San Francisco Silent Film Festival 2018

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Rodney

San Francisco Silent Film Festival 2018

PostMon Mar 26, 2018 9:07 am

The schedule is posted. Of five days of films (May 30--June 3), I think I've only seen one that we're not playing for. There will be a lot of new discoveries!

Kevin Brownlow will be introducing one of his favorites, Mare Nostrum, on his 80th birthday.

Some I'm looking forward to include a Tom Mix western, a Constance Talmadge comedy, and the new restoration (from two different sources, as I understand) of The Hound of the Baskervilles (1929).

Last edited by Rodney on Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"

drednm

Re: San Francisco Silent Film Festival 2018

PostMon Mar 26, 2018 9:26 am

I don't think Kevin is quite that old!
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com

Rodney

PostMon Mar 26, 2018 9:34 am

drednm wrote:I don't think Kevin is quite that old!

You're right! I've fixed it.
Rodney Sauer
www.mont-alto.com

fredhedges

PostMon Mar 26, 2018 10:11 am

Does anyone have suggestions for hotels in SF? Unfortunately, cost is an issue for me.

Hamilton's Grandson

PostMon Mar 26, 2018 2:39 pm

I am happy to see Good References with Constance Talmadge on that schedule.
Mark Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com
Joseph Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com
Gertrude Brooke Hamilton is on imdb.com

Rodney

PostMon Mar 26, 2018 7:56 pm

fredhedges wrote:Does anyone have suggestions for hotels in SF? Unfortunately, cost is an issue for me.

They often put us up at the Whitcomb, which is reasonable for a city hotel. You can get to the Castro pretty easily by BART and then the Muni streetcars, so it may be possible to find a cheaper place near a BART station in the East Bay or down the peninsula. I don't live there, so I can't give any better advice... Trip Advisor or Hotels.com would be a start.

My most important advice: don't get a rental car. Parking is atrocious in the Castro. San Francisco is a good city for public transit, taxis, and of course Lyft and Uber.
Rodney Sauer
www.mont-alto.com

Donald Binks

PostMon Mar 26, 2018 8:41 pm

San Francisco is an easy place to get around. There is a tram that runs down Market Street from the Embarkadero to the Castro, but a quicker alternative is to utililse the BART subway system. I am not sure about the buses - but you can always check a route map. Another good thing is that you can buy a multi-day public transport pass.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

Brooksie

PostTue Mar 27, 2018 6:04 pm

fredhedges wrote:Does anyone have suggestions for hotels in SF? Unfortunately, cost is an issue for me.

I can recommend the Days Inn Civic Center. Nothing fancy, and within a short walk down to Market Street, where you can catch the MUNI straight to the Castro. It's also fairly easy to reach to and from the airport via public transport.

milefilms

PostWed Mar 28, 2018 4:55 pm

I rented an airbnb on Castro a few years back and loved staying there.
Dennis Doros
Milestone F&V

Keatonesque

PostWed May 30, 2018 2:10 pm

Could someone attending the MARE NOSTRUM screening please ask Kevin Brownlow whether he does in fact have a personal copy of SHE'S A SHEIK in 9.5mm?

Keatonesque

PostFri Jun 15, 2018 4:14 pm

Taken from a recent interview, here's our beloved Kevin Brownlow on the abomination that is Warner Brothers:

Q: Why did you choose Rex Ingram’s Mare Nostrum [1926] to show for this celebration?

A: Rex Ingram has been quite forgotten. I very seldom come upon a screening of anything he’s done. The last time Photoplay restored one of his films it was The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse [in 1992]. I was quite used to seeing it in the versions available over here, but it looks so much better and is such a better a film when you see it as it was released in 1921. When it was reissued the year Rudolph Valentino died, in 1926, it coincided with a number of treaties in which European countries agreed to try not to go to war with one another. So they cut out scenes of a German orgy and executions and so on. Editing out those and a few other scenes made it a much less interesting picture. It was marvelous to restore them and add a really stunning score by Carl Davis.

And it’s really frustrating that Warner Bros. has yet to fulfill its promise of putting that out on DVD. They did do Ben-Hur [as part of the 1959 version’s collector’s edition] and Flesh and the Devil and The Big Parade. But they were going to put out all the MGM restorations we did at Thames Television. They included The Crowd, The Wind, and Show People, most with marvelous scores by Carl Davis. When I located the original negative of The Big Parade, they did a marvelous job with that, and they must have been disappointed when it failed to meet their financial expectations. Still, it’s a form of commercial censorship.

Lest we forget, in considering Warner's output on Blu-Ray, out of 665 HD releases thus far, only two have been from the Silent era.

Source: https://www.filmcomment.com/blog/interview-kevin-brownlow/

Return to Silent News