New Phantom of the Opera Website - Phantom1925.com

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Scott J

New Phantom of the Opera Website - Phantom1925.com

PostSat Oct 14, 2017 7:55 pm

Announcing a new website for this classic - https://www.phantom1925.com/. My primary intention is for it to be a digital museum of sorts and to acquire & share high quality and interesting materials relating to the film.

So let me know what you think. I'm open to suggestions and submissions. :)

Red Bartlett

Re: New Phantom of the Opera Website - Phantom1925.com

PostSat Oct 14, 2017 8:56 pm

Very nice!

Just this afternoon I pulled the BFI blu-ray off the shelf for it's annual viewings. It has the best '25 version I believe, and/or the only one in HD. If there's a better version out there, I'm all in.

My only recommendation would be to keep your site "relevant" as they say. Continue to curate the web -- point to sites and forums and threads that discuss the topic. Make this the one-stop-shop for the 1925 Phantom!

sherry

PostSun Oct 15, 2017 1:02 am

Thanks for letting us know!
Love the Miscellaneous Clippings section.

Scoundrel

PostSun Oct 15, 2017 9:50 am

Very Nice ... !!!!
" You can't take life too seriously...you'll never get out of it alive."

Blackhawk Films customer

bobfells

PostSun Oct 15, 2017 12:31 pm

Very impressive Scott, your website is already well developed. Suggestion: you might want to join our FB group, Lon Chaney Man of 1,000 Faces, if you want to spread the word. I also PM'ed you on your site.

radiotelefonia

PostSun Oct 15, 2017 10:43 pm

wich2

PostMon Oct 16, 2017 10:53 am

Scott, continued best.

It has always mystified me, in this era of "Let's REALLY Restore The Classics," that this Original Release (and Best Cut) doesn't get the majority love it deserves.

-Craig

Red Bartlett

PostMon Oct 16, 2017 12:02 pm

wich2 wrote:Scott, continued best.

It has always mystified me, in this era of "Let's REALLY Restore The Classics," that this Original Release (and Best Cut) doesn't get the majority love it deserves.

-Craig

So true. The '25 version is usually all I watch now. And it's typically tacked on as a "regular definition" extra to the (better-print) lesser and chopped up '29 franken-version. The BFI Bluray is the only recent release that includes a high-def version at least, so that's my go-to. But it's a beat up copy for sure. I guess that's all there is? -- is there only one known version of the original '25?

I'm not sure how much can be done -- but I always imagined there would be a way to include some of the better source material and fragments that's available in the '29.

MaryGH

PostMon Oct 16, 2017 5:11 pm

Looks awesome!

An idea, if not already done:

Get some social media pages just for your site, it'll be a great way to spread the word.
Petition: Turner Enter./Warner Bros: Please digitalize Tom Tyler's FBO silent film westerns

http://bit.ly/2ueCvHe
---
Aventuras de Tom Tyler

http://triggertomblog.blogspot.com/

wich2

PostMon Oct 16, 2017 8:57 pm

Red Bartlett wrote:I'm not sure how much can be done -- but I always imagined there would be a way to include some of the better source material and fragments that's available in the '29.

Red, have you not seen Scott's estimable tests? A very good deal can be done!

-Craig

Scott J

PostMon Oct 16, 2017 9:43 pm

Thank you everyone for the enthusiasm! :) I'll definitely take your ideas and see what I can do.

And thank you radiotelefonia! I haven't seen some of those before. I'll put them up on the site :)

As for Raoul and the Ballerinas. That picture has always driven me crazy. Such high resolution but compressed something awful. I could never find a better copy. So seeing it again reminded me of something I wanted to do with it.

So we have this:

I came across this:

I used my bag of tricks and now we have this - I'll call it a "special edition" since it's not "historically accurate" to the original lobby card

I've pumped up and toned the colors that were already there, and added the missing ballerina and tried to match her. You can now see most of the ladies' faces instead of them being an overcompressed, pixelated mess. I'm hoping a better scan turns up online, but if not, at least we have a better copy now ;)

radiotelefonia

PostTue Oct 17, 2017 6:51 am

Nice work:

I originally lifted the image of Norman Kerry and the ballerinas from this magazine.

http://mls.bireme.br/_popup_pdf.php?dat ... 03|06|0261

Red Bartlett

PostTue Oct 17, 2017 8:56 am

wich2 wrote:
Red Bartlett wrote:I'm not sure how much can be done -- but I always imagined there would be a way to include some of the better source material and fragments that's available in the '29.

Red, have you not seen Scott's estimable tests? A very good deal can be done!

-Craig

You know, I think I have... now that you mention it. I remember seeing something on YouTube where someone stabilized the image and such. It was a quick example, but it did look remarkably better.

Scott J

PostTue Oct 17, 2017 6:53 pm

radiotelefonia wrote:Nice work:

I originally lifted the image of Norman Kerry and the ballerinas from this magazine.

http://mls.bireme.br/_popup_pdf.php?dat ... 03|06|0261" target="_blank

Glad you like it, and thank you for sharing the source. Kinda funny that they flipped it horizontally. More interesting pages in there too that I can use. :)

Return to Silent News