Upcoming Edition filmmuseum releases

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

rogerskarsten

Upcoming Edition filmmuseum releases

PostMon May 16, 2011 9:29 pm

Edition filmmuseum has updated their website with some exciting developments, among them:

* The release of HAMLET (1921) and DIE FILMPRIMADONNA (1913, fragment), both starring Asta Nielsen, is currently set for June 10, 2011. See this link for more details.

* SCREENING THE POOR 1888-1914, a 2-disc set featuring both early film and Victorian slide shows, will be released this week (May 20). A complete list of all the films and presentations included can be found here.

* Under forthcoming releases (which often gestate for an indeterminate period), two more Asta Nielsen films will appear as EF 67: DIE SUFFRAGETTE (1913) and DAS ESKIMOBABY (1918); and among the titles "in preparation" (which sometimes languish even longer), we can now also look forward to ALGOL (1920), starring Emil Jannings and Erna Morena. The full listings can be found here.

~Roger

Brooksie

PostMon May 16, 2011 11:57 pm

I'd be very interested to see `Hamlet' - this particular version has an intriguing plot twist, in that Hamlet is actually a woman disguised as a man. I guess it was an attempt to create a realistic justification for the common theatrical practise of `breeches' Hamlets, but ... !

missdupont

PostTue May 17, 2011 12:00 am

I saw HAMLET 2-3 years ago at UCLA, and thought Nielsen gave a great performance. It also looks great, with some dramatic lighting and sets.

silentmovies74

PostTue May 17, 2011 2:36 am

Hamlet is gorgeous, but probably would have sold much better had the restoration not been shown on TV first and therefore already spread around the collector's network (albeit illegally) before the release - it's very odd that owners of such restorations never learn! Bearing that in mind, it's good to see a 2nd disc of substantial extras.

The release of Das Eskimobaby is great news!

Penfold

PostTue May 17, 2011 5:21 am

Brooksie wrote:I'd be very interested to see `Hamlet' - this particular version has an intriguing plot twist, in that Hamlet is actually a woman disguised as a man. I guess it was an attempt to create a realistic justification for the common theatrical practise of `breeches' Hamlets, but ... !

It was actually, in certain late-Victorian literary circles, a fashionable theory as to what Shakespeare intended; it 'explained' the 'look but don't touch' relationship with Ophelia, the extremely close relationship with Horatio.....google Dr Edward Vining, his (1880's) works are online. Though they may say more about late-Victorian sensibilities about masculinity and royalty than Shakespeare...
I could use some digital restoration myself...

rogerskarsten

Re: Upcoming Edition filmmuseum releases

PostThu May 19, 2011 12:47 pm

rogerskarsten wrote:* SCREENING THE POOR 1888-1914, a 2-disc set featuring both early film and Victorian slide shows, will be released this week (May 20). A complete list of all the films and presentations included can be found here.

SCREENING THE POOR is now available for sale on the Edition filmmuseum website.

drednm

PostThu May 19, 2011 1:26 pm

Does this Hamlet have English titles?
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Lorusso/e/ ... 203&sr=8-1

rogerskarsten

PostThu May 19, 2011 1:47 pm

drednm wrote:Does this Hamlet have English titles?

It will have English subtitles, as do all the releases from Edition filmmuseum that are not already English-language films (such as the Hal Roach series).

~Roger

drednm

PostThu May 19, 2011 2:05 pm

oh they're PAL format
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Lorusso/e/ ... 203&sr=8-1

rogerskarsten

PostWed Jul 13, 2011 9:26 pm

The 2-disc edition of HAMLET (1921), including the surviving fragment of DIE FILMPRIMADONNA (1913) and other special features, is now available to order at the Edition filmmuseum site!

~Roger

rogerskarsten

PostFri Jun 15, 2012 5:20 pm

Four more of Asta Nielsen's films are now available on DVD! All the music scores are by Maud Nelissen.

DIE SUFFRAGETTE (1913)
DAS LIEBES-ABC (1916)
DAS ESKIMOBABY (1916)
DIE BÖRSENKÖNIGIN (1916)

For more details, and to order, see the Edition filmmuseum site.

~Roger

T0m M

PostSat Sep 01, 2012 4:35 pm

DVD Talk review of [b]Four Fims with Asta Nielsen[b]: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/57873/fo ... a-nielsen/" target="_blank

Darren Nemeth

PostSat Sep 01, 2012 11:57 pm

Are the intertitles in "Four Films with Asta Nielsen" in English???
Darren Nemeth
1966 Batboat Blog!
http://batboat.blogspot.com/

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostSun Sep 02, 2012 12:27 am

The films' reconstructed intertitles are presented in German with optional subtitles in English, French, Spanish and Portuguese.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Darren Nemeth

PostSun Sep 02, 2012 12:32 am

Mike Gebert wrote:
The films' reconstructed intertitles are presented in German with optional subtitles in English, French, Spanish and Portuguese.

Thanks. Will order it then. :D
Darren Nemeth
1966 Batboat Blog!

Richard Finegan

PostSun Sep 02, 2012 7:22 am

I hope they're considering a Volume 2 of their "Female Comedy Teams" shorts, hopefully to include the restored silent short GOING GA GA (1929) starring Anita Garvin and Marion Byron.

T0m M

PostSun Sep 02, 2012 8:31 am

Darren Nemeth wrote:
Mike Gebert wrote:

Thanks. Will order it then. :D

Be aware that these discs are a PAL, region 0 release. So, while it is region free, North American residents will still need a DVD player with PAL to NTSC conversion to watch it on their television.

Salty Dog

PostSun Sep 02, 2012 9:06 am

Richard Finegan wrote:I hope they're considering a Volume 2 of their "Female Comedy Teams" shorts, hopefully to include the restored silent short GOING GA GA (1929) starring Anita Garvin and Marion Byron.

Actually, Volume 1 includes a restoration of all existing footage of GOING GA GA. It's listed as an extra, because
it is incomplete, but I think that's all that survives.

Very weird film from what survives!
Bill Coleman

Darren Nemeth

PostSun Sep 02, 2012 10:25 am

T0m M wrote:Be aware that these discs are a PAL, region 0 release. So, while it is region free, North American residents will still need a DVD player with PAL to NTSC conversion to watch it on their television.

Great. I'll see if there is a PAL DVD player for my laptop then. :shock:
Darren Nemeth
1966 Batboat Blog!

Richard Finegan

Bring on Volume 2!

PostSun Sep 02, 2012 2:33 pm

Salty Dog wrote:
Richard Finegan wrote:I hope they're considering a Volume 2 of their "Female Comedy Teams" shorts, hopefully to include the restored silent short GOING GA GA (1929) starring Anita Garvin and Marion Byron.

Actually, Volume 1 includes a restoration of all existing footage of GOING GA GA. It's listed as an extra, because
it is incomplete, but I think that's all that survives.

No, it exists complete (except a little missing due to damage). It was completely restored, and even scored and I believe considered for possible inclusion in the Max Davidson DVD set (Max is in it) that was just being completed at that time. But it untimately wasn't included in that set and word was that if the Female Comedy Teams set Volume 1 did well they'd consider a Volume 2 that would include GOING GA GA.
The clip included on the Female Comedy Teams Volume 1 disc was just a sort of in-progress sample of some of what had been completed by then.

It can't hurt for all interested fans to contact them and urge them to release more of this rare Roach material, perhaps even some of the surviving 1929 early-talkie Charley Chase shorts.
Last edited by Richard Finegan on Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

silentmovies742

PostSun Sep 02, 2012 8:29 pm

I ordered some filmmuseum dvds last year. Went back today to buy the asta nielsen 2dvd set released a few months ago, but in the end refused. 17 euro for postage from germany to UK is ridiculous. I wonder how many other people are going to refuse to buy from them for the same reason.

mndean

PostSun Sep 02, 2012 9:19 pm

silentmovies742 wrote:I ordered some filmmuseum dvds last year. Went back today to buy the asta nielsen 2dvd set released a few months ago, but in the end refused. 17 euro for postage from germany to UK is ridiculous. I wonder how many other people are going to refuse to buy from them for the same reason.

Wow, I've had heavier items shipped from the UK to here cheaper than that.

Salty Dog

PostMon Sep 03, 2012 8:19 am

mndean wrote:
silentmovies742 wrote:I ordered some filmmuseum dvds last year. Went back today to buy the asta nielsen 2dvd set released a few months ago, but in the end refused. 17 euro for postage from germany to UK is ridiculous. I wonder how many other people are going to refuse to buy from them for the same reason.

Wow, I've had heavier items shipped from the UK to here cheaper than that.

Odd, the last time I ordered from them it was around 14 euros to ship to the U.S.
Bill Coleman

Derwiddian

PostMon Sep 03, 2012 8:28 am

Just ordered it, along with Joyless Street. 13.88 euros from Germany to the (eastern) U.S. As I recall, they send by missile to your doorstep in a day or two. Or at least faster than stuff I order from U.S. retailers.

Kevin2

PostMon Sep 03, 2012 9:13 am

You may also want to try Amazon.de. They have many of the Edition Filmmuseum DVDs at good prices.
http://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1 ... Cdvd%2C369" target="_blank

Amazon.it has them as well:
http://www.amazon.it/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?_ ... filmmuseum" target="_blank

silentmovies742

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 8:35 am

I just contacted them and got a reply, telling me that if they put the order through manually then postage is 5 euro for up to 3 items. Slight difference!

Darren Nemeth

PostWed Sep 05, 2012 9:44 am

WOW! That was quick!

They shipped it FedEx. I ordered on the 2nd and it just came in today, the 5th!
Darren Nemeth
1966 Batboat Blog!

s.w.a.c.

PostThu Sep 06, 2012 2:50 pm

I've also ordered Edition Filmmuseum from a European Amazon outlet (I found the best prices at the Italian Amazon, but that may have changed since I ordered them) and saved a few euros in the process on shipping.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Derwiddian

PostFri Sep 07, 2012 6:20 am

Ordered Monday. Sent Tuesday from Munich. Received Wednesday before noon FedEx. Great if you need quick delivery (I don't think I really did, but I'm happy).

Gary Newman

PostTue Sep 11, 2012 10:14 am

silentmovies742 wrote:I just contacted them and got a reply, telling me that if they put the order through manually then postage is 5 euro for up to 3 items. Slight difference!

So how do you arrange for them to put through the order manually, whatever that means?
Next

Return to Silent News