brand
SPECIAL FEATURES:
• “Spies: A Small Film With Lots of Action” (2006, 72 Min.) a documentary by Guido Altendorf and Anke Wilkening
• Original German theatrical trailer (5 min.) courtesy of the Austrian Film Museum, Vienna
Disc 11:
WOMAN IN THE MOON (Frau im Mond)
1929 Germany 169 Min. B&W
Piano score (2005) by Javier Pérez de Azpeitia.
SPECIAL FEATURES:
• “Woman in the Moon: The First Scientific Science Fiction Film,” a documentary on the making of the film (14 Min.)
Disc 12 (Bonus Disc):
THE PLAGUE OF FLORENCE (Pest in Florenz)
1919 Germany 102 Min. B&W
Directed by Otto Rippert - Screenplay by Fritz Lang
Based on “The Masque of the Red Death” by Edgar Allan Poe
Music (2014): Uwe Dierksen.
Note: SPIES and WOMAN IN THE MOON have been re-authored to correct an error in the aspect ratio that appeared in the first pressing of the single-disc Blu-ray releases. BOLD ADDED FOR EMPHASIS BY ME.
"If you lose this war, don't blame me."

www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com

Bob Furem

Re: FRITZ LANG SILENT BLU BOX from Kino

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 2:09 pm

So upset. Where do I order?

Roscoe

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 2:11 pm

Interesting that they finally admit to the error on the SPIES and WOMAN IN THE MOON Blus, which I don't think they've ever done before, unless I missed something. Here's hoping for an exchange program so that those of us who purchased the first batch can get the proper authored versions.

I'm not holding my breath.

bigshot

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 3:52 pm

Maybe they'll do a Murnau box and fix Nosferatu too. That is the biggest hot mess of a crappy bluray that I ever got suckered into buying.

Roscoe

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 4:31 pm

Well, Murnau-wise, there is that restoration of THE LAST LAUGH that they've been dragging their feet about releasing, so a big triple dip box set isn't out of the question...

Javier

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 5:44 pm

bigshot wrote:Maybe they'll do a Murnau box and fix Nosferatu too. That is the biggest hot mess of a crappy bluray that I ever got suckered into buying.

Would you care to elaborate, about the "maybe" Murnau Set? by Kino DVD/Blu-Ray and/or the Nosferatu Blu-ray (perhaps, the one you mentioned on your post?)

I would like to know.
"it's a Kafka high, you feel like a bug"

Ace_of_Sevens

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 9:55 pm

I already have Die Nibelungen, Woman in the Moon and Destiny. Hope they release Plague of Florence separate and let existing owners trade for corrected discs.

Battra92

PostFri Sep 15, 2017 8:32 am

I own the UK pressing of Die Nibelungen and the US pressing of Metropolis. I've been going with the UK Blus because they include German intertitles with English subtitles. I don't know why I prefer this but I just do.

I don't own any of the other films so at the right price I may have to double dip. One can never own enough copies of Metropolis.

Jim Roots

PostFri Sep 15, 2017 9:25 am

Ace_of_Sevens wrote:I already have Die Nibelungen, Woman in the Moon and Destiny. Hope they release Plague of Florence separate and let existing owners trade for corrected discs.

Agreed. The only discs I would need from this set are 2 and 12. Already got all the rest.

Jim

BrianG

PostFri Sep 15, 2017 9:32 am

I have Destiny and Metropolis on Blu and 4 others on dvd, but I'm probably going to double dip. Since it's near Christmas, I may ask my wife to "surprise me". Heck, last year, she totally surprised me with a $700, 5 vol set of The Count of Monte Cristo that I had my eye on for years. I don't know the cost of the Fritz Lang set, but it's got to be much cheaper that that. Maybe she'll think the Lang set is a bargain. My only disappointment, but no surprise, is that the Jon Mirsalis score from the Woman in the Moon dvd is not included. It's one of my all-time favorite scores.

bigshot

PostFri Sep 15, 2017 10:02 am

Javier wrote:Would you care to elaborate, about the "maybe" Murnau Set? by Kino DVD/Blu-Ray and/or the Nosferatu Blu-ray (perhaps, the one you mentioned on your post?)

Kino's release of Nosferatu was totally messed up. The way they did the conversion from silent speed to 24fps ended up dropping about 20% of the frames out of the film. Very choppy. Kino has never acknowledged the problem, but comparison with the UK disc of Nosferatu makes it blatantly obvious. If Kino waited for a Fritz Lang box set to fix the problems in two of the Lang films, maybe they'll do a box on Murnau and fix Nosferatu finally.

Javier

PostFri Sep 15, 2017 5:45 pm

Thanks for the information, perhaps I will upgrade to the UK blu-ray release of Nosferatu, unless the problem has been taken care of on the upcoming Kino box set.
"it's a Kafka high, you feel like a bug"

Nick_M

PostFri Sep 15, 2017 7:20 pm

Roscoe wrote:Disc 2:
HARAKIRI
1919 Germany 87 Min. Color Tinted
THE WANDERING SHADOW (Das Wandernde Bild)
1920 Germany 67 Min. Color Tinted
Note: Both films on Disc 2 are standard definition masters that have been up-converted for Blu-ray release.

Blech... I can just imagine the disaster if they were speed-corrected at 480i and Kino tried to force them into 1080p.

bigshot

PostFri Sep 15, 2017 8:37 pm

I see absolutely no point to up conversions. My Oppo does a better job of up converting than the up converted blu-rays I've been saddled with.

Battra92

PostMon Sep 18, 2017 9:49 am

bigshot wrote:I see absolutely no point to up conversions. My Oppo does a better job of up converting than the up converted blu-rays I've been saddled with.

Indeed. I saw a post elsewhere speaking about this issue from the perspective of anime releases. A lot of times it's better to just put SD content on a Blu Ray and let the player upconvert it versus doing it before mastering it.

Bob Furem

PostMon Sep 18, 2017 11:41 am

Just what is the aspect ratio problem in Spies and Woman In the Moon?

BenModel

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 9:02 am

Thanks for posting about this. I had no idea this box was happening, and am pleased to see it includes THE SPIDERS which I did a digital orch score for.

Ben
Undercrank Productions - rare silents on DVD/Blu available on Amazon
follow @silentfilmmusic on Twitter
Silent Film Music Podcast available on Apple Podcasts and on Stitcher.

R. Cat

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 10:55 am

Bob Furem wrote:Just what is the aspect ratio problem in Spies and Woman In the Moon?

Here's the skinny on the aspect ratio controversy (1.28:1 vs 1.33:1) discussed in the DVDBeaver review of Spione (Spies)...

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-ray_ ... lu-ray.htm

Screen captures reflect the discussion points.

Bob Furem

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 11:37 am

R. Cat wrote:
Bob Furem wrote:Just what is the aspect ratio problem in Spies and Woman In the Moon?

Here's the skinny on the aspect ratio controversy (1.28:1 vs 1.33:1) discussed in the DVDBeaver review of Spione (Spies)...

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-ray_ ... lu-ray.htm" target="_blank" target="_blank

Screen captures reflect the discussion points.

Thank you!

Bob Furem

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 12:22 pm

Read it and weep. $149.95 on Amazon. C'mon, price drop.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 12:40 pm

A little over $10 per blu-ray. Honestly, I was expecting quite a bit more.

And I see that DVD Beaver sides with Kino on the aspect ratio thing.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

R. Cat

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 4:49 pm

Mike Gebert wrote:A little over $10 per blu-ray. Honestly, I was expecting quite a bit more.

Mike, that's an excellent way to assess the dollar value ratio. As for the aspect ratio, I'm not sure who's correct. Without a definitive decree from the Murnau Foundation on the original release's aspect ratio and which distributor's files reflect the restoration it's difficult determining which is accurate. It can't be both, that's for sure. Apparently someone slipped up somewhere along the line. Was it KINO or Eureka? Your guess is as good as mine. Both can't be right.

Professor Echo

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 6:23 am

R. Cat wrote:
Mike Gebert wrote:A little over $10 per blu-ray. Honestly, I was expecting quite a bit more.

Mike, that's an excellent way to assess the dollar value ratio. As for the aspect ratio, I'm not sure who's correct. Without a definitive decree from the Murnau Foundation on the original release's aspect ratio and which distributor's files reflect the restoration it's difficult determining which is accurate. It can't be both, that's for sure. Apparently someone slipped up somewhere along the line. Was it KINO or Eureka? Your guess is as good as mine. Both can't be right.

I actually met with an archivist at the Murnau-Stiftung in Wiesbaden, Germany last year for the specific purpose of answering this question and she stated that "something went wrong" with the Kino transfers of those two Lang films and the Pabst film, DIARY OF A LOST GIRL. She said the Eureka MOC transfers were correct, not the KINO ones. I posted this information on Blu-ray.com, but there was no response from the KINO rep, "MisterLime."

R. Cat

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 9:40 am

Professor Echo wrote:
R. Cat wrote:

I actually met with an archivist at the Murnau-Stiftung in Wiesbaden, Germany last year for the specific purpose of answering this question and she stated that "something went wrong" with the Kino transfers of those two Lang films and the Pabst film, DIARY OF A LOST GIRL. She said the Eureka MOC transfers were correct, not the KINO ones. I posted this information on Blu-ray.com, but there was no response from the KINO rep, "MisterLime."

Thanks for the follow-up, Professor. In lieu of evidence that contradicts the restorer's assertion about file transfers, that would appear to be the last word.

I can understand the head scratching because screen captures leave the impression that KINO's skinnier width transfer is proportionally correct. But unless there's a missing optical soundtrack ...or unutilized space made for such..., I can't fathom a logical reason for reducing the width of the framed image from the widely accepted standard 1.33:1 aspect ratio.

BTW, I'm not trying to find fault or criticize any distributor's intent, just seeking some sort of resolution to this mystery.

Rick Lanham

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 10:08 am

Kino's answer appears in the first posting, where they claim that they are correcting the aspect ratios on the two Lang films:

"Note: SPIES and WOMAN IN THE MOON have been re-authored to correct an error in the aspect ratio that appeared in the first pressing of the single-disc Blu-ray releases…"

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

R. Cat

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 12:15 pm

Rick Lanham wrote:Kino's answer appears in the first posting, where they claim that they are correcting the aspect ratios on the two Lang films:

"Note: SPIES and WOMAN IN THE MOON have been re-authored to correct an error in the aspect ratio that appeared in the first pressing of the single-disc Blu-ray releases…"

Rick

Fully got that, Rick. The unresolved issue is which of these releases actually embody the original aspect ratios of the films in question. KINO's first pressing "looks" visually correct, but doesn't reflect the restorer's HD files. My Eureka MOC edition of Spione is in sync with the Murnau-Stiftung files. Do the restoration files as authored represent the aspect ratio of these films as originally released in theaters? Who knows.

BrianG

PostWed Oct 04, 2017 12:23 pm

Any reason not to pre-order this set from amazon.ca where it's cheaper than the US?

Jim Roots

PostWed Oct 04, 2017 2:50 pm

BrianG wrote:Any reason not to pre-order this set from amazon.ca where it's cheaper than the US?

Are you converting the Canadian price into US dollars? Then, are you adding the exorbitant postage costs, taxes and duties, etc. involved in shipping from Canada across the border? There's a reason why NitrateVille has a tonne of postings from me and other Canadians about how we end up paying $60 for a DVD that costs $20 in the USA.

Jim

Robert W

PostThu Oct 05, 2017 6:00 pm

I'm confused by your reasoning, Jim. With the exchange rate between the Canadian vs. U.S. dollar, Americans will save an additional 30% or so off the Canadian price of $104, with a similar 30% savings off the postage, which is admittedly going to be higher than the same shipment originating out of the U.S. . It certainly won't eat up the $30 savings off the $104 Canadian cost of the discs.

It's up to the American buyer to check on possible duties payable at their end, but in my experience 90% of the movies I purchase from the U.S. show up in my mailbox without any duties payable whatsoever. Are you buying discs in huge quantities ? My orders are usually just for two or three discs at most, which usually slips under the radar for any duties .

Surely somebody on here has been taking advantage of the out-of-whack exchange rate to pick up some deals from Canada and can advise any shipping or duty problems if any.

BrianG

PostThu Oct 05, 2017 8:48 pm

I've ordered CD's and shave goods from Canada without paying a duty. Amazon.ca seemed like too good a deal for a US buyer which is why I asked. I have it pre-ordered from the Canada site and total with (Standard International-approx 2 weeks) shipping to the US is $114.95 CDN. By my estimate that's about $92 USD unless I'm missing something.
Next

Return to Silent News