Happy Year of the Dog

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Joe Thompson

Happy Year of the Dog

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 9:54 am

In honor of the beginning of Chinese New Year, the Year of the Dog, here is Strongheart, the Wonder-Dog. Strongheart was born in Germany and trained to work for the police and the Red Cross during World War One. After the war, the dog's owner could not afford to keep him, so he placed him with a kennel in the United States. Director Lawrence Trimble saw Strongheart and persuaded screenwriter Jane Murfin to purchase him. Trimble trained Strongheart and directed him in four movies. Strongheart got burned by a studio light in 1929 and died from a tumor caused by the burn. Strongheart was one of the first dogs to star in a movie.

Trimble and Murfin co-directed Brawn of the North. The ad is from Motion Picture News, 26-August-1922.
Regards,
Joe Thompson ;0)
http://bigvriotsquad.blogspot.com/

Joe Thompson

Re: Happy Year of the Dog

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 10:09 am

If you were born in 1946, 1958, 1970, 1982, 1994 or 2006, then it is your year. Or if you're a dog.
Regards,
Joe Thompson ;0)
http://bigvriotsquad.blogspot.com/

wich2

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 10:24 am

One of The Wife and I's favorites from the era -

greta de groat

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 1:03 pm

Joe Thompson wrote:. Director Lawrence Trimble saw Strongheart and persuaded screenwriter Jane Murfin to purchase him. Trimble trained Strongheart and directed him in four movies. Strongheart got burned by a studio light in 1929 and died from a tumor caused by the burn. Strongheart was one of the first dogs to star in a movie.

Trimble and Murfin co-directed Brawn of the North. The ad is from Motion Picture News, 26-August-1922.

And of course Larry Trimble was the owner and trainer of my favorite canine star-- Jean the Vitagraph dog.

greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

Agnes

PostSun Feb 25, 2018 10:27 am

I will have to celebrate with my furry twins, Lucy Ann & Maximilian Roscoe.

And yes, Max looks like he is a big lump, but he is so athletic and precise. He can run & catch in the air.......
He reminded me if a cretain silent film star who was so much more nimble than he looked, so I gave him the middle name

My kids didn't like it, but Hubby had seen enough Arbuckle shorts to see that the name fit & he sided with me. And if you were wondering, the twins share my grandmother's birthday, so Lucy got my grandma's name for a middle.

Agnes
Agnes McFadden

I know it's good - I wrote it myself!

greta de groat

PostSun Feb 25, 2018 4:31 pm

Agnes wrote:I will have to celebrate with my furry twins, Lucy Ann & Maximilian Roscoe.

And yes, Max looks like he is a big lump, but he is so athletic and precise. He can run & catch in the air.......
He reminded me if a cretain silent film star who was so much more nimble than he looked, so I gave him the middle name

My kids didn't like it, but Hubby had seen enough Arbuckle shorts to see that the name fit & he sided with me. And if you were wondering, the twins share my grandmother's birthday, so Lucy got my grandma's name for a middle.

Agnes

My boss's boss's boss has a dog named Arbuckle. He was a rescue dog who had been very successful at feeding himself despite being homeless. They've tried putting him on a diet but he is adept at turning over garbage cans and diving on food dropped by guests. In two of the parties that i've attended with Bucky present he has succeeded in making off with an entire pie from the counter (despite being maybe 18 inches tall) and getting into the punchbowl and getting drunk. At the last party i saw him, he was unhappily under lock and key for the duration.

greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

wich2

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 11:19 am

I also recall being very touched and impressed by Thanhouser's Shep, when I saw several of his films screened near where they were shot, in New Rochelle.

Return to Silent News