The Games of the V Olympiad Stockholm, 1912

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

syd

The Games of the V Olympiad Stockholm, 1912

PostSun Oct 01, 2017 2:05 pm

"This is the 1st Blu-ray of Criterion's Thirty-Two Blu-ray Special Edition 100 Years of Olympic Films that contains 53 newly restored films from 41 editions of the Olympic Games, presented together for the first time. It boasts landmark 4K restorations of Olympia, Tokyo Olympiad, and Visions of Eight, among other titles with new scores for the silent films, composed by Maud Nelissen, Donald Sosin, and Frido ter Beek. It also contains a lavishly illustrated, 216-page hardcover book, featuring notes on the films by cinema historian Peter Cowie; a foreword by Thomas Bach, President of the International Olympic Committee; a short history of the restoration project by restoration producer Adrian Wood; and hundreds of photographs from a century of Olympic Games. This package will be released on December 5th, 2017. We will review/compare each disc as we view them."

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film6/blu-ray_ ... lu-ray.htm

SilentsPlease

Re: The Games of the V Olympiad Stockholm, 1912

PostMon Oct 02, 2017 10:25 am

DVDBeaver also reviewed "Olympia," "Tokyo Olympiad," and "Visions of Eight," and the picture quality of all four films looks magnificent, and bodes well for the other films in the collection. Also, Criterion seems to have sent DVDBeaver the whole set already, so we should be getting reviews of the other discs as well.

Also, I hope there are other ways to see these films other than buying a $400 Blu-ray package. I hope TCM would show at least some of them, since TCM would be the natural place to show these films. But its upcoming schedules show nothing so far.

rudyfan

PostMon Oct 02, 2017 4:36 pm

Oh saving my pennies for this. So much to see and admire. I have never seen Tokyo Olympiad and have wanted to for a long time. The screen caps of Olympia look incredible. It's long been a favorite film of mine and it will be a treat to see it in this form, it's visually stunning.

Christopher Jacobs

PostMon Oct 02, 2017 10:06 pm

Don't forget this will be half-price on the regular twice per year Barnes & Noble sale (usually July and November), and also half-price on Criterion's own 24-hour flash sales (also usually twice per year, sometimes October and March). I plan to pick it up during one of those events, most likely the Criterion sale since there will be no sales tax and points earned will likely result in a gift card, although being a B&N member gets you an extra 10% off that covers the tax and then some.

Nick_M

PostWed Oct 04, 2017 3:23 am

However...
DVDBeaver wrote:The restoration is [...] an amazing 1080P presentation. [...] It can, predictably, be a bit jerky in motion and contrast levels have minor flickering but the 100-year+ visuals...

That's where we are now. It's again accepted that silents are jerky.

SilentsPlease

PostWed Oct 04, 2017 9:52 am

Christopher Jacobs wrote:Don't forget this will be half-price on the regular twice per year Barnes & Noble sale (usually July and November), and also half-price on Criterion's own 24-hour flash sales (also usually twice per year, sometimes October and March). I plan to pick it up during one of those events, most likely the Criterion sale since there will be no sales tax and points earned will likely result in a gift card, although being a B&N member gets you an extra 10% off that covers the tax and then some.

B&N's November sale will just miss this Blu-ray's Dec-05 release date. You have to wait till after the PyeongChang Winter Olympics next February to buy it on sale, which is a bummer because many of us would probably want to watch these films before the Olympics.

But even at $200, it is still an exorbitant price to pay. And please don't say $200 is only $4 per film like you did in the other thread. You can pay me 5 million dollars and I will gladly give you all the films you can ever see in your life for only pennies per film. See how silly that sounds? Adopting that logic means you have to presume all the films you buy are worth your money, which we all know they don't always. The DVDBeaver reviews we have seen so far are the best 4K restorations, and not all the films in the set are 4k and and as high quality. These humongous collections are made because the publisher knows if the items were sold individually they wouldn't sell as well. So even the publisher knows in advance that you won't like all the films in the set, and you are willing to be the sucker and pay for them? I'm willing to buy a 5 to 10-film set even if there are 1-3 films I don't like, but not a set of 50-plus films with potentially 8 to 10 or more films I don't like. My advice to all: skip this sucker's edition and wait for individual releases of Olympia, Tokyo Olympiad, and Visions of Eight, which are bound to come out some time somewhere, and with bonus features likely. All the other films may trickle out as well, likely in streaming (Filmstruck), import Blu-rays, clips on Youtube, TCM showing, etc.

syd

PostFri Oct 20, 2017 10:22 am

YouTube clips from the 1912 Stockholm Olympics:

Last edited by syd on Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostFri Oct 20, 2017 10:26 am

Damned Encyclopedia Brittanica, making me buy the whole alphabet when I just want to look up something that starts with an S!

Actually, I'm inclined to do exactly what you say-- wait for a way to see Tokyo Olympiad by itself, basically-- but I hardly find this set to represent an evil conspiracy.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

SilentsPlease

PostWed Oct 25, 2017 1:39 pm

Mike Gebert wrote:Damned Encyclopedia Brittanica, making me buy the whole alphabet when I just want to look up something that starts with an S!

Actually, I'm inclined to do exactly what you say-- wait for a way to see Tokyo Olympiad by itself, basically-- but I hardly find this set to represent an evil conspiracy.

That's why no one buys encyclopedias anymore! Even back when these were popular, people stopped buying them in the late 80s and early 90s when CD-ROM references came along.

I just got a $50 coupon from Criterion (after having bought $500 of discs from them over the years). That changes my game plan a little bit, because now I would be able to pay only $150 for this set during a 50% off sales.

Return to Silent News