Upcoming Edition filmmuseum releases

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

silentmovies742

Re: Upcoming Edition filmmuseum releases

PostTue Sep 11, 2012 3:56 pm

I'm not actually sure! I haven't got around to it yet, as I had guests at the end of last week and got distracted. My guess is that it would have to be by phone - I certainly am not going to send card details by email for obvious reasons.

rogerskarsten

PostSun Oct 28, 2012 4:34 pm

I see that there has been a recent update to the "Forthcoming Releases" list (which generally take their sweet time to actually come forth):

Two of Gerhard Lamprecht's Berlin "milieu" films will appear in edition #77: DIE VERRUFENEN (1925) and DIE UNEHELICHEN (1926)

I'm also looking forward to the release of ALGOL, and then there are the other discs that are on my list, but which I haven't gotten around to ordering yet (for example, the four Asta Nielsen films).

~Roger

rogerskarsten

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 10:17 am

Okay, that was fast! The 2-disc DVD featuring Lamprecht's DIE VERRUFENEN and DIE UNEHELICHEN is now available from Edition filmmuseum.

rogerskarsten

PostSat Nov 21, 2015 3:52 pm

New for November 2015: HELENA. DER UNTERGANG TROJAS

"The 2-disc DVD presents for the first time an unjustly forgotten classic epic of the German silent cinema in a newly reconstructed and meticulously restored version. Shooting in Munich and its surroundings with an international cast, director Manfred Noa told the story of Helen of Troy and the decade-long war between the Greeks and the Trojans. The additional features of this DVD include the contemporary souvenir programs and stills as well as alternate scenes, rushes, foreign intertitles and outtakes."

More details on the DVD features can be found here.

~Roger

fredhedges

PostSat Nov 21, 2015 5:26 pm

Merry Christmas to me!

Arndt

PostSat Jul 02, 2016 5:53 am

Edition Filmmuseum announce the release of DER STUDENT VON PRAG (1913) for 15 July.

https://www.edition-filmmuseum.com/product_info.php/language/en/info/p159_Der-Student-von-Prag.html
MELIOR

bobfells

PostSat Jul 02, 2016 8:37 am

Arndt wrote:Edition Filmmuseum announce the release of DER STUDENT VON PRAG (1913) for 15 July.

https://www.edition-filmmuseum.com/product_info.php/language/en/info/p159_Der-Student-von-Prag.html

Big news for me would be the release of the 1926 version with Conrad Veidt. The 1913 version has, shall we say, been around for a while.

fredhedges

PostSat Jul 02, 2016 12:59 pm

Arndt wrote:Edition Filmmuseum announce the release of DER STUDENT VON PRAG (1913) for 15 July.

Reading the description of the release, the inclusion of a previously unknown prologue, proper intertitles, and an historic music track make this a must-buy for me.

But there are other early German films I would love to see restored, most notably Bassermann's Der Andere.

Darren Nemeth

PostSat Jul 02, 2016 2:43 pm

This is great news about STUDENT. They can expect an order from me.

Thanks for posting.
Darren Nemeth
1966 Batboat Blog!
http://batboat.blogspot.com/

rogerskarsten

PostWed Nov 16, 2016 11:37 am

A new silent release from Edition Filmmuseum!

EF 105 THE SALVATION HUNTERS

Before making (sound) film history with ‘The Blue Angel’, Viennese-born filmmaker Josef von Sternberg directed a series of thematically and stylistically daring silent films. This DVD presents the first and last of his surviving silents, digitally restored from archival 35mm elements and supplemented by a new video essay by film historian Janet Bergstrom. ‘The Salvation Hunters’, von Sternberg's self-financed, socially conscious directorial debut, won praise from Charles Chaplin, among others, and includes a new score by award-winning Austrian composer Siegfried Friedrich. The sole extant fragment of ‘The Case of Lena Smith’ brings the director's youthful memories of fin de siècle Vienna vividly to life.

Jim Roots

PostThu Nov 17, 2016 7:27 am

rogerskarsten wrote:A new silent release from Edition Filmmuseum!

EF 105 THE SALVATION HUNTERS

Before making (sound) film history with ‘The Blue Angel’, Viennese-born filmmaker Josef von Sternberg directed a series of thematically and stylistically daring silent films. This DVD presents the first and last of his surviving silents, digitally restored from archival 35mm elements and supplemented by a new video essay by film historian Janet Bergstrom. ‘The Salvation Hunters’, von Sternberg's self-financed, socially conscious directorial debut, won praise from Charles Chaplin, among others, and includes a new score by award-winning Austrian composer Siegfried Friedrich. The sole extant fragment of ‘The Case of Lena Smith’ brings the director's youthful memories of fin de siècle Vienna vividly to life.

Really! This is quite something, to finally have access to this famous film.

Jim

Ricardo

PostSun Dec 11, 2016 6:06 pm

Edition Filmmuseum's The Salvation Hunters (1925)/ The Case of Lena Smith (1929 fragment)/Josef von Sternberg, Salvation Hunter (2016 documentary) is highly recommended. The Salvation Hunters is now to me, one of the best of silent era.

Ricardo

Arndt

PostFri Dec 23, 2016 10:31 am

It is official now. The long-awaited DVD set KAFKA GOES TO THE MOVIES is to be released in March 2017. No detailed contents list as yet, but what I have heard sounds promising. Contrary to what you might expect Kafka actually liked to have a laugh and was a fan of Mary Pickford.

Announcement here:
https://www.edition-filmmuseum.com/product_info.php/language/en/info/p182_Kafka-geht-ins-Kino.html
MELIOR

Jim Roots

PostSat Dec 24, 2016 9:44 am

Arndt wrote: Contrary to what you might expect Kafka actually liked to have a laugh

Prove it!

Jim
(Kafka fan)

Ann Harding

PostSat Dec 24, 2016 10:16 am

I may have a few clues regarding the films included in the set. The Cinémathèque showed a Kafka season of silent films last spring. Here are the titles screened:
Broyeuse de coeur (La) Camille de Morlhon / France / 1913
Lutte pour la vie (La) André Heuzé / France / 1907
Martyre de Louis XVII (Le) Anonyme / France / 1908
Primo circuito aereo internazionale di Brescia Anonyme / Italie / 1909
DEN HVIDE SLAVEHANDELS SIDSTE OFFER August Blom / Danemark / 1911

Arndt

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 10:08 am

The 3 DVD set KAFKA AT THE MOVIES is set for release next Tuesday (May 2nd).

https://www.edition-filmmuseum.com/product_info.php/language/en/info/p182_Kafka-geht-ins-Kino.html

Here is a list of the films it contains:

Jízda Prahou otevřenou tramvají (A Tram Ride through Prague) - Czech 1908 - Directed, written, photographed and produced by: Jan Kříenecký - Restored by: Národní Filmový Archiv, Prague

Peschiera / Lago Maggiore e lago di Como / Liguria / Il corse de Mirafiori (Italian travelogues) - Italy 1907-1913 - Produced by: Società Anonima Ambrosio, Torino / Società italiana Cines, Rome - Restored by: La cineteca del Friuli, Gemona

Primo Circuito Aereo Internazionale di Aeroplane in Brescia (First International Cometition for Airplanes in Brescia) - Italy 1909 - Produced by: Manifatture Cinematografiche Adolfo Croce, Milano - Restored by: Fondazione Cineteca di Bologna

Den hvide slavehandels sidste offer (The White Slave) - Denmark 1911 - Directed by: August Blom Written by: Peter Christensen - Cinematography by: Axel Graatkjær - Cast: Clara Wieth, Lauritz Olsen, Thora Meincke, Otto Lagoni, Frederik Jacobsen, Peter Nielsen - Produced by: Nordisk Film, Kopenhagen - Restored by: Det Danske Filminstut, Kopenhagen / Filmmuseum München

Nick Winter et le vol de la joconde (Nick Winter and the Theft of the Mona Lisa) - France 1911 - Directed by: Paul Garbagni - Cast: Georges Vinter - Produced by: Pathé Frères, Paris -Restored by: Gaumont Pathé archives, Paris

Der Andere (The Other) - Germany 1912 - Directed by: Max Mack - Written by: Paul Lind - Kamera: Hermann Böttger - Cast: Albert Bassermann, Emmerich Hanus, Nelly Ridou, Hanni Weisse, Léon Resemann, Otto Collot - Produced by: Vitascope GmbH, Berlin - Restored by: Filmmuseum München

Theodor Körner - Germany 1912 - Directed and written by: Gerhard Dammann, Franz Porten - Photographed by: Werner Brandes - Cast: Friedrich Feher, Hermann Seldeneck, Thea Sandten - Produced by: Deutsche Mutoskop- and Biograph GmbH, Berlin - Restored by: Filmmuseum München

La broyeuse de coeurs (The Heart Breaker) - France 1913 - Directed and written by: Camille de Morlhon - Cast: Léontine Massart, Pierre Magnier, Camille Licenay, Jeanne Brindeau - Produced by: Films Valetta, Paris - Restored by: La Cinémathèque Française, Paris

Prazdnovanie 300-letija Doma Romanovych (Celebrating 300 Years of the Romanov Dynasty) - Russia 1913 - Produced by: Pathé Frères, Moscow - Restored by: Russian States Archives for film and photo documents, Krasnogorsk

Daddy-Long-Legs - USA 1919 - Directed by: Marshall A. Neilan - Written by: Agnes Johnson, based on the novel by Jean Webster - Kamera: Charles Rosher - Cast: Mary Pickford, Milla Davenport, Percy Haswell, Fay Lemport, Mahlon Hamilton, Lillian Langdon, Marshall Neilan - Produced by: Mary Pickford Company, Los Angeles - Restored by: The Library of Congress, Culpepper / Filmmuseum München

Shiwat Zion (Return to Zion) - Palestine 1921 - Directed, written, photographed and produced by: Ya'acov Ben-Dov - Restored by: Národní Filmový Archiv, Prague

Kafka va au cinéma (Kafka geht ins Kino) - France 2002 - Directed and written by: Hanns Zischler - Cinematography by: Hanns Zischler, Ute Adamczewski, Miriam Fassbender - Produced by: Movimento Production, Paris
MELIOR

Jim Roots

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 11:28 am

Aside from the last one, and maybe the travelogue through Prague, what do these films have to do with Kafka?

Jim

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 12:21 pm

From the site:

The 4-disc DVD presents for the first time the surviving films Kafka saw in his lifetime and mentioned in his writings: documentaries, early feature films, newsreels. All the films were restored by archives in the U.S., Germany, Czechia, France, Italy, Denmark, and Russia and presented in new versions with new scores performed by Günter A. Buchwald and Richard Siedhoff.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

R. Cat

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 1:37 pm

Jim Roots wrote:Aside from the last one, and maybe the travelogue through Prague, what do these films have to do with Kafka?

Jim

Perhaps they're anticipating future literary works based on theories about what influenced Kafka's world view. :?

Mike Gebert wrote:From the site:

The 4-disc DVD presents for the first time the surviving films Kafka saw in his lifetime and mentioned in his writings: documentaries, early feature films, newsreels. All the films were restored by archives in the U.S., Germany, Czechia, France, Italy, Denmark, and Russia and presented in new versions with new scores performed by Günter A. Buchwald and Richard Siedhoff.

I predict there'll be a great many films restored from international archives featuring works produced before & during my lifetime that I've mentioned in numerous writings. That said, I doubt there'll be any box sets commemorating my filmgoing experiences. :lol:

Seriously, Edition Filmmuseum releases are easily recommended. I've never been disappointed by any of their silent releases.
Last edited by R. Cat on Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Roots

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 1:31 pm

Sorry I didn't check back through the start of this thread before asking what these films have to do with Kafka. Thanks to those who gently reminded me.

I wish to heck someone like Criterion would release Orson Welles' The Trial with captioning...

Jim

silentmovies742

PostSat Apr 29, 2017 7:03 pm

It's a rather loose way to theme a collection of films, but hey, whose complaining. Worth getting for Der Andere alone, I would suggest,

Arndt

PostMon May 01, 2017 3:56 am

silentmovies742 wrote:Worth getting for Der Andere alone, I would suggest,

I'll happily second that.
MELIOR

fredhedges

PostMon May 01, 2017 11:05 am

silentmovies742 wrote:It's a rather loose way to theme a collection of films, but hey, whose complaining. Worth getting for Der Andere alone, I would suggest,

Absolutely.

Arndt

PostSat May 06, 2017 4:07 am

I have received and looked at the KAFKA GOES TO THE MOVIES set. Here are my impressions:
This is a well-produced collection of very different and interesting films. The highlights for me are

DER ANDERE (The other one), 1913. Legendary as the first "serious" German film, this stars renowned stage actor Albert Bassermann in a Jekyll and Hyde type story. Previously only available in more or less dreadful grey market copies, it is a joy to see this film in a good version. The scan is from the only surviving print, a 16mm reduction from the collection of Gerhard Lamprecht. Even though the film is not totally complete it is fun to watch. Bassermann's acting carries the then new and since much used plot along nicely.

DADDY-LONG-LEGS, 1919. Apparently this was one of Kafka's absolute favourite films. The scan here is from a 16mm print, apparently the best to be found, and is a definite improvement on the old IMAGE DVD. The picture is much more stable, there is far less flicker, less physical damage and a markedly better resolutiion.

THEODOR KÖRNER, 1912. A heroic epic about a German author who died in the Napoleonic wars. I had not expected much of it, but it is well and imaginatively made and turned out to be a lot more entertaining than I had thought.

I also enjoyed the travelogues and actualities a lot. The other films are interesting enough, but unfortunately the German-French documentary KAFKA VA AU CINEMA is way too arty-farty for my liking.

One of the best things for me about this collection is that most of the films come with musical accompaniment by young silent film musician Richard Siedhoff. He is simply superb and manages to show off each film to best advantage. The other films are competently accompanied by stalwart Günter Buchwald.
MELIOR
Previous

Return to Silent News