Pending releases from Flicker Alley

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Oppiedog

Pending releases from Flicker Alley

PostFri Apr 27, 2018 7:08 am

From silentera.com -

Flicker Alley (USA) has announced their Blu-ray Disc and DVD releases for 2018, with silent film titles including dual-format Blu-ray Disc / DVD editions of Mary Pickford in Fanchon the Cricket (1915) and Little Annie Rooney (1925); manufactured-on-demand (MOD) Blu-ray Disc editions of Rudolph Valentino in Moran of the Lady Letty (1922), Virtuous Sinners (1919) and Eyes of Youth (1919); a MOD Blu-ray Disc edition of Berlin: Symphony of a Great City (1927); a deluxe Blu-ray Disc edition of V.I. Pudovkin’s Mother (1926), The End of St. Petersburg (1927) and Storm Over Asia (1928); and a Blu-ray Disc /DVD collection including F.W. Murnau Stiftung restorations of Arthur von Gerlach’s The Chronicles of the Gray House (1925) and Johannes Guter’s The Tower of Silence (1925): no release dates set.

Haven't seen "Fanchon the Cricket" - most interested in that one.

Bob Furem

Re: Pending releases from Flicker Alley

PostFri Apr 27, 2018 10:11 am

Will someone please release Rosita?

s.w.a.c.

PostFri Apr 27, 2018 10:50 am

Bob Furem wrote:Will someone please release Rosita?

Yes, I bet she's starving by now!
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Brooksie

PostFri Apr 27, 2018 1:24 pm

MoMA's 4K restoration of Rosita is complete and was screened in Venice last year, and is making its American premiere at this year's San Francisco Silent Film Festival. I expect it will do a tour of the usual festivals before a DVD release, much like Ramona (1928).

rudyfan

PostWed May 02, 2018 11:35 am

Looking forward to the Valentino Moran of the Lady Letty BD and Eyes of Youth. What is exciting is the release of Virtuous Sinners, Valentino has a small part, but, it is the only new footage of RV I've not yet seen. :-)

silentfilm

PostThu May 03, 2018 11:29 am

maliejandra

PostThu May 03, 2018 11:44 am

Bob Furem wrote:Will someone please release Rosita?

Hear hear!

Jess McGrath

PostFri May 04, 2018 6:54 am

Brooksie wrote:MoMA's 4K restoration of Rosita is complete and was screened in Venice last year, and is making its American premiere at this year's San Francisco Silent Film Festival. I expect it will do a tour of the usual festivals before a DVD release, much like Ramona (1928).

Looks like MOMA is sneaking in a screening before the Festival, so it can have the American premiere. They just announced a screening for Friday May 25th.

Oppiedog

PostFri May 04, 2018 9:49 am

silentfilm wrote:Image

Is that Lottie Pickford between Mary and the male lead? Jack is also suppose to be in the movie.

silentfilm

PostFri May 04, 2018 11:45 am

Oppiedog wrote:[
Is that Lottie Pickford between Mary and the male lead? Jack is also suppose to be in the movie.

Jack Standing and Lottie Pickford are front left of Mary Pickford on this photocard.

Oppiedog

PostFri May 04, 2018 1:18 pm

silentfilm wrote:
Oppiedog wrote:[

Jack Standing and Lottie Pickford are front left of Mary Pickford on this photocard.

I was looking for Jack Pickford also. This is suppose to be one of the few that all three Pickfords did together and might be the only one, when released, that is available to be viewed.

Keatonesque

PostSat May 05, 2018 2:55 am

Oppiedog wrote:From silentera.com -

Flicker Alley (USA) has announced their Blu-ray Disc and DVD releases for 2018, with silent film titles including dual-format Blu-ray Disc / DVD editions of Mary Pickford in Fanchon the Cricket (1915) and Little Annie Rooney (1925); manufactured-on-demand (MOD) Blu-ray Disc editions of Rudolph Valentino in Moran of the Lady Letty (1922), Virtuous Sinners (1919) and Eyes of Youth (1919); a MOD Blu-ray Disc edition of Berlin: Symphony of a Great City (1927); a deluxe Blu-ray Disc edition of V.I. Pudovkin’s Mother (1926), The End of St. Petersburg (1927) and Storm Over Asia (1928); and a Blu-ray Disc /DVD collection including F.W. Murnau Stiftung restorations of Arthur von Gerlach’s The Chronicles of the Gray House (1925) and Johannes Guter’s The Tower of Silence (1925): no release dates set.

Haven't seen "Fanchon the Cricket" - most interested in that one.

Is it yet known whether these releases are merely HD transfers/masters or if any are 2K/4K restorations? The Pudovkin trio of masterpieces intrigues me most, which I hope might be 2K/4K restorations. They certainly deserve the treatment. Little Annie Rooney is a real charmer.
Last edited by Keatonesque on Wed May 09, 2018 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BrianG

PostWed May 09, 2018 1:56 pm

I'm not a Mary Pickford fan, but I really enjoy Little Annie Rooney, so I'm looking forward to that release. I guess I'll have to continue my wait for a BD of Valentino's The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

Hamilton's Grandson

PostWed May 09, 2018 3:23 pm

You should watch the 2014 version of Little Annie Rooney scored by Andy Gladbach and also watch Sparrows and then you will become a bigger fan of Mary.

Regards,

Dana
Mark Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com
Joseph Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com
Gertrude Brooke Hamilton is on imdb.com

mwalls

PostWed May 09, 2018 7:15 pm

I am very much looking forward to Flicker Alley's release of Little Annie Rooney. I enjoy the film despite the version I have seen (twice) with a horrible drop needle score. At one point Jingle Bells plays, and I am quite sure that the film does not at all involve Christmas. This will be ordered immediately upon Flicker announcing pre-order dates.

Matthew

Keatonesque

PostWed May 09, 2018 7:33 pm

Rosita and possibly completed 4K restorations of Sparrows and My Best Girl could follow in 2019, if not late 2018.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostWed May 09, 2018 8:27 pm

Sparrows is a good gateway into Pickford's films, because how could you not find it exciting, but in the end I don't think it's one of her very best films. My two favorites are 1) The Poor Little Rich Girl— the simplicity and heartfelt directness of teens films; and 2) My Best Girl, which proves she could have gone into screwball successfully, if she had tried or cared, a no-Victorian-stuff modern romantic comedy that is right up there with Swanson or Clara Bow for such things. The latter badly needs a new edition out, and I hope it gets one soon.
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

Keatonesque

PostWed May 09, 2018 8:52 pm

Mike Gebert wrote:Sparrows is a good gateway into Pickford's films, because how could you not find it exciting, but in the end I don't think it's one of her very best films. My two favorites are 1) The Poor Little Rich Girl— the simplicity and heartfelt directness of teens films; and 2) My Best Girl, which proves she could have gone into screwball successfully, if she had tried or cared, a no-Victorian-stuff modern romantic comedy that is right up there with Swanson or Clara Bow for such things. The latter badly needs a new edition out, and I hope it gets one soon.

It's currently being restored via combined efforts of the Mary Pickford Foundation, UCLA Archive, and the Film Foundation: https://marypickford.org/preservation-work/

BankofAmericasSweetheart

PostWed May 09, 2018 9:44 pm

I'm very happy to hear this news. I also want to vouch that I think Pickford's charm really comes through with her earlier career films, particularly the ones between 1915-1920 when she was in prime Doug Fairbanks affair lust mode. My favorites in particular are The Hoodlum, Stella Maris, Daddy Long Legs, Rags(A rare 16mm screening thanks to Hollywood Heritage), and Suds which is super underrated. Also a very rare shout out to Dorothy Vernon of Haddon Hall which was screened back in 2012 in LA and was an absolute delight to watch on the big screen. I also love Annie Rooney, Sparrows, My Best Girl, and Poor Little Rich Girl but based on careful observance the past ten years of what gets screened in the public, these films are showcased way too much(TCM acts like Pickford only made 3 movies) and it makes it seem like her filmography only consisted of five movies. I think the Pickford Foundation is on the right track regarding making more of her other lesser known films accessible and available. I think in the end, it will only help her legacy which I think is still underneath other contemporaries of the silent era. Just my five cents...
"It would have been more logical if silent pictures had grown out of the talkies instead of the other way around." - MP

Hamilton's Grandson

PostWed May 09, 2018 9:51 pm

Amazon sells a DVD of Little Annie Rooney from American Pop Classics the Archive Collection (2010) which was "digitally remastered" , but it is a big let down with the musical score when you see and hear the 2014 re-release from a partnership by the Mary Pickford Foundation and the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences Film Archive. Currently, her foundation which she started in the early 50's is working on a 4 K reproduction of Sparrows, A Little Princess, and My Best Girl as was mentioned and these should be awesome as well.

www.marypickford.org/preservation-work

I am a bit biased with Sparrows as I have seen this film probably in my lifetime about 50 times on VHS and now DVD.

Mark Hamilton as Farmer Craddock, the Hog Buyer

When you grow up and your mom brags about how great her dad's character role was in Sparrows as the hog buyer you develop a bias, my apologies Mike. lol

Regards,

Dana
Mark Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com
Joseph Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com
Gertrude Brooke Hamilton is on imdb.com

Oppiedog

PostThu May 10, 2018 8:14 am

BankofAmericasSweetheart wrote:I'm very happy to hear this news. I also want to vouch that I think Pickford's charm really comes through with her earlier career films, particularly the ones between 1915-1920 when she was in prime Doug Fairbanks affair lust mode. My favorites in particular are The Hoodlum, Stella Maris, Daddy Long Legs, Rags(A rare 16mm screening thanks to Hollywood Heritage), and Suds which is super underrated. Also a very rare shout out to Dorothy Vernon of Haddon Hall which was screened back in 2012 in LA and was an absolute delight to watch on the big screen. I also love Annie Rooney, Sparrows, My Best Girl, and Poor Little Rich Girl but based on careful observance the past ten years of what gets screened in the public, these films are showcased way too much(TCM acts like Pickford only made 3 movies) and it makes it seem like her filmography only consisted of five movies. I think the Pickford Foundation is on the right track regarding making more of her other lesser known films accessible and available. I think in the end, it will only help her legacy which I think is still underneath other contemporaries of the silent era. Just my five cents...

Another two of my fav's from that period are Heart of the Hills and M'liss. M'liss always gives me a couple of good laughs with Tully Marshall questioning Mary in the court room scene and Charles Ogle giving Mary the bad news about her dad. Both are not rated very high but I enjoy watching them as much Annie Rooney and Sparrows (but only with Carter or Perry accompaniment).

BrianG

PostFri May 11, 2018 9:39 am

Hamilton's Grandson wrote:You should watch the 2014 version of Little Annie Rooney scored by Andy Gladbach and also watch Sparrows and then you will become a bigger fan of Mary.

TCM ran Little Annie Rooney with the Gladbach score in 2016. It was great. If that's the version and score FA is releasing, I'm buying. As for Sparrows, I have that one and My Best Girl on Milestone/Image DVDs.They didn't do much for me at the time. I watched them once and they've been on a shelf ever since. I prefer German, French and Swedish silents.

Gaucho

PostSat May 12, 2018 12:51 pm

Mike Gebert wrote:My Best Girl, which proves she could have gone into screwball successfully, if she had tried or cared, a no-Victorian-stuff modern romantic comedy that is right up there with Swanson or Clara Bow for such things. The latter badly needs a new edition out, and I hope it gets one soon.

Completely agree, thoroughly enjoyed her in this film (playing closer to her actual age).

Another voice for Rosita on any format.

Gaucho

PostSat May 12, 2018 12:52 pm

Brooksie wrote:I expect it will do a tour of the usual festivals before a DVD release, much like Ramona (1928).

Was Ramona ever released on DVD?

Keatonesque

PostSat May 12, 2018 1:08 pm

Gaucho wrote:
Brooksie wrote:I expect it will do a tour of the usual festivals before a DVD release, much like Ramona (1928).

It's being screened for the first time widely at this year's SFSFF. Sometimes, that's an indication a release is imminent. In any case, I hope this one gets a BD/DVD treatment and not just DVD. Her films deserve to be released in the best possible format after all the painstaking restoration. I don't know who would get to release the Pickford films that the Foundation has been restoring, but since Little Annie Rooney is getting released on BD by Flicker Alley, I hope it's them.

Keatonesque

PostSat May 12, 2018 11:15 pm

BankofAmericasSweetheart wrote:I'm very happy to hear this news. I also want to vouch that I think Pickford's charm really comes through with her earlier career films, particularly the ones between 1915-1920 when she was in prime Doug Fairbanks affair lust mode. My favorites in particular are The Hoodlum, Stella Maris, Daddy Long Legs, Rags(A rare 16mm screening thanks to Hollywood Heritage), and Suds which is super underrated. Also a very rare shout out to Dorothy Vernon of Haddon Hall which was screened back in 2012 in LA and was an absolute delight to watch on the big screen. I also love Annie Rooney, Sparrows, My Best Girl, and Poor Little Rich Girl but based on careful observance the past ten years of what gets screened in the public, these films are showcased way too much(TCM acts like Pickford only made 3 movies) and it makes it seem like her filmography only consisted of five movies. I think the Pickford Foundation is on the right track regarding making more of her other lesser known films accessible and available. I think in the end, it will only help her legacy which I think is still underneath other contemporaries of the silent era. Just my five cents...

I cannot recall many showings of her films in the past 3-4 years with the exception of Sparrows and the premiere of the newly-restored Little Annie Rooney last fall. Her films have been subject to a lot of neglect in recent years. Swanson, Negri, Bow, Talmadge, and Moore have also been rarely seen in recent years too, aside from IT and Wings. Perhaps someday they can broadcast Brownlow's Hollywood documentary. I still fondly remember when they ran their Moguls and Movie Stars documentary. They should run documentaries on silent stars again rather than just reruns of TCM Private Screenings.

R Michael Pyle

PostSun May 13, 2018 5:46 am

Gaucho wrote:

It was released in set of American Masterpieces dealing with social issues. Great print, too.

Danny Burk

PostSun May 13, 2018 8:06 am

R Michael Pyle wrote:
Gaucho wrote:

It was released in set of American Masterpieces dealing with social issues. Great print, too.

This has been released? Rodney mentioned it here a few times; I think it was delayed, but supposed to be released at some point. That was at least a year or two ago; I didn't think it had been released yet. No one here has mentioned it again, AFAIK. Do you have a name for the set?

Mitch Farish

PostSun May 13, 2018 8:40 am

Ramona (1928) has not been released. I thought the plan was to release the Del Rio silent with other silent versions of Romona, included Pickford's for Biograph in 1910, as extras. I spoke to someone from Milestone about whether they would be releasing this, since they previously released Del Rio's Evangeline (also from Fox). They said they had no plans to release Ramona. Mont Alto has recorded a score, but so far there's been no announcement of a release by anyone.

Harold Aherne

PostSun May 13, 2018 9:48 am

The "Ramona" included on Treasures III: Social Issues in American Film was the 1910 Biograph with Mary Pickford.

--HA
Next

Return to Silent News