Survival of W. F. Alder films, 1920?? (Yukon & Cannibals)

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

kthajeian

Survival of W. F. Alder films, 1920?? (Yukon & Cannibals)

PostWed May 16, 2018 1:12 pm

Does anyone know about the survival status of the following?
-"Shipwrecked Among Cannibals", 1920 directed by William F. Alder and produced by Edward Laemmle.
-A film made by Alder and Laemmle in Alaska and the Yukon c.1920. I don't know the title of this film but it was made right after filming "Shipwrecked Among Cannibals".

I am looking for the footage from Alaska and the Yukon for Tom Buman, whose grandfather wrote in his diary on Saturday, September 25, 1920, “…As we were going up through the timber above the Donjek River, I was surprised to see a fellow taking movies of us. Caraway said it was Dr. Jones and I said it was not as I was under the impression that Jones was an older man. We later learned it was Willie Alder from the Academy of Science of Los Angeles.” It would mean a lot to Mr. Buman's father, now 91, to find this footage.

As a Collection Manager for an Ethnology collection at the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County, I am looking for "Shipwrecked with Cannibals" because we have South Pacific material collected by both Alder and Laemmle while they were traveling to make this film. It would greatly enhance our understanding of the context of the associated material if we could view or obtain a copy of the film, regardless of whether the events portrayed were staged and sensationalized.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Thank you,
KT Hajeian

Brooksie

Re: Survival of W. F. Alder films, 1920?? (Yukon & Cannibals

PostWed May 16, 2018 2:04 pm

The Library of Congress' silent film survival database shows no archival holdings exist for Shipwrecked Among Cannibals (1920). Based on a synopsis in the AFI Catalog, it appears the other film you're after is The Isle of Vanishing Men (1924). According to the LoC, that too is considered a lost film.

Return to Silent News