SILENT FILM THEATER TO BE SHUT DOWN

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Scoundrel

SILENT FILM THEATER TO BE SHUT DOWN

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 2:09 pm

" You can't take life too seriously...you'll never get out of it alive."

Blackhawk Films customer

wich2

Re: SILENT FILM THEATER TO BE SHUT DOWN

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 7:37 pm

Ye gods.

If the cases described in news articles online are true (and the Board there implies that, at least in part, they are), this is skeevy in the extreme.

As a Congressman said on camera today, talking about the similar problems there,

"I didn't know we had so many pigs here..."

-Craig

Gary Newman

PostThu Nov 16, 2017 11:31 am

There were also serious financial issues. Too bad.

silentfilm

PostThu Nov 16, 2017 12:38 pm

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-cinefamily-shuts-down-20171114-story.html

The Cinefamily organization was just a tenant, although one of the building's owners was on the board of directors. The building will remain, and will likely remain a theater. There is a lot of competition in the repertory theater arena in Los Angeles, so it will be difficult for a silent-film-only theater to compete with other venues.

Zool

PostThu Nov 16, 2017 9:59 pm

I'm surprised and sad to read this, even though I had a feeling this was inevitable.

It's hard for independently owned theaters to make it these days. This particular place was showing ALL KINDS of films and programs. I think they did screenings of "Night Flight" and other shows that were on UHF channels in the 70's and 80's. Granted, some of these screenings would be hard to come by anywhere (maybe even in LA?), so I respect their efforts. Silents were done once a month, I believe, and were free. We have an independent theater like this in town. I hear that silents are a hard sell, unless they're Keaton or Chaplin. They too show indie and "eclectic" films. It costs the theater little, but sometimes, brings in as much. It isn't hard to imagine why these places are closing up.

The previous owner was only screening silents on special occasions. Usually the well known "classics." He kept the place going, and earned his income, renting the theater out for parties and special events.

I hope someone else can successfully take the place over.
:(
"Are we ourselves, and do we really know?"

George O'Brien.net

bigshot

PostSat Nov 18, 2017 9:30 am

Cinefamily wasn't in trouble financially. The problem was that the people in charge were taking advantage of the situation to hire young girls and sexually harass them. If someone takes over the theater, I'm sure they won't continue that practice.

Return to Silent News