Musical Highlights from our production of A Modern Musketeer

Everything related to researching, scoring and performing music with silent film.
  • Author

gentlemanfarmer

Musical Highlights from our production of A Modern Musketeer

PostWed Feb 29, 2012 3:23 pm

I wanted to thank all the people on this site who provided insightful comments, historical suggestions, loans of music, and excellent commentary on the topic of silent film score preparation and performance, most especially those who took time again and again to correspond or respond to my posts and questions: Rodney Sauer, Jack Theakston, Andrew Greene, Ben Model, and Robert Israel.

On Feb. 17, our Kittanning Ivy Leaf Orchestra made its debute performance with my compiled score for Douglas Fairbank's A Modern Musketeer, made possible with support from our local charitable foundation, The Armstrong County Community Foundation, and the screening was made possible through the generosity of David Shepard, Lobster Films, and the Danish Filmmuseum.

I hope you enjoy the musical selections.

The Ivy Leaf Orchestra is available for concerts, and silent film screenings, in both full and smaller ensembles, please private message me if you have any interest or would like more information.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ar8zsbsI2T8#!

Again, my thanks,
Eric Cook
Eric W. Cook
Director, Ivy Leaf Orchestra
Silent Film, Salon and Ragtime Orchestra
Please visit us at ivyleaforchestra.com

Gagman 66

Re: Musical Highlights from our production of A Modern Muske

PostMon Mar 05, 2012 7:51 pm

:D Wow! You guys are excellent. Really enjoyed this. Superb renditions and very authentic sounding. Would be nice if you could score a DVD release of something like Norma Talmadge SMILIN' THROUGH (1922). Constance Talmadge EAST IS WEST, or Olive Thomas UP YONDER. None of these have had releases, since they lack scores. or maybe something for Warner Archive. Like SALLY, IRENE, AND MARY, AN EXCHANGE OF WIVES, BROWN OF HARVARD, or SLIDE KELLY SLIDE. Anyone of several Marion Davies films such as ZANDER THE GREAT, THE LIGHTS OF OLD BROADWAY, or BEVERLY OF GRAUSTARK. Or any Colleen Moore movie. I would snap up a release in a heart beat.

gentlemanfarmer

Re: Musical Highlights from our production of A Modern Muske

PostMon Mar 05, 2012 8:44 pm

Thanks for the very kind compliments. We hope to keep doing films and getting better, it would be wonderful to do a DVD someday.
Eric W. Cook
Director, Ivy Leaf Orchestra
Silent Film, Salon and Ragtime Orchestra
Please visit us at ivyleaforchestra.com

Return to Music For Silents