Moderator Chris Jacobs has passed away

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

Moderator Chris Jacobs has passed away

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 11:47 am

Chris Jacobs, a film professor at the University of North Dakota for many years and one of the moderators of NitrateVille, has died. As many who followed his CaringBridge site knew, he had been fighting leukemia for a couple of years.

About a decade ago I started going to Cinesation, and it was there that Chris became one of the first people on alt.movies.silent and later here that I met in the real world, and one of the ones I liked best. He was gentle and soft-spoken, but immensely well-informed— even at Cinesation, it was somewhat rare for a film being shown to be new to him, at least if it had been in the 16mm market at some point, he had seen it. He could talk with anybody on the subject of the film just seen, and had keen insights as a critic and observer. All these qualities recommended him to me when I was looking for another moderator at NitrateVille; he was just the even-keeled guy to join us behind the scenes.

I always hoped to make a pilgrimage to his perch in North Dakota, where he was a one-man cultural force, teaching film students by actually making movies (which are non-professional, given the cast and crew, but nicely made and entirely watchable; he was able to sell them to a few foreign markets), and reviewing movies and DVDs; though he participated in many threads here, his was the most frequent and thorough voice by far in the long-running Old Movies on HD thread. His home screening room with blu-ray projector was the film mecca of that state, I suspect, and he always had friends around to watch what he put on. He's lost too soon, but he made a good life out of sharing his passion for film, not least by helping make NitrateVille much of what it is today.

Thank you, Chris, for being one of us, your contributions to NitrateVille and for being a friend I was always happy to see in Massillon, Ohio.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

boblipton

Re: Moderator Chris Jacobs has passed away

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 11:54 am

I am shocked and saddened. If the opportunity arises, please pass on my condolences to his survivors.

Bob
To remain ignorant of what occurred before before you were born is to remain forever a child.
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Brooksie

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 12:02 pm

This is very sad news. I was aware that Chris was ill but thought he'd come through the worst of it. Having been privileged to meet him at several Cinecons, I can say he was every bit as knowledgeable and pleasant in person as he came across in his reviews. Rest well, Chris.

R Michael Pyle

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 12:10 pm

Very sad news. My condolences to his family and friends. I'll miss his insights on the films he spoke of.

Danny Burk

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 12:14 pm

I'm very sorry to see this news. I didn't realize that he had taken a turn for the worse, but assumed that he was stable since he continued to post here regularly. It was always a pleasure to see and chat with him in Massillon. RIP, Chris.

Jim Reid

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 12:17 pm

What a shock. Chris was extremely knowledgeable and suffered this fool very kindly. A very soft spoken and classy guy.
He will be missed.

mwalls

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 12:27 pm

Very sad news. My condolences to his friends and loved ones.

Matthew

Frederica

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 12:32 pm

This is incredibly sad news.Chris was a great guy and I had so hoped he had beaten it. I will miss him.
Fred
"Screw the men. I've got the horse."
Helen B. (Penny) Chenery
http://www.nitanaldi.com"
http://www.facebook.com/NitaNaldiSilentVamp"

WaverBoy

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 12:37 pm

Very sad to hear this. I never met him but I greatly enjoyed his reviews and insights here. :(

silentfilm

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 12:41 pm

Chris was a really nice guy and I dined with him every time I went to Cinecon. I did make it up to North Dakota once and we had dinner, but were not able to catch a movie. He introduced a lot of college students to classic films. I knew that he had a bone marrow transplant months ago. His latest updates were not concerning. He will be missed.

Bob Furem

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 12:56 pm

So very sad.

Rick Lanham

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 12:58 pm

So sorry to hear this. I always looked forward to reading his posts here. So well written and informative.

My condolences to his family and friends, near and far.

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

rudyfan

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 1:11 pm

Oh, I am very sorry to read this news. While I never met Chris in person, he seemed to be truly a really nice fellow. I admired his courage through his updates on Caring Bridge and hoped he'd beat this disease.

I will miss so very much his thoughtful and knowlegeable reviews of old movies in HD. He was a real lover of film from all genres. I am glad he taught and, no doubt, started many a new film buff on a golden path of discovery.

Condolences to his family and his many film friends.

I think Chris deserves a Nitrateville-banner in remembrance.
Last edited by rudyfan on Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DW Atkinson

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 1:26 pm

So sad. Too soon.
RIP Chris, you will be missed.

DW

Dean Thompson

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 1:33 pm

I too had hoped his struggle with leukemia was behind him, given the ongoing energy of his recent posts. For some years now I've checked regularly to see if there might be a new post from Chris in the Old Movies in HD thread, such was the thoughtfulness and scholarship that went into his reviews.

Mike put it best:
----------
He's lost too soon, but he made a good life out of sharing his passion for film, not least by helping make NitrateVille much of what it is today.
----------

He leaves a fine, wide-ranging legacy indeed. RIP.

Wm. Charles Morrow

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 1:46 pm

So sorry to hear this. My best wishes to his family and friends.
-- Charlie Morrow

missdupont

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 2:16 pm

Chris was very nice and cordial at the Cinecons I saw him at, and so willing to share knowledge. He left a great mark on the many students who came through his classes and could learn about the glories of classic film. I too am so sorry he had to fight this terrible disease. I concur with rudyfan that he should be on the masthead, if Hugh Hefner can be.

daveboz

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 2:35 pm

The one guy whose every post I never failed to read. Indeed a tragedy. Condolences to the family of Mr. Jacobs.
yer pal Dave

drednm

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 2:36 pm

OMG..... That's quite a jolt. We had traded a few films over the years. I've always treasured his work on the Elsie Ferguson WITNESS FOR THE DEFENSE, one of his pet projects he so graciously shared with me.

I am deeply saddened by this news. Condolences to his family and friends. He will be missed.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Lorusso/e/ ... 203&sr=8-1

sepiatone

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 2:44 pm

RIP Chris Jacobs. My condolences to his family.

Donald Binks

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 2:48 pm

Very sad news. My condolences to his family and friends. R.I.P.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I was in love with a beautiful blonde one time. She led me to drink. It's the only thing I'm thankful to her for."

Harold Aherne

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 2:58 pm

This....is awful. There are precious few people in the world who were as knowledgeable about early film, and considered in their opinion of it, as Chris. I also had assumed that his illness was at least at a manageable stage. I'm sure his passing will be especially hard for his mother, Dorothy.

I didn't make it to his home screenings as often as I would've liked, but attending was always a joy. The pleasure that he took from independent movie-making was always evident, and some of the props he used were on display in his basement. As avid of a Blu-Ray collector as he was, he also collected actual film as recently as 2008, and I attended a screening of his new print of The Girl Who Stayed at Home. He used the Hearts of the World LD for music, and it worked pretty well. Just hearing the hum of the projector was a rare enough treat for someone my age who got to know early film mainly through video transfers -- but so was experiencing the slightly different feel of different frame rates as he adjusted the film when it started.

He was always patient with my queries about meeting this or that celebrity at festivals, although he confessed that he often didn't know what to say around them. I know he told me about Edward Dmytryk, Frank Capra and Ruth Renick (who took enormous pride in having appeared with Douglas Fairbanks in The Mollycoddle). I always liked comparing notes on different films and discussing some of my research discoveries. Although it hasn't happened that I've been able to attend one of the major film gatherings yet, Chris made me feel like one of the club.

I was disappointed, though not shocked, that university budget cuts meant that Chris would no longer be teaching after the spring of 2017. But I hoped that the silver lining would be that he'd get to write more and embark on whatever film-related projects he wanted. Few of us get to do what we love for a living, but Chris did.

"Bitter or sweet, most memories become precious as the years move on. This film is a memory -- and I am grateful for it." -- Mark Hellinger's prologue to The Roaring Twenties

--HA

MaryGH

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 3:19 pm

So sorry to hear this news. My condolences to his family and friends. RIP
Petition: Turner Enter./Warner Bros: Please digitalize Tom Tyler's FBO silent film westerns

http://bit.ly/2ueCvHe
---
Aventuras de Tom Tyler

http://triggertomblog.blogspot.com/

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 3:36 pm

I had not made a masthead because I didn't have good photos, but Robert McKay posted one on Facebook and kindly let me use it, so there will be a masthead in Chris' memory for the next couple of days.

“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Jack Theakston

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 3:45 pm

Wow, shocking and tragic news. Chris was one of the good ones, and made it out to a lot of shows I did over the years. Always enjoyed his presence and knowledge.
J. Theakston
"You get more out of life when you go out to a movie!"

All Darc

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 3:47 pm

My condolences to his family.
Film lover are usually suich nice people. Why they have to go so often ?

RIP
Keep thinking...

syd

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 3:59 pm

Condolences.
Liked to read his Blu-ray reviews.
He shared his extensive film-tech
knowledge freely and will
be sorely missed.

R.I.P.
Christopher Jacobs

Battra92

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 6:22 pm

Oh no. :(

I admit that I didn't know Mr. Jacobs personally but I always found his posts to be insightful and he had quite the passion for old films being presented in HD. He will be missed and I pray for his friends and family.

God bless him.

Roseha

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 6:42 pm

I’m so very sorry to hear that Mr. Jacobs has passed away. His posts were so deeply heartfelt and intelligent. May he rest in peace.
- Rosemary

Paul Penna

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 6:57 pm

I never met him but always enjoyed his reviews, in which he came across exactly as Mike described him. I'll miss him. R.I.P.
Next

Return to Silent News