THE LAST LAUGH Blu Ray Upgrade

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Roscoe

THE LAST LAUGH Blu Ray Upgrade

PostFri Sep 15, 2017 11:46 am

Per Kino's Facebook page:

Coming November 14th on DVD and Blu-ray!
2K restoration by the Friedrich-Wilhelm-Murnau-Stiftung
THE LAST LAUGH (1924) (2-Disc Set) - Directed by F.W. Murnau - Production Design: Edgar G. Ulmer - Starring Emil Jannings, Maly Delschaft, Max Hiller, Emilie Kurz
SPECIAL FEATURES:
• New musical score (2017) by the Berklee Silent Film Orchestra
• Original 1924 score by Giuseppe Becce, orchestrated by Detlev Glanert (2003)
• Audio commentary by film historian Noah Isenberg
• “The Last Laugh: The Making of,” a 40-minute documentary
• Bonus DVD featuring the unrestored export version with music by Timothy Brock, performed by the Olympia Chamber Orchestra
"If you lose this war, don't blame me."

www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com

SilentsPlease

Re: THE LAST LAUGH Blu Ray Upgrade

PostSat Sep 16, 2017 9:14 am

Wonder what kind of phuck-ups Kino would do to this release. And yes, UK has already released this on Region-B Blu-ray last year. It is a 5-film set called "Early Murnau," which also includes The Haunted Castle, Phantom, The Grand Duke's Finances, and Tartuffe, all with newly restored prints from the F.W. Murnau foundation. DVDBeaver's review is here.

Scoundrel

PostSat Sep 16, 2017 2:36 pm

Your enthusiasm is an inspiration to us all.

Seriously, how about letting KINO release their product before you micturate all over it ...?
" You can't take life too seriously...you'll never get out of it alive."

Blackhawk Films customer

SilentsPlease

PostSat Sep 16, 2017 3:26 pm

Scoundrel wrote:Your enthusiasm is an inspiration to us all.

Seriously, how about letting KINO release their product before you micturate all over it ...?

And how about you adjust your attitude completely and wait till they actually produce a great product before you come to their defense? Kino has earned my distrust and many others', and deserves to be spoken of disparagingly. If the customers are accustomed to getting problematic results from them, my low opinion is what they expect to get.

This is a company that released "Spies" in the wrong aspect ratio, had the error pointed out to them, didn't admit the error and actually accused Eureka of being wrong, had F.W. Murnau Foundation comfirmed Eureka was indeed right, and still was brazen enough to call the accusers "Eureka fanboys" and tell them to "get a life":

(Click image to enlarge)

So it's really touching to think they still have staunch defenders like you. Or are you just not well-informed about these things in an "ignorance is bliss" kind of way?

bigshot

PostMon Sep 18, 2017 11:55 pm

I just ordered the Eureka Murnau set at amazon uk. It's gotten great reviews and it has five films for 25 pounds. Can't beat that with a stick.

Harlett O'Dowd

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 7:05 am

SilentsPlease wrote:

And how about you adjust your attitude completely and wait till they actually produce a great product before you come to their defense? Kino has earned my distrust and many others', and deserves to be spoken of disparagingly. If the customers are accustomed to getting problematic results from them, my low opinion is what they expect to get.

God bless 'Murica - where one is guilty until proven competent

SilentsPlease

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 12:16 pm

Harlett O'Dowd wrote:
SilentsPlease wrote:

God bless 'Murica - where one is guilty until proven competent

They are ALREADY proven incompetent with a string of technical issues with their Blu-rays the past few years. You are acting like nothing has ever happened and I'm talking nonsense here. So sad. Or are you another ignorance-is-bliss type of person?

Scoundrel

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 9:05 am

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/posts/4526051/
" You can't take life too seriously...you'll never get out of it alive."

Blackhawk Films customer

Harlett O'Dowd

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 10:42 am

SilentsPlease wrote:

They are ALREADY proven incompetent with a string of technical issues with their Blu-rays the past few years. You are acting like nothing has ever happened and I'm talking nonsense here. So sad. Or are you another ignorance-is-bliss type of person?

No, I'm the if-you-don't-have-something-nice-to-say-don't-say-anything-at-all-well-at-least-until-something-has-actually-happened type of person
Last edited by Harlett O'Dowd on Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bob Furem

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 11:12 am

bigshot wrote:I just ordered the Eureka Murnau set at amazon uk. It's gotten great reviews and it has five films for 25 pounds. Can't beat that with a stick.

The Murnau Box is great. I will be taking a pass on Kino's The Last Laugh. I am not here to bash Kino, for I have many wonderful releases by them. However, their quality control has never been as good as Criterion, Eureka, Flicker Alley, and others (Arrow Academy is my new fave)...and they never respond to a customer inquiry...EVER. The field is getting crowded, what with all-region players, so they should up their game if they wish to continue getting my hard-earned dollars. Having said that, I did hold my nose and order the new Lang set. We will see. Anyone wanna buy some slightly used, but mint, Lang Blu-Rays?

Red Bartlett

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 11:56 am

bigshot wrote:I just ordered the Eureka Murnau set at amazon uk. It's gotten great reviews and it has five films for 25 pounds. Can't beat that with a stick.

Me too, just now. Dragged my feet long enough on the Early Murnau set.

SilentsPlease

PostWed Sep 27, 2017 9:13 am

Harlett O'Dowd wrote:
SilentsPlease wrote:

No, I'm the if-you-don't-have-something-nice-to-say-don't-say-anything-at-all-well-at-least-until-something-has-actually-happened type of person

If Kino is not nice to you, why are you being nice to them? I'm amazed I have to teach you these things. Kino has a contemptuous attitude towards its customers as I mentioned. So feel free to be "nice" to them all you want. My comment was bad for Kino but *NICE* for consumers like you so that you can heed my warning and avoid potential lemons from this not-so-nice company.

Roscoe

PostTue Nov 14, 2017 6:23 pm

Got the Kino Blu-Ray. Looks and sounds great -- that Berklee School score is terrific. So glad to have this version. I haven't seen any reviews of the Blu-Ray from the likes of DVDBeaver or Blu-Ray.com or anything -- it worked for me just fine.

MattBarry

PostTue Nov 14, 2017 10:15 pm

Glenn Erickson's review at CineSavant:
https://trailersfromhell.com/the-last-laugh/
__
Matt Barry
Kino Lorber, Inc.

Roscoe

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 7:35 am

Thanks for sharing that, Matt -- I like what Erickson says about the terrible 16mm prints obscuring the genius we film students were supposed to be seeing. I was just blown away by this restoration in San Francisco -- it was like I'd never seen the film before, largely because I hadn't, it seems.

Thanks for bringing this Blu-Ray to us. And for including that marvelous Berklee score.

bigshot

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 11:25 am

I did a lecture on acting for animation at Art Center College of Design in Pasadena last week and I used a clip from the end of The Last Laugh as an example. I had clips from Chaplin's City Lights and Barrymore in 20th Century too. The students were fascinated by the physical acting and the way the scenes were set up and edited. After my program I had kids with their sketchbooks all around me asking for titles so they could seek out the films.

Nosferatu

PostSun Nov 19, 2017 11:40 am

I have no problems with kino myself. It might be due to fact that to this day I have never purchased one of their Blu rays. They almost always release everything in dvd. Even new titles like beggars of life which are also at a reduced rate, I payed about $11 at importcds. The remaster of The Penalty was hard to resist but I did like the strange soundtrack from their previous release. The last laugh I prefer kinos first soundtrack DVD over the second one.

Return to Silent News