Music Accompaniment for Silents

Everything related to researching, scoring and performing music with silent film.
  • Author

Celluloid_Queen

Music Accompaniment for Silents

PostTue Feb 07, 2017 1:20 am

Hello all,

I am currently organizing a World War I film series that is going to coincide with an exhibit commemorating the centennial of the United States entering the war. I am screening a few silent films including Wings and The Big Parade and was wondering if anyone had any advice on organizing live music accompaniment? Or if you know of any people/groups in the Dallas-Fort Worth area that may be willing?

I am new to organizing something like this so I am open to any advice on that.

Thanks in advance!

Donald Binks

Re: Music Accompaniment for Silents

PostTue Feb 07, 2017 2:05 am

Where would you be exhibiting the pictures? If you are thinking of a cinema that has a theatre organ - I may be able to suggest the names of some organists for you.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I tawt I taw a Pooty Tat. I did! I did taw a Pooty Tat!

Celluloid_Queen

PostTue Feb 07, 2017 3:00 am

Unfortunately we are screening them at the public library where our exhibit is on display. It is not the most ideal of settings but it is a stadium style seated room that has a small stage where someone could set up. I believe there is already a piano in the room but I will have to check on that.

silentfilm

PostTue Feb 07, 2017 7:41 pm

Celluloid_Queen, it sounds like you need to join our Dallas area Classic Film group. We get together once a month to watch silent and classic sound films. We do 2-3 silent shows a year with the North Texas Theater Organ society, and also help out with the McKinney Classic Film Festival.

Robert Edwards is one of our members, and he is experienced with musical accompaniment. We could possibly find another accompanist. I will email you. I also have some Big Parade and Wings memorabilia for display.

Celluloid_Queen

PostWed Feb 08, 2017 12:34 am

Thanks so much for reaching out! I've returned your email with more details on the series. I appreciate the information.

oliversheppard93

PostWed Mar 01, 2017 5:17 am

Return to Music For Silents