Spending Time with Pola Negri

Everything related to researching, scoring and performing music with silent film.
  • Author

bobfells

Spending Time with Pola Negri

PostWed Dec 29, 2010 11:37 pm

In the key of C, that is. I have no idea how rare or common these two pieces of sheet music are, but I enjoyed figuring them out on my piano.

I thought I read that SPANISH DANCER is being restored to close to its full length but that may just be wishful thinking. At any rate, the theme song is a reasonably nice tango with lyrics by Larry Hart before he teamed with Richard Rogers.

This song is rather strange and I was tempted to "fix" some notes especially at the finale. But I played it "as is"and wondered how anybody thought it would become popular. According to silentera.com THE SECRET HOUR's survival status is unknown. It was also called BEGGARS OF LIFE, which at least explains the song.

Brooksie

PostMon Jan 03, 2011 6:51 pm

I have the first piece in the same edition as yours, but I don't recall playing it. If it has ukulele chords, I'll usually have a go at those first to get the feel of it, but (from memory) this one does not have them. No doubt a uke would not do a tango/fox trot justice in any case!

Gagman 66

PostTue Jan 04, 2011 11:41 pm

Bob,

No, you are right. I read the same thing about THE SPANISH DANCER being restored someplace. Maybe by the same group in the Nederlands that are finishing up work on Constance Talmadge EAST IS WEST?

I've seen some intriguing stills from THE SECRET HOUR. How could hyou have two different films called BEGGARS OF LIFE from the same studio in about a years time? Can't figure that one out?

Rodney

PostWed Jan 05, 2011 10:18 am

Gagman 66 wrote:Bob,

No, you are right. I read the same thing about THE SPANISH DANCER being restored someplace. Maybe by the same group in the Nederlands that are finishing up work on Constance Talmadge EAST IS WEST?

I've seen some intriguing stills from THE SECRET HOUR. How could hyou have two different films called BEGGARS OF LIFE from the same studio in about a years time? Can't figure that one out?

There was a discussion here a while back concerning the fact that both The Spanish Dancer and Mary Pickford's La Rosita were based on the same story. They would make an interesting double feature.

I have a piece called Mont Martre that's a very pretty foxtrot, dedicated to Pola Negri but not (as far as I can tell) intended for any particular film. It's an orchestration published for commercial use and does not have a pretty cover sheet, as the pieces posted above do.
Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"

salus

PostWed Jan 05, 2011 3:57 pm

What i liked about Negri is that she still played the star role up till the end. Was she considered a star of San Antonio society during her last 25 years after her friend died who left her her fortune. I guess she could have then packed up left San Antonio moved to New York or LA and went to all the showbiz functions. But i guess she knew being a big fish in a small pond (San Antonio) was better than being a small fish in the larger ponds of New York or LA where they would have tired of her.

greta de groat

PostWed Jan 05, 2011 11:38 pm

Some of her stuff ended up in one of the museums in San Antonio.

greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

Elif

PostMon Jun 06, 2011 1:30 pm

Gagman 66 wrote:Bob,

I saw this thread by coincidence on the internet, apparently I had missed it a couple of months ago. But yes, I can confirm that we are currently working on a full reconstruction of SPANISH DANCER in Amsterdam, at EYE Film Instituut Nederland. The first screening is being planned for around March-April 2012! We would appreciate if you would share your documents related to the musical score for this film! :D

bobfells

PostMon Jun 06, 2011 1:58 pm

Quote:
We would appreciate if you would share your documents related to the musical score for this film!

I can send you a scan of the sheet music pictured above. Please PM me. Also, the sheet music states that the song is "dedicated to Pola Negri" which suggests that it might not necessary have been used in the film score.

silentfilm

PostMon Jun 06, 2011 2:18 pm

I've got this Pola Negri sheet music.

N_Phay

PostTue Jul 12, 2011 2:54 am

Pola looked great in "The Secret Hour":

Return to Music For Silents