Thursday Just Before Prime Time on TCM

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Agnes

Thursday Just Before Prime Time on TCM

PostThu Jan 11, 2018 8:04 am

TCM is showing the short "the film that was lost" today at 7:49 p.m. eastern time. this is a short about all the silents and old newsreels that were left to corrode and die. It shows What's Left of some of them and I've seen before and it's amazing. I recommend anybody who can to get a look at this one this evening

Enjoy,
Agnes
Agnes McFadden

I know it's good - I wrote it myself!

westegg

Re: Thursday Just Before Prime Time on TCM

PostFri Jan 12, 2018 7:19 am

Just read this now. Oh well.

:?

SilentsPlease

PostTue Jan 16, 2018 2:09 pm

The complete title is "John Nesbitt's Passing Parade No. 36: The Film That was Lost." TCM shows it quite often, and I recorded it in 2011, back when TCM never listed shorts in the schedule. If it isn't on the schedule, you have absolutely no way to tell it will be on. Even if you happen to be watching the preceding program, the on-screen announcement won't tell you what short or shorts are coming up. It will just announce the programs before and after the short(s). I was able to record this short only because I happened to be recording the preceding program all the way to the end of the time slot. If I had been watching it live, I would have switched off the TV right after the movie and missed the short. TCM still does this today. Just this month, between "It's a Gift" and "The Bank Dick" was the musical short "Jimmy Dorsey and the Orchestra." Last October, between the 10/30/17 showing of "The Red Danube" and "The Whip Hand" was another short not shown on the schedule, the 1950 documentary short "Screen Actors," which was a great find because I had never seen it before. And those were just the ones I caught. Who knows how many others we never heard about.

Red Bartlett

PostTue Jan 16, 2018 4:05 pm

SilentsPlease wrote:The complete title is "John Nesbitt's Passing Parade No. 36: The Film That was Lost." TCM shows it quite often, and I recorded it in 2011, back when TCM never listed shorts in the schedule. If it isn't on the schedule, you have absolutely no way to tell it will be on. Even if you happen to be watching the preceding program, the on-screen announcement won't tell you what short or shorts are coming up. It will just announce the programs before and after the short(s). I was able to record this short only because I happened to be recording the preceding program all the way to the end of the time slot. If I had been watching it live, I would have switched off the TV right after the movie and missed the short. TCM still does this today. Just this month, between "It's a Gift" and "The Bank Dick" was the musical short "Jimmy Dorsey and the Orchestra." Last October, between the 10/30/17 showing of "The Red Danube" and "The Whip Hand" was another short not shown on the schedule, the 1950 documentary short "Screen Actors," which was a great find because I had never seen it before. And those were just the ones I caught. Who knows how many others we never heard about.

It's for reason like this (and others) that I wish we had multiple TCMs!

Turner Classic Movies (TCM)
Turner Classic Shorts (TCS)
Turner Classic Toons (TST)
Turner Silent Movies (TSM)

Return to Silent News