Beggars of Life chord challenge

Everything related to researching, scoring and performing music with silent film.
  • Author

Rodney

Beggars of Life chord challenge

PostSat Nov 26, 2016 5:02 pm

This is just for fun.

What chords would you use for this tune?

This is a historical curiosity: the waltz "Beggars of Life" (by "Robinson", possibly J. Russell Robinson) on the published cue sheet for the 1928 film is a completely different song than the waltz "Beggars of Life" (by Karl Hajos) that was published for sheet music and orchestra, recorded, registered for copyright, and widely cross-marketed with the film.

The cue sheet gives only the melody, and it's not immediately obvious to me what chords would go with it (though there are some clues). I came up with what I thought was a logical set of chords, given the date of the composition. But I expect other composers and musicians would come up with something different. So, if you want to participate by contributing an idea, I'll publish them all in the future (say, around December 31 2016) and we can compare.

In the original, the chorus appears on page 1 for cue 1 and the verse on page 2 for cue 9, so I've rearranged them to be what I consider to be the linear order.

Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"

Jack Theakston

Re: Beggars of Life chord challenge

PostTue Dec 06, 2016 2:46 pm

I will bet the co-author of the piece was Al Dubin, who was working with Robinson at Berlin at the time, making this possibly the first film piece Dubin wrote lyrics for. Given this piece didn't even get a copyright registration, I'll bet it was a relabeled or trunk tune, or simply didn't get a distribution because of the other song.
J. Theakston
"You get more out of life when you go out to a movie!"

Michael Mortilla

PostTue Dec 27, 2016 1:15 am

Fun little tune, for sure. Here is one of many possibilities...

Michael Mortilla

MIDILifeCrisis

Rodney

PostSat Jan 07, 2017 8:31 am

Well, I ended up with two submissions other than my own: from Andreas Benz and Michael Mortilla. If you want to see and hear them, follow this link.
Rodney Sauer
www.mont-alto.com

FrankFay

PostSat Jan 07, 2017 9:56 am

It was recorded, maybe this would help:
Eric Stott

Rodney

PostSat Jan 07, 2017 10:16 am

RIght, Frank: but that's the fairly well-known Karl Hajos song (for which I've got several versions, including sheet music with a photo of Wallace Beery on the cover, and an arrangement for dance band). No problem with finding those chords.

The song in this "challenge" is a completely different song, by "Robinson," that (as far as I know) doesn't exist anywhere outside of the cue sheet, so we don't know what the chords were originally.

It sounds something like this. (These are the chords I came up with.)
Rodney Sauer
www.mont-alto.com

FrankFay

PostSat Jan 07, 2017 2:27 pm

Rodney wrote:RIght, Frank: but that's the fairly well-known Karl Hajos song (for which I've got several versions, including sheet music with a photo of Wallace Beery on the cover, and an arrangement for dance band). No problem with finding those chords.

The song in this "challenge" is a completely different song, by "Robinson," that (as far as I know) doesn't exist anywhere outside of the cue sheet, so we don't know what the chords were originally.

Sorry, I seldom notice details
Eric Stott

Return to Music For Silents