Do you dislike all electronic music for silents?

Everything related to researching, scoring and performing music with silent film.
  • Author

Donald Binks

Re: Do you dislike all electronic music for silents?

PostSun Feb 15, 2015 6:38 pm

Even in recent times, otherwise highly competent accompanists sometimes just can't resist things like playing "Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer" when a gypsy camp is bringing in a deer to roast, or "There'll be a Hot Time in the Old Town Tonight"

Likewise "It Had to be You" has been heard played during a lovers' tryst and "I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles" when a voluptuous maiden is in a bathing scene... the temptations can't be resisted it appears.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I was in love with a beautiful blonde one time. She led me to drink. It's the only thing I'm thankful to her for."

Rodney

PostMon Feb 16, 2015 9:42 pm

Yes, and I've heard "Oh, What a Beautiful Morning" when Christine wakes up in the Phantom's underground boudoir. It was common to do this back in the day, though, so you can't exactly call it an a-historical practice. Nowadays they'd be using "Roar" and "Who Let the Dogs Out."

But these stories do remind us that it's not whether you use theater organ, piano, small ensemble, a full orchestra, or electronic instruments to that determines a good score; but the taste and talent of the people operating those instruments.
Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"

Donald Binks

PostMon Feb 16, 2015 10:54 pm

You know what you've done here, don't you? Yes, given me the idea to create a thread in the "Silents" section - The Most Inappropriate tunes to use as accompaniments! :D Thanks gentlemen! Could be fun.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I was in love with a beautiful blonde one time. She led me to drink. It's the only thing I'm thankful to her for."
Previous

Return to Music For Silents