Interesting Items- Ohio Theatre

Everything related to researching, scoring and performing music with silent film.
  • Author

tthacker

Interesting Items- Ohio Theatre

PostSun Jun 26, 2016 6:27 pm

Did a photo tour of the Ohio Theatre last week and thought these 2 items might be of some interest.

This is the conductor's podium, complete with a film speed indicator.

Although the tour guide didn't say anything about this, I would assume that it's a music stand.

The podium sits in the lounge area of the men's restroom and the stand in the one for the ladies.

wich2

Re: Interesting Items- Ohio Theatre

PostThu Jul 07, 2016 7:24 am

Beautiful old house.

Saw GONE WITH THE WIND there, several summers ago - during a small earthquake!

-Craig

Rodney

PostThu Jul 07, 2016 8:59 am

Nice pictures! That stand (besides being highly decorated to match the theater decor) looks like it probably has built-in lights, and a sort of cowl to keep the light from getting out and shining on the screen or bothering the audience. Thanks for posting.
Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"

Donald Binks

PostThu Jul 07, 2016 3:34 pm

Rodney wrote:Nice pictures! That stand (besides being highly decorated to match the theater decor) looks like it probably has built-in lights, and a sort of cowl to keep the light from getting out and shining on the screen or bothering the audience. Thanks for posting.

That's interesting you picking up how music stands once had light protectors on them. I can distinctly remember there being very little light going anywhere other than on the music. Today, by contrast there is far too much light escaping - and for an orchestra playing a picture, or accompanying a show - where one can see them - I find it completely distracting.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

Return to Music For Silents