Blackhawk audio cassettes

Everything related to researching, scoring and performing music with silent film.
  • Author

coolcatdaddy

Blackhawk audio cassettes

PostMon May 13, 2013 7:09 pm

I was sorting through some old material the other day and ran into a couple of old time radio show cassettes that Blackhawk Films sold through the catalogue for a brief period back in the day - I wish I'd picked up more of them because the sound quality was excellent. These were branded by Blackhawk.

The reason I'm posting here is that I distinctly recall that Blackhawk also sold audio cassettes of instrumental accompaniment for some of their silent films, aimed at people who had bought silent prints and didn't have a sound projector.

I've never run into any of these cassettes on the used market. Anyone else remember them or am I imagining things? Any idea what titles were offered?

Paul Penna

Re: Blackhawk audio cassettes

PostMon May 13, 2013 8:26 pm

Can't help with Blackhawk, but I still have this oddity on hand. Can't remember how I got it - though probably via an ad in Movie Collector's World in the 70s - or if I ever actually used it with my Two Tars Blackhawk Super-8 print.

cassette.jpg
cassette.jpg (168.79 KiB) Viewed 2880 times

silentfilm

PostTue May 14, 2013 6:32 am

I've got some old Blackhawk and Griggs-Moviedrome catalogs that list these. I'll try to scan them in the next few days.

LouieD

silentfilm

PostTue May 14, 2013 9:47 pm

I haven't had a chance to scan it, but I have a Spring 1975 Griggs-Moviedrome catalog that lists 149 cassette tapes of either Paul Norman or Stuart Oderman playing for 16mm prints that you could play along with your silent prints. While many are for Essex Film Club (Griggs Moviedrome) prints, they are apparently for Blackhawk and other distributors' versions too.

johnterendy

PostFri May 31, 2013 6:55 pm

I wonder if the master tapes for any of these still exist...

Keith Paynter

PostSat May 10, 2014 12:43 pm

johnterendy wrote:I wonder if the master tapes for any of these still exist...

A couple of years ago Donald Lee told me he still had the 16mm mag masters for Lee Erwin's score for 'The Phantom of The Opera'.

I'd certainly pay to have a post-production facility convert that to a more accessible format, but I don't think Donald owns the copyright.
No, YOU'RE The Phantom!

Return to Music For Silents