Robert Youngson's M-G-M’s The Big Parade of Comedy 1964

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Ricardo

Robert Youngson's M-G-M’s The Big Parade of Comedy 1964

PostSun Jun 24, 2018 12:00 pm

Not exactly a silent movie topic, but it may be interesting. Another Robert Youngson's compilation was released, this time by Warner Archive on April 20th 2018, M-G-M’s The Big Parade of Comedy from 1964. In the first 20 minutes contains some scenes from silents, like The Boob (1926), Pretty Ladies (1925), The Sporting Venus (1925), Exit Smiling (1926), The Red Mill (1927), Show People (1928), Detectives (1928), China Bound (1929), The Cameraman (1928), and others silents I couldn't identify. Like other Youngson's compilations, narrated and music with some sound effects. From this point enter some of the MGM's sound comedies from 30's and 40's. Very good quality footage entirely. Total running time 90 minutes.

sepiatone

Re: Robert Youngson's M-G-M’s The Big Parade of Comedy 1964

PostTue Jun 26, 2018 4:17 pm

I don't know if Pretty Ladies still exists or is in fragments. But I'd love to see Detectives and China Bound make it to Warner archive. And I think Youngson also narrated The Love Goddesses(1965 JanusFilms), that would make a nice dvd release also.

Rick Lanham

PostTue Jun 26, 2018 7:16 pm

sepiatone wrote:…And I think Youngson also narrated The Love Goddesses(1965 JanusFilms), that would make a nice dvd release also.

It's available, although a review complains about the mastering:

https://www.amazon.com/Love-Goddesses-C ... +goddesses

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

sepiatone

PostFri Jun 29, 2018 10:37 am

Thanks Rick. the clip quality on both of these was outstanding.

Richard P. May

PostSat Jun 30, 2018 9:06 am

Regarding the clip quality, apparently MGM supplied Robert Youngson with top quality pre-print material to make the excerpts.
One of the features included in BIG PARADE OF COMEDY was THE CAMERAMAN, which was later considered lost, as far as quality elements were concerned. When Turner Entertainment Co. was active (1986-96), we were contacted by David Shepard telling us that he had acquired the Youngson archives. When inventorying the contents, he found a pristine fine grain master of THE CAMERAMAN, missing just reel one. Apparently MGM lent this for the compilation feature, and never followed up for its return.
We made arrangements to acquire this from David, and were then able to make a high quality restoration. After this was done, we then heard from Bruce Lawton, whose grandfather had a 16mm print of the complete feature, apparently made optically from the camera negative. He loaned this to us to make a 35mm blowup negative of the first reel, thus giving a complete restoration.
This is what is generally seen today on TCM.
Dick May

The Blackbird

PostSun Jul 01, 2018 6:02 am

sepiatone wrote:I don't know if Pretty Ladies still exists or is in fragments. But I'd love to see Detectives and China Bound make it to Warner archive. And I think Youngson also narrated The Love Goddesses(1965 JanusFilms), that would make a nice dvd release also.

PRETTY LADIES exists, it's just missing the colour production numbers (including the scene with Norma Shearer and the scene you can watch being filmed in the MGM 1925 STUDIO TOUR).

Harlowgold

PostMon Jul 02, 2018 9:40 am

The 60's silent compilation I really want to see is THE FURTHER PERILS OF LAUREL & HARDY because it has a clip from Will King's 1929 comedy short WEAK BUT WILLING in which Jean Harlow has a small part as a nightclub patron (with lines, unlike CITY LIGHTS). I've had the lobby card to this scene from the 1968 film for decades and I'm hoping this is a fair-sized bit (also have a 30's movie mag clipping with a pic from it which is different). I've never seen this movie (WEAK BUT WILLING) listed as being available or screened anywhere in my 30+ years as a Harlow fan.

azjazzman

PostSun Jul 08, 2018 6:07 am

Rick Lanham wrote:
sepiatone wrote:…And I think Youngson also narrated The Love Goddesses(1965 JanusFilms), that would make a nice dvd release also.

https://www.amazon.com/Love-Goddesses-C ... +goddesses" target="_blank

Rick

The Love Goddesses was released on Laserdisc and I’ll
wager that was the source for this grey market DVD.

Rick Lanham

PostSun Jul 08, 2018 7:40 am

azjazzman wrote:
Rick Lanham wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/Love-Goddesses-C ... +goddesses" target="_blank" target="_blank

Rick

The Love Goddesses was released on Laserdisc and I’ll
wager that was the source for this grey market DVD.

The DVD (on Amazon) is said to be from Image, so that shouldn't be a grey market item.
Image was a major force in laser disc manufacturing.

I have the DVD somewhere (in storage) or I could have confirmed the mastering.
I haven't watched it in years.

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

Richard Finegan

Re: Youngson's Big Parade of Comedy 1964

PostWed Jul 18, 2018 4:58 am

Harlowgold wrote:The 60's silent compilation I really want to see is THE FURTHER PERILS OF LAUREL & HARDY because it has a clip from Will King's 1929 comedy short WEAK BUT WILLING in which Jean Harlow has a small part as a nightclub patron (with lines, unlike CITY LIGHTS). I've had the lobby card to this scene from the 1968 film for decades and I'm hoping this is a fair-sized bit (also have a 30's movie mag clipping with a pic from it which is different). I've never seen this movie (WEAK BUT WILLING) listed as being available or screened anywhere in my 30+ years as a Harlow fan.

The feature THE FURTHER PERILS OF LAUREL & HARDY does not include any clips from the short WEAK BUT WILLING. That is a Paramount/Christie short, not a usual source for Youngson compilations. I have seen the feature several times and also have seen all the lobby cards from it, even have a few, and none of the lobby cards show any scene from WEAK BUT WILLING either. The feature does include a clip from the 1929 Hal Roach/MGM silent short THE UNKISSED MAN, with Jean Harlow and Bryant Washburn. One lobby card also shows that scene. Unfortunately that short appears to be lost, or at least unavailable. The short WEAK BUT WILLING does survive in at least one 16mm print that was screened at Cinefest a few years ago. It is a very good showcase for Harlow. She gets dialogue and close-ups too - certainly her best showcase so far in her career.
Last edited by Richard Finegan on Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harlowgold

Re: Youngson's Big Parade of Comedy 1964

PostThu Jul 19, 2018 4:24 pm

Richard Finegan wrote:
Harlowgold wrote:The 60's silent compilation I really want to see is THE FURTHER PERILS OF LAUREL & HARDY because it has a clip from Will King's 1929 comedy short WEAK BUT WILLING in which Jean Harlow has a small part as a nightclub patron (with lines, unlike CITY LIGHTS). I've had the lobby card to this scene from the 1968 film for decades and I'm hoping this is a fair-sized bit (also have a 30's movie mag clipping with a pic from it which is different). I've never seen this movie (WEAK BUT WILLING) listed as being available or screened anywhere in my 30+ years as a Harlow fan.

The feature THE FURTHER PERILS OF LAUREL & HARDY does not include any clips from the short WEAK BUT WILLING. That is a Paramount/Christie short, not a usual source for Youngson compilations. I have seen the feature several times and also have seen all the lobby cards from it, and none of the lobby cards show any scene from WEAK BUT WILLING either. The feature does include a clip from the 1929 Hal Roach/MGM silent short THE UNKISSED MAN, with Jean Harlow and Bryant Washburn. One lobby card also shows that scene. Unfortunately that short appears to me lost, or at least unavailable. The short WEAK BUT WILLING does survive in at least one 16mm print that was screened at Cinefest a few years ago. It is a very good showcase for Harlow. She gets dialogue and close-ups too - certainly her best showcase so far in her career.

Thanks for the clarification - I've not seen Harlow in any comedy shorts outside of the Laurel & Hardy work so I had the title wrong for the film clipped in the compilation. Yes, THE UNKISSED MAN is the one that has a lobby card for the feature. Great news too to hear the full short has been screened publicly and that Jean has a nice showcase in the movie - have a photocopy of the script to either WBW or TUM somewhere boxed away and Jean's character has some dialogue in it - would be wonderful if WBW also has a real role in it for her.

Return to Silent News