BEGGARS OF LIFE New Score

Everything related to researching, scoring and performing music with silent film.
  • Author

Rodney

BEGGARS OF LIFE New Score

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 5:50 pm

I wrote an essay about the Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra's score for Beggars of Life, and updated it to acknowledge the new release on the Kino Lorber label.

This is quite geeky, but I hope some of you enjoy seeing what process we used to create the score. The article also includes the entire original cue sheet for reference.

I'm exploring new tools for maintaining a modern web site (which, in theory, will migrate throughout the web site as time goes on), so I apologize for any broken links or other weirdnesses. I'm still learning. But, at least these pages should now be "responsive" and easy to read on all devices.
Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"

oldposterho

Re: BEGGARS OF LIFE New Score

PostWed Aug 23, 2017 8:47 pm

Fascinating stuff, I had no idea about cue sheets. Seeing some of the odd score choices the 'music compiler' made (where the music didn't match the images) I wonder how much interaction there was between the director/producers and the compilers, or was this just somebody's day job where sometimes care was taken and sometimes their mind was elsewhere?

Rodney

Re: BEGGARS OF LIFE New Score

PostTue Aug 29, 2017 3:26 pm

oldposterho wrote:Fascinating stuff, I had no idea about cue sheets. Seeing some of the odd score choices the 'music compiler' made (where the music didn't match the images) I wonder how much interaction there was between the director/producers and the compilers, or was this just somebody's day job where sometimes care was taken and sometimes their mind was elsewhere?

I don't know for sure, but I strongly suspect that there was little or no interaction between the score compilers and the directors and producers. There are some exceptions (which, notably, make a big deal of it), such as the cue sheet for Peter Pan, which boasts of how Herbert Brenon was brought in to help on the cue sheet.
Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"

Return to Music For Silents