FRITZ LANG SILENT BLU BOX from Kino

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Jim Roots

Re: FRITZ LANG SILENT BLU BOX from Kino

PostFri Oct 06, 2017 8:36 am

I had asked for clarification as to whether the poster was talking in Canadian dollars or American dollars. He didn't specify in his posting, so I was wondering which dollar it was.

True, you don't pay onerous duties when shipping out of Canada. The penalties come when you ship into Canada. I have mailed packages to the USA but not DVDs, and Canada Post's rates are crazy. When the US Postal Service increased their rates to Canada, though, things got equally crazy going the other way. I've had to sign for delivery charges of nearly $30 to take delivery of a couple of recent purchases of items costing $20.

In the end, I just wanted the poster to be sure he was getting the price he thought he was getting.

Jim

T0m M

PostFri Oct 06, 2017 8:42 am

In my experience, the biggest factor in Canad-USA cross border shipping is the carrier and associated brokerage fees. If it's shipped via the postal systems, then typically all you have to pay is the duty, if it's above the duty free amount, and whether you even pay that is all down to the mood of the person on duty. However, if it's being shipped via a private carrier service service, such as UPS or Fed Ex, then they pay the applicable duties on your behalf and tack on an often exorbitant service fee for handling the paperwork. These brokerage fees can quickly erase most or all savings.

BrianG

PostFri Oct 06, 2017 9:24 am

Jim Roots wrote:In the end, I just wanted the poster to be sure he was getting the price he thought he was getting.
Jim

I wasn't sure until I pre-ordered last night. I'm still not sure because I don't understand an almost $60 difference in price. I'm still leery about the Canada order after problems I began having with DVD's from Amazon UK. Twice my local post office received, then tried to return, UK DVD's (packages were stamped "not USPS"). I only got them because my mailman pulled them out of the return box and delivered them anyway. Tipping him good at Christmas paid off, but caused me to rethink orders from outside the US. If Amazon U.S. reduces the price of the Lang set, I'll cancel the Canada pre-order.

Jim Roots

PostFri Oct 06, 2017 12:06 pm

T0m M wrote:In my experience, the biggest factor in Canad-USA cross border shipping is the carrier and associated brokerage fees. If it's shipped via the postal systems, then typically all you have to pay is the duty, if it's above the duty free amount, and whether you even pay that is all down to the mood of the person on duty. However, if it's being shipped via a private carrier service service, such as UPS or Fed Ex, then they pay the applicable duties on your behalf and tack on an often exorbitant service fee for handling the paperwork. These brokerage fees can quickly erase most or all savings.

Yes, that's what I'm talking about. UPS charged me nearly $30 for a DVD that cost $20, just a few weeks ago.

Jim

Jim Roots

PostFri Oct 06, 2017 12:11 pm

BrianG wrote:
Jim Roots wrote:In the end, I just wanted the poster to be sure he was getting the price he thought he was getting.
Jim

I wasn't sure until I pre-ordered last night. I'm still not sure because I don't understand an almost $60 difference in price. I'm still leery about the Canada order after problems I began having with DVD's from Amazon UK. Twice my local post office received, then tried to return, UK DVD's (packages were stamped "not USPS"). I only got them because my mailman pulled them out of the return box and delivered them anyway. Tipping him good at Christmas paid off, but caused me to rethink orders from outside the US. If Amazon U.S. reduces the price of the Lang set, I'll cancel the Canada pre-order.

I don't know if this is a privilege of being a Commonwealth country, but I get fabulous postal service from the UK. Just recently I ordered three books from amazon.uk and they delivered in 4 days. Last winter I got the Steve Coogan Collection DVD from the same source and it delivered in about three business days. I order used books from British dealers all the time and, with very rare exceptions, they deliver within days ... and then follow up via email to make sure I got them.

Maybe you Americans made a mistake back in 1776...

Jim

T0m M

PostSat Oct 07, 2017 8:28 am

Jim Roots wrote:Yes, that's what I'm talking about. UPS charged me nearly $30 for a DVD that cost $20, just a few weeks ago.

Jim

Any item shipped from the USA with a value under $30 CDN is entitled to duty free and brokerage free entry. Private carriers often include the shipping, insurance and/or brokerage fees in this amount, so they can get it above $30 CDN and take their cut. However, provided the value is under $1600 CDN, there is a way to bypass any brokerage fees. It is called "self-clearing" and the carrier cannot prevent you from employing it. See here for how it works: http://trueler.com/2010/09/13/ups-broke ... -avoid-it/" target="_blank

I self-cleared a Doctor Who Series 1-7 box set that I ordered for my son a few years back. The CBSA officer didn't have a clue what I was talking about, nor did his superior. However, after I showed him the web print-outs he contacted his counterpart at the Windsor border crossing who conformed its legitimacy. IIRC, it saved me about $50 CDN.

I live close enough to a border crossing that I usually just have packages shipped to a friend on the USA side and go over to pick them up. However, some USA companies won't ship to addresses other than the billing address associated with the credit card. I guess that I can't blame them, given all the identity theft. Regardless, that's when the self-clearing process comes in handy for me.

Red Bartlett

PostTue Oct 17, 2017 10:10 pm

Clem Dickey

PostTue Oct 17, 2017 11:56 pm

Jim Roots wrote:I don't know if this is a privilege of being a Commonwealth country, but I get fabulous postal service from the UK. Just recently I ordered three books from amazon.uk and they delivered in 4 days.

My last couple of orders from UK to CA(lifornia) have been similarly speedy. Maybe CA is a charmed abbreviation. Or maybe it just that it not yet the holiday season.

Bob Furem

PostTue Oct 31, 2017 11:44 am

Major price drop today, folks, on Lang Blu-Ray box. $94.29.

BrianG

PostTue Oct 31, 2017 12:21 pm

Bob Furem wrote:Major price drop today, folks, on Lang Blu-Ray box. $94.29.

Thanks. Good news as I cancelled my Canadian order a couple days ago because my mailman is being reassigned. I've had too many problems in the past with non-USA orders that only got delivered because my previous mailguy pulled them out of a return box. I hate my post office and send all my outgoing mail from a neighboring town.

mwalls

PostTue Oct 31, 2017 12:29 pm

Bob Furem wrote:Major price drop today, folks, on Lang Blu-Ray box. $94.29.

Bob, thanks. I had been on the fence with this purchase, but that price is too good to pass. Ordered.

Matthew

David Alp

PostTue Oct 31, 2017 8:57 pm

So is this blu-ray box-set going to get a UK release by the Eureka: Masters of Cinema series? Because isn't that what usually happens with these Kino box-sets when they finally end up on British shores?

It's just that the reason I ask is because I have been caught out before with KINO. I've seen a box-set that is appealing, and is a Must-Have buy (such as this one). And I have waited and waited for it to come to Amazon.co.uk to no avail. So I've bought the KINO version from Amazon.com in America, only to risk being stung by import taxes.

And then a month or two down the road the Eureka Masters of Cinema guys go and release it legitimately in the UK.

bigshot

PostWed Nov 01, 2017 10:27 am

The UK companies usually do their own packages for box sets. They had a variant on the Vincent Price box and now they have a variant on the Harryhausen and Hammer Horror films. I generally buy the UK individual releases as a matter of course if it's available. They're cheaper and don't have the annoying mastering errors that Kino is subject to. If I was going to buy this box set to get the corrections Kino didn't do a disk replacement program on, I'd just buy the UK version and be done with it. I've been burned by Kino too often (Nosferatu, the Bava films, etc.)

MattBarry

PostMon Nov 20, 2017 9:49 am

Here's a look at the layout of our Fritz Lang box, which will be released tomorrow. It includes a 32-page booklet essay by film historian Tom Gunning.
__
Matt Barry
Kino Lorber, Inc.

Saint-Just

PostSun Nov 26, 2017 8:42 am

I checked out Destiny and it repeats every - fifth? - frame. So the the visual rhythm is totally destroyed.

Rick Lanham

PostMon Dec 04, 2017 10:53 pm

“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

MattBarry

PostThu Dec 07, 2017 10:09 am

Here are a few other reviews that the Fritz Lang Silent Films collection has received so far:

Nerdist:
"The films are beyond influential, and the discs are full of extras including commentaries and full documentaries. If you’ve never encountered much of German expressionist silent cinema, or Fritz Lang’s work specifically, this set is a must-have for movie lovers. And hey, just in time for Christmas!"
https://nerdist.com/fritz-lang-metropol ... et-review/" target="_blank" target="_blank

Village Voice:
"Even more ambitiously and fanboy-satisfying in its way is Kino’s mega-box Fritz Lang: The Silent Films, which Blu-ray-izes all eleven of Lang’s surviving German silents....How could one live without the whole brick, the die-hard cineaste snorts, as he or she skulks to the ancestral screening sanctum once again and vanishes into the silver fog of true movie love."
https://www.villagevoice.com/2017/12/06 ... eo-lovers/" target="_blank" target="_blank

Boston Herald:
"Looking for that special gift for a film fiend friend? Check out the extraordinary new collection: FRITZ LANG THE SILENT FILMS. If German silent cinema was a towering influence around the world – and it was, Lang reigned as its ruler."
http://www.bostonherald.com/entertainme ... e_nominees" target="_blank" target="_blank

Movies Silently:
"This is an excellent gift for the film nerd in your life and I can also see it appealing to sci-fi/fantasy geeks given Lang’s enormous influence on the genres."
http://moviessilently.com/2017/11/28/un ... luray-set/" target="_blank" target="_blank

Classic Movie Hub:
http://www.classicmoviehub.com/blog/fri ... -december/" target="_blank" target="_blank

LA Times:
"Impress even the most hardcore film fans with this 12-disc collection spanning the complete silent work of the endlessly influential German expressionist filmmaker, from 'Spies' to 'The Spiders,' and, of course, his sci-fi masterpiece 'Metropolis.'"
http://www.latimes.com/home/la-hm-gg-mo ... story.html" target="_blank" target="_blank

Blu-ray Authority:
https://www.blurayauthority.com/holiday-gift-guide/" target="_blank" target="_blank

Filmmaker Magazine:
"As far as film courses in a box go, you can’t beat this 12-disc set from Kino Lorber, which collects the entire silent output of probably the most significant and influential director of his era."
http://filmmakermagazine.com/103923-des ... hmMy1WnGM8" target="_blank" target="_blank

Flavorwire:
"Few filmmakers of the silent era had as much impact as the great German stylist Fritz Lang, whose films were instrumental to the look and feel of the German expressionist movement, and whose Metropolis (above) influenced literally 90 years of cinematic future dystopias. This stunning new box set from Kino-Lorber collects his surviving silent features, eleven in all, beautifully restored and supplemented. Sure, start with Metropolis – but every one of these is a gem, challenging yet engaging, aesthetically striking yet emotionally audacious"
http://flavorwire.com/611528/the-11-bes ... e-mudbound" target="_blank" target="_blank

Huffington Post:
"Fritz Lang: The Silent Films is just a gorgeous, beautiful boxed set. Any serious cinephile will feel a rush of pleasure just holding it in their hands. It contains eleven films — many of them landmarks of cinema — by one of the screen’s great directors. Just listing them is fun, but rest assured the prints are gorgeous, the extras plentiful and this is an exemplary set by any standard. Among the films? Metropolis, Spies, Dr. Mabuse, The Gambler, The Spiders, Die Nibelungen and more. Sci-fi, serial cliffhangers, mysteries and more — Lang covered a range of genres with flair and fun. Worth every penny."
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/dv ... 0a107bfdcb" target="_blank" target="_blank

Indiewire:
"This is the perfect present for anyone who cares about cinema's past. Or, for that matter, anyone who just wants to put on a perfect movie and enjoy the best of what the medium has to offer."
http://www.indiewire.com/gallery/best-f ... undefined/" target="_blank" target="_blank

Glenn Erickson, CineSavant:
"Hard-media home video is making a comeback, and Kino Lorber shows its faith in the medium with an extravagant collection of its entire silent holdings of the Fritz Lang library. Mythical heroes, sacrificing heroines, criminal madmen and uncontrolled super-science are his themes; it’s a paranoid’s view of the first half of the 20th Century, expressed with fantastic innovations that literally re-write the rules of cinema."
https://trailersfromhell.com/fritz-lang ... ent-films/" target="_blank" target="_blank

Robert Harris, Home Theater Forum:
"Highly Recommended"
https://www.hometheaterforum.com/commun ... ay.355015/" target="_blank" target="_blank

DVDTalk:
"Fritz Lang: The Silent Films is an excellent set, presenting a collection of the director's classic silent works in, mostly, excellent shape, with lossless audio and a nice selection of extras. The movies themselves hold up remarkably well, shining examples of just how interesting, creative and adventurous silent cinema could be."
https://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/72627/f ... ent-films/" target="_blank

Diabolique Magazine:
"[Kino Lorber's] latest Lang offering—a 12-disc Blu-ray box set, Fritz Lang: The Silent Films—is one of the essential releases of the year and thus far is the reigning champion in terms of Lang on Blu-ray."
Part One: https://diaboliquemagazine.com/fritz-la ... -part-one/" target="_blank" target="_blank
Part Two: https://diaboliquemagazine.com/fritz-la ... -part-two/" target="_blank" target="_blank
__
Matt Barry
Kino Lorber, Inc.

Mark Zimmer

PostFri Dec 08, 2017 2:25 pm

Saint-Just wrote:I checked out Destiny and it repeats every - fifth? - frame. So the the visual rhythm is totally destroyed.

Step printing is utterly unnecessary in the Blu-ray format. Disappointing.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostFri Dec 08, 2017 8:52 pm

Just got this today. Quite an impressive little box with nice art throughout and a booklet.

Destiny looks very good. I'll take your word for it that it's step-printed, because it's imperceptible to me (especially given that some scenes are a bit choppy anyway), but I looked for parts where the footage seemed complete and I saw no issues.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Nosferatu

PostSat Dec 09, 2017 7:21 am

Thanks for the perspective Mike. That last post had me worried. Honestly, this is a dream set. It would be far more tempting if I didn't have all but one of these features, all in dvd format. I haven't even opened the Early Lang set yet.

Lou Lou

PostSun Dec 10, 2017 3:22 am

I am a little concerned about the cardboard holders for the discs. The Murnau Borzage box set, Hitchcock set, and many others all had issues, glue on the discs, scratched discs, difficulty removing discs.

How does this one do?

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostSun Dec 10, 2017 9:49 am

I had no difficulty removing them, I see no glue, I got no scratches. Honestly, I've had no problems with any such set, though—if I get a scratched disk it's because the standard plastic spindle broke, leaving the disk to bounce around in its case.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Saint-Just

PostSun Dec 10, 2017 10:01 pm

I would have thought, in this day and age, step printing would have disappeared completely - there's no need for it whatsoever.

Thad Komorowski

PostMon Dec 11, 2017 9:28 am

You'd think so, but you'd be wrong. Plenty of archives still send out their masters with step-framing, and I think, unfortunately, there's not much of a choice when you're the licensee.
Previous

Return to Silent News