Maybe off topic - Midi Pipe Organ sources??

Everything related to researching, scoring and performing music with silent film.
  • Author

Darren Nemeth

Maybe off topic - Midi Pipe Organ sources??

PostTue Jul 29, 2014 3:58 pm

I am thinking of getting one of these for some upcoming screenings I may be running next year.

Anyone know of a source for pre-built, turn key midi pipe organs in the USA?? Ready to go right out of the box?

At this point I am just looking for information.

Thanks in advance.
Darren Nemeth
1966 Batboat Blog!
http://batboat.blogspot.com/

BenModel

Re: Maybe off topic - Midi Pipe Organ sources??

PostTue Jul 29, 2014 5:02 pm

I'd imagine anything like this with real pipes and blower would be a custom job. Any reason you're aiming for this instead of Miditzer or Hauptwerk for organ sound?

Ben
Undercrank Productions - rare silents on DVD/Blu available on Amazon
follow @silentfilmmusic on Twitter
Silent Film Music Podcast available on Apple Podcasts and on Stitcher.

Darren Nemeth

PostWed Jul 30, 2014 6:21 pm

I dont know how to play an organ and I was just thinking of having something that could play itself. Player piano style.

It would be used out side to attract people to the showing and maybe used for preshow music. It would also be neat to play it in the house for entertainment.

There is a man in the UK who makes them but the freight is far too much.

Anyone know??
Darren Nemeth
1966 Batboat Blog!
http://batboat.blogspot.com/

gentlemanfarmer

PostSun Aug 03, 2014 2:51 pm

In a former life I was a pipe-organ builder, there is nothing quite like this available out of the box...to build one would cost about $400 I'd guess, depending on which components you used, and whether they were new or used. If you know any pipe organ builders in your region, they might be willing to put together a temporary one for you, we used to do that occasionally, for a one off event, put together a few rank of pipes from spare parts, for school demonstration, church committees, even concerts that need a portative organ for continuo playing, etc.; and it wouldn't be hard to add a MIDI unit to play them, if I had one in my shop. You could always rent a Johannus digital organ or Allen organ, and there have been digital theater organs, I think from both Rogers and Allen, you might talk to the local dealer, they usually all have MIDI units now, and could be set up to play from the MIDI, you'd need someone to have pre-recorded or a acquire a file of what you want to have it play of course.

This reminds me of these...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gih6iWelWIQ

Eric W. Cook
Director, Ivy Leaf Orchestra
Silent Film, Salon and Ragtime Orchestra
Please visit us at ivyleaforchestra.com

Return to Music For Silents