New! THE HAUNTED CASTLE & LIGHTS OUT: THE HIDDEN STAIRCASE

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Mark Roth

New! THE HAUNTED CASTLE & LIGHTS OUT: THE HIDDEN STAIRCASE

PostSun Jan 07, 2018 10:41 am

NEW DVD RELEASE

Happy new year everyone!

Image Image

THE HAUNTED CASTLE (1921)
and LIGHTS OUT: THE INVISIBLE STAIRCASE (1950)

THE HAUNTED CASTLE starring Arnold Korff, Lulu Kyser-Korff, Lothar Mehnert, Paul Bildt, Olga Tschechowa, Paul Hartman and Julius Falkenstein. Written by Carl Meyer. Directed by F.W. Murnau. A hunting party gathers at the castle of Lord von Vogelschrey for what they think will be a few days rest and recreation. This all changes with the arrival of an uninvited guest, Count Johann Oetsch, who has been recently accused of killing his brother! Soon mystery, intrigue and unexplained disappearances take over as the secret of a murder is unraveled.

Full of atmosphere and a sense of claustrophobic dread, this film can be seen as a warm-up to Murnau's great vampire masterpiece of the following year, "Nosferatu"!

Original music score composed and performed by John Mucci!

LIGHTS OUT: THE HIDDEN STAIRCASE starring Clarence Derwent, Elfrida Derwent, Sarah Burton, John Griggs, Klock Ryder and Jack LaRue. Diected by Kingman T. More. Our sinister host introduces the story of a team of famous historians who visit the creepy old home of the Bosworth family to research the letters that passed between American Civil War era general William Tecumseh Sherman and a Bosworth ancestor. During the night, they discover that a simple closet is not what it seems and a passage is found that leads to a mysterious trunk, a bloody dress and murder!

Originally aired on February 13, 1950, this is an episode from the series "Lights Out", the TV version of the famous radio broadcasts of the same name. This DVD is digitally transferred from what is likely the only surviving Kinescope, once owned by John Griggs, who appears as Eliot in our story.
http://www.reelclassicdvd.com

Blackhawk Films
Customer #0107793

cuzzoni

Re: New! THE HAUNTED CASTLE & LIGHTS OUT: THE HIDDEN STAIRC

PostMon Jan 08, 2018 2:55 pm

How will this compare to my old Kino DVD from 2009?

Mark Roth

PostMon Jan 08, 2018 6:50 pm

If you're asking me, I can't be of much help. I've never seen the Kino version. But I can say the following for sure:

1. The Kino version does not have a great new score by John Mucci.

2. The Kino version does not include "Lights Out: The Hidden Staircase".

3. The Reelclassicdvd version is not 9 years old. It's a brand new digital transfer.
http://www.reelclassicdvd.com

Blackhawk Films
Customer #0107793

Nosferatu

PostWed Jan 10, 2018 6:50 am

cuzzoni wrote:How will this compare to my old Kino DVD from 2009?

That Kino version looks great. I believe it was more or less found in that condition. No restoration needed.

Return to Silent News