More silents from Kino

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Harold Aherne

More silents from Kino

PostSat Feb 10, 2018 11:58 am

Based on post #418 below, Kino is planning a 24 April release of Der heilige Berg (1926), directed by Arnold Fanck and starring Leni Riefenstahl, to be followed on 1 May by The Half-Breed and The Good Bad Man (both 1916), a double feature with Douglas Fairbanks, both directed by Allan Dwan.

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/kino-lorber-insider-read-guidelines-post-3.355034/page-21

-HA

George O'Brien

Re: More silents from Kino

PostSat Feb 10, 2018 5:26 pm

Aren't the Fairbanks titles already in release?

A friend recorded them for me off of TCM a few years ago. I thought their broadcast was tied in with a DVD and or Blu Ray release.
"This bar of likker is now a bar of justice!"

Jess McGrath

PostSun Feb 11, 2018 9:58 am

George O'Brien wrote:Aren't the Fairbanks titles already in release?

A friend recorded them for me off of TCM a few years ago. I thought their broadcast was tied in with a DVD and or Blu Ray release.

DER HEILIGE BERG (THE HOLY MOUNTAIN) was released on DVD by Kino sometime back (early-2000s?).

The Fairbanks titles have never been on DVD as far as I know. THE HALF BREED was shown on TCM back in 2015. I remember it being a good film, but not really a "Fairbanks film" as we typically know them from this period. I was impressed with Alma Rubens' performance, Allan Dwan's direction, and the photography was quite lovely.

I think THE GOOD BAD MAN aired on TCM around the same time too. Very much a "straight" Western. And Bessie Love was adorable in this one.

Brooksie

PostSun Feb 11, 2018 4:55 pm

Both The Half-Breed and The Good Bad Man were recently restored and shown at the San Francisco Silent Film Festival. Presumably, Kino is releasing these restorations (and very good they are, too).

Roscoe

PostTue Feb 13, 2018 3:13 pm

I'm glad for THE HALF-BREED and THE GOOD BAD MAN, but I'd be happier for MR. FIX-IT.
"If you lose this war, don't blame me."

www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com

Return to Silent News