Newtown, PA: MY BEST GIRL (1927)

Announcements of upcoming theatrical silent film exhibitions.
  • Author

silentfilm

Newtown, PA: MY BEST GIRL (1927)

PostThu Jan 12, 2017 9:40 pm

http://patch.com/pennsylvania/newtown-pa/newtown-theatre-screen-classic-film-live-pianist

Newtown Theatre to Screen Classic Film With Live Pianist
The Feb. 12 screening of 'My Best Girl' will feature a live piano score by professional silent film accompanist Bernie Anderson Jr.
By Kara Seymour (Patch National Staff) - January 12, 2017 1:05 pm ET

Take a step back in time and enjoy a classic silent film at The Newtown Theatre next month. On February 12, the local theater will screen the 1927 silent film “My Best Girl” starring Mary Pickford, who was known in the early 20th century as “America’s Sweetheart.”

The film will feature a live piano score by professional silent film accompanist Bernie Anderson Jr.

Tickets for the 7 p.m. show are $10 for general admission and will be available at the door. The theatre is located at 120 N. State St. in Newtown Borough.

This movie is part of the theatre’s 2017 Silent Film Series, which is supported by Newtown attorney Alice Hart Hughes, Esq.

According to the information provided by the theater, prior to the mid-1920s, all movies were silent and dialogue was transmitted through mute gesture, mime and title cards, which contained a written indication of the plot or key dialogue. "For added effect, silent films were commonly accompanied by musicians – often pianists – who provided a live score in the movie house. The Newtown Theatre, which showed its first film in 1906, was one of these places," an event announcement said.

For more information about The Newtown Theatre, visit [url]TheNewtownTheatre.com[/url].

Return to Silent Screenings