San Francisco Silent Film Festival Recaps 2017

Announcements of upcoming theatrical silent film exhibitions.
  • Author

rudyfan

San Francisco Silent Film Festival Recaps 2017

PostWed Jun 07, 2017 12:08 am

It was, as always, great to see people at the festival. I know I missed seeing some people this year, never enough time for socializing if you want to watch movies.

Here is my part 1 recap, more to come!

http://strictly-vintage-hollywood.blogspot.com/2017/06/the-san-francisco-silent-film-festival.html

Looking forward to reading the opinions of others as I missed some films, as usual!

missdupont

Re: San Francisco Silent Film Festival Recaps 2017

PostWed Jun 07, 2017 9:17 am

Thanks for the one day recap Donna. Here is my review of the entire Festival, which featured themes of exploration, father/daughter relationships, and girl power.
https://ladailymirror.com/2017/06/07/ho ... the-globe/

Bob Furem

PostWed Jun 07, 2017 12:00 pm

I have little to add to the excellent recaps I have already read except...
I thought "A Page of Madness" was marvelous, truly a highlight of the festival. It was sort of the visual equivalent of a Velvet Underground record...raw, tender, fast and slow...all at the same time. I was chatting later with Roger Miller of the Alloy Orchestra later (great musical accompaniment, by the way) and we were musing upon whether our backgrounds in punk rock (his FAR more successful than my own...he was in Mission Of Burma) made us more likely to appreciate the freewheeling image association that made this film such a moving experience. Who knows? I think that sometimes the less you try to follow a narrative the more sense it makes...just go with it. Anyway, I just loved this film and have ordered the blu-ray from Flicker Alley.

Other highlights for me were Get Your Man with Clara, the Informer, and Outside the Law. The Freshman (how many times have I seen it?) made me feel like I was watching it for the first time. I agree with Miss Dupont about Filibus and have seen better Weber than Dumb Girl, though it was stunning visually. Such a wide variety of films and further proof of the depth and breadth of an art form we all love. We are lucky people to appreciate silent film.

rudyfan

PostWed Jun 07, 2017 1:52 pm

Here is Part 2 of the recap.

http://strictly-vintage-hollywood.blogspot.com/2017/06/the-san-francisco-silent-film-festival_7.html

Unlike Bob and Miss Dupont, I loved Filibus. ymmv! ;-)

Brooksie

PostWed Jun 07, 2017 4:22 pm

Mine are at http://brooksiescollection.tumblr.com/tagged/sfsff2017/chrono. My favourites of the festival were Get Your Man (1927), Lubitsch's The Doll (1919), Outside The Law (1920) and the Amazing Tales from the Archive programme, but really, there wasn't a lemon in the entire bunch. A great line-up and a great weekend. Organising an official Nitrateville get-together was a bridge too far (the meal breaks were as short and hectic as always), but most of us did at least get to say hello to one another, and we were certainly well represented.

Rodney

San Francisco Silent Film Festival

PostWed Jun 07, 2017 5:20 pm

A number of attendees have started posting their impressions and reviews of the festival. An excellent place to start is at rudyfan's "Strictly Vintage Hollywood."

At the end she provides links to several other good and detailed reviews.
Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"

Brooksie

PostThu Jun 08, 2017 11:04 am

rudyfan wrote:Unlike Bob and Miss Dupont, I loved Filibus. ymmv! ;-)

I thought it was quite fun, but as I said in my recap, it's always so hard to judge a serial by watching the whole thing rather than in the smaller segments the filmmaker intended. I'd love to know more about its inception, and I thought Cristina Ruspoli made a pretty cool anti-heroine.

Return to Silent Screenings