THE SINGING FOOL (1928) Sing Along

Everything related to researching, scoring and performing music with silent film.
  • Author

bobfells

THE SINGING FOOL (1928) Sing Along

PostTue Feb 08, 2011 10:58 pm

I hope that part-talkies count in this section. The Jolson song, "Sonny Boy," is said to be the first pop record to sell a million copies, eventually selling about three million. Legend says the song was written as a joke by DeSylva, Brown & Henderson to get back at Al who was pestering them about writing a "kid song" for his new film. Looks like everybody laughed all the way to the bank. First a magazine cover:

I like these SINGING FOOL slides more for the colorized images of Al and Josephine Dunn - I already know the lyrics to song:
From THE SINGING FOOL (1928)
That's Edward Martindel on the right, who was quite memorable in Constance Talmadge's THE DUCHESS FROM BUFFALO (1926)

bobfells

PostSun Feb 27, 2011 8:53 pm

I should have mentioned that the slides are numbered. After the title slide, the next two slides are missing and I presume they cover the introduction, "Climb up on my knee, sonny boy...." What I found odd is that the chorus of the song is repeated in its entirety with a second duplicate sets of slides.

Return to Music For Silents