Kempinski copyright claimant?

Everything related to researching, scoring and performing music with silent film.
  • Author

Jack Theakston

Kempinski copyright claimant?

PostSat Jun 04, 2011 3:32 pm

Does anyone know if there is a current copyright claimant for ABC Photoplay Music or Leo Kempinski? His later renewals are though Josephine Kempinski, who I think was his widow. Are these orphan works now?
J. Theakston
"You get more out of life when you go out to a movie!"

ben7778

PostSat Jun 04, 2011 5:09 pm

Hope this helps...

Found Leo Kempinski on ASCAP, with a return for a "A B C DRAMATIC SET NO 2O". The Publisher is listed as:
PHOTO PLAY MUSIC CO INC
523 W FRANKLIN ST
SLATINGTON, PA, 18080

Is this it?

There is no claimant (at least an individual) listed, but if ASCAP is still claiming it, chances are, it is still under some sort of copyright. I check the ASCAP, BMI and SESAC databases a bit for older stuff that may or may not be under copyright and if it predates 1925, it rarely turns up in searches. Not familiar with this Kempinski fellow, so I don't know the dates of his works (early 20's?).

I did find this (in relation to the Photo Play music company (http://www.faqs.org/copyright/piano-par ... specially/) --looks like nothing's been touched in over 25 years.

You could try to talk to the Harry Fox Agency, but I have a feeling that the work is obscure enough that it wouldn't be an issue to use it and that if there are any claimants, it wouldn't be worth it for them to be litigious about it.

I take it you're compiling a score?

Jack Theakston

PostSat Jun 04, 2011 5:17 pm

Doing some musicological research.

That's a lead, thanks!
J. Theakston
"You get more out of life when you go out to a movie!"

Return to Music For Silents