THE BIRTH OF A NATION BD, May 22.

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Scoundrel

THE BIRTH OF A NATION BD, May 22.

PostWed May 09, 2018 3:52 am

" You can't take life too seriously...you'll never get out of it alive."

Blackhawk Films customer

Roscoe

Re: THE BIRTH OF A NATION BD, May 22.

PostWed May 09, 2018 9:10 am

This looks like a US release of the Region 2 version -- which I own, and which is most worth owning if you're interested in the film.
"If you lose this war, don't blame me."

www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com

Scoundrel

PostWed May 09, 2018 10:53 am

This one is region free, tinted and I would not have included such a biased, damning review on the back cover art.
" You can't take life too seriously...you'll never get out of it alive."

Blackhawk Films customer

Keatonesque

PostWed May 09, 2018 12:38 pm

Scoundrel wrote:This one is region free, tinted and I would not have included such a biased, damning review on the back cover art.

If the review is damning, it is only because the film itself earned it. It's nothing new, as it was rightfully condemned as such even in its own time. Besides, Twilight Time are still releasing the film, and likely invested quite a bit to make this happen, aside from the review not discounting the film's legacy as "groundbreaking" and "perhaps the most original and influential work of art" in the film industry at that time. It could've mentioned the film's role in the revival of the KKK, but left that out in favor of a somewhat more subtle condemnation. Damning with faint praise, perhaps, but well deserved. Personally, I would've much rather preferred not another release of this brilliant monstrosity, but rather either of these 20s masterpieces that I (and others) believe to be his finest work: Isn't Life Wonderful (1924) and Lady of the Pavements (1929).

Scott J

PostWed May 09, 2018 7:37 pm

"The most egregiously racist film ever made...now in a beautifully restored limited edition" :lol:

All kidding aside, I completely understand their need to watch their back on this.

Nosferatu

PostThu May 10, 2018 11:10 am

Racist or Truthist? In an interview it was intended as an honest portrayal. Some good looking extras. 3,000 limited copies. Act now!

Arndt

PostThu May 10, 2018 11:20 am

We all know what this film is and I guess we are mature enough to decide whether to buy and watch it. If this is the same restoration that the bfi released and you have not seen it, I would go for it. It looks amazing.
"The greatest cinematic experience is the human face and it seems to me that silent films can teach us to read it anew." - Wim Wenders

Return to Silent News