KING OF KINGS Restoration Trailer

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

nolisome

Re: KING OF KINGS Restoration Trailer

PostSun Feb 04, 2018 4:25 pm

It sounds like they are using the Hugo Riesenfeld score...bravo

wich2

PostSun Feb 04, 2018 6:13 pm

Hmmm...

Love that score - but it's not nearly long enough for this version...?

nolisome

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 8:24 am

According to the booklet that came with the French package, the score for the 1927 version consists of "musical slections and compositions by Hugo Riesenfeld, adapted, arranged and conducted by Robert Israel." Well played and recorded as well. Looks great and I'm very happy with the restoration.

nolisome

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 8:31 am

And the 1928 version sound and image are much improved from the Criterion edition.

wich2

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 10:55 am

Thanks!

George O'Brien

PostWed Feb 28, 2018 12:29 pm

Two weeks into Lent, 31 days until Easter, and still no word of a US release?

Somebody should be made to visit, Yourmarketingsucks.com.
"This bar of likker is now a bar of justice!"

Ann Harding

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 9:53 am

I watched the DVD last night: it's gorgeous! The two-strip Technicolor at the end looks crisp and pristine. No wonder! It's from the original negative. I enjoyed the film far more than I thought I would. It was fun to see the Schildkrauts father & son as the High Priest and Judas, Ernest Torrence as Peter, Victor Varconi as Pontius Pilate and of course H.B. Warner in a halo from start to end. I felt that Robert Israel did a great job with the score and it helps the film immensely. I don't know how much of the original score he used, but I recognised numerous classical quotes: Wagner with Parsifal & Lohengrin, Berlioz's March to the scaffold from Symphonie fantastique, Haendel's Messiah, etc. Everything is perfectly chosen to fit the atmosphere and characters. A great restoration.

rudyfan

PostTue Mar 06, 2018 12:18 am

George O'Brien wrote:Two weeks into Lent, 31 days until Easter, and still no word of a US release?

If you have a multi region dvd player, do not hesitate. It is stunning and was not at all expensive for what you are getting. It is terrific. I am so happy I ordered via Amazon FR

Scoundrel

PostTue Mar 06, 2018 8:54 am

The Lobster Films website lists this release as region free.
" You can't take life too seriously...you'll never get out of it alive."

Blackhawk Films customer

CoffeeDan

PostTue Mar 06, 2018 11:11 am

George O'Brien wrote:Two weeks into Lent, 31 days until Easter, and still no word of a US release?

Not necessarily. Considering that Lobster released KING OF KINGS at Christmas time last year, maybe the US distributor is planning a Christmas 2018 release. If it's Criterion, I would bet money on it -- they released their present version in December of 2004. Flicker Alley would probably do the same.

Arndt

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 9:31 am

Ann Harding wrote:I watched the DVD last night: it's gorgeous! The two-strip Technicolor at the end looks crisp and pristine. No wonder! It's from the original negative. I enjoyed the film far more than I thought I would. It was fun to see the Schildkrauts father & son as the High Priest and Judas, Ernest Torrence as Peter, Victor Varconi as Pontius Pilate and of course H.B. Warner in a halo from start to end. I felt that Robert Israel did a great job with the score and it helps the film immensely. I don't know how much of the original score he used, but I recognised numerous classical quotes: Wagner with Parsifal & Lohengrin, Berlioz's March to the scaffold from Symphonie fantastique, Haendel's Messiah, etc. Everything is perfectly chosen to fit the atmosphere and characters. A great restoration.

I agree wholeheartedly. I have always loved this film but this restoration is a true revelation. Which is as it should be.
"The greatest cinematic experience is the human face and it seems to me that silent films can teach us to read it anew." - Wim Wenders

George O'Brien

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 7:27 pm

CoffeeDan wrote:

Not necessarily. Considering that Lobster released KING OF KINGS at Christmas time last year, maybe the US distributor is planning a Christmas 2018 release. If it's Criterion, I would bet money on it -- they released their present version in December of 2004. Flicker Alley would probably do the same.

Yes, ya got me there. People don't buy Easter presents, they buy Christmas presents.
"This bar of likker is now a bar of justice!"

Scoundrel

PostWed May 16, 2018 3:09 pm

Having bit the bullet and ordered this one from Amazon.Fr, ....

I must say it was worth the wait.

Both features look very impressive on Blu ray and the bonus material is a real treat.

Having done the deed, I fully expect an announcement of a domestic release any time now.
" You can't take life too seriously...you'll never get out of it alive."

Blackhawk Films customer

Michael Arlt

PostThu Jul 05, 2018 5:45 pm

Saint-Just wrote:Yes, the restoration looks good, but it's still one of the most absurd silent films I ever saw, and to me represents not only the worst of deMille but the worst of silent era Hollywood - and for the record I thought so back in my religious days as well.

Man, I'm guessing you never seen that silent version of The Wizard Of Oz ;)
Previous

Return to Silent News