Any Update On The Keaton Project?

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

jacksparrow900

Any Update On The Keaton Project?

PostMon Jun 18, 2018 3:29 pm

It seems hard to find any recent information on the keaton project. Last year Eureka released Sherlock Jr., The General and Steamboat Bill Jr. in a 3 film set from the new 4K restorations from Cohen. Battling Butler had a screening this June and Seven Chances along with Our Hospitality have been restored. It seems there isn't a lot of information on the restoration work taking place currently.

Ed Watz

Re: Any Update On The Keaton Project?

PostWed Jul 18, 2018 10:14 am

jacksparrow900 wrote:It seems hard to find any recent information on the keaton project. Last year Eureka released Sherlock Jr., The General and Steamboat Bill Jr. in a 3 film set from the new 4K restorations from Cohen. Battling Butler had a screening this June and Seven Chances along with Our Hospitality have been restored. It seems there isn't a lot of information on the restoration work taking place currently.

Tim Lanza works for Cohen Media and would likely be the best person to answer your query. You can reach him here:

Tim Lanza
Vice President, Archivist
Cohen Film Collection
50 West 5th Avenue
Columbus, OH 43201
[email protected]

I've been in contact with Cineteca d'Bologna in the past concerning the Keaton restorations. They are understandably reluctant to divulge which films might be released on BluRay next since that is Cohen Media's call. Last year when Cohen allowed Eureka! to release its three Keaton set they selected what were considered the most viable Keatons in terms of potential BluRay sales, even though this is a very limited run, and notwithstanding the fact that THE GENERAL and STEAMBOAT BILL, JR. have been available through the home video market (and before that, the home movie market) in complete form since the 1950s. But all three films never looked better than they do now - every die-hard Keaton fan should own it, if they haven't already bought it.

If you should contact Tim, would you please let us know his reply - thanks.

Javier

PostWed Jul 18, 2018 7:47 pm

It makes me wonder if a second box set will be available in the future. I know we all have our own personal favourites, but I am hoping Our Hospitality & Seven Chances would be included. Third choice for me, Go West.
I am so grateful for the all-regions DVD/Blu-Ray players available. Free of restrictions.
"it's a Kafka high, you feel like a bug"

Ed Watz

PostWed Jul 18, 2018 11:26 pm

Javier wrote:It makes me wonder if a second box set will be available in the future.

Kino International ran a fantastic marketing campaign of their Keaton sets for over 20 years - so your point is well taken.

Return to Silent News