MILWAUKEE FILM FESTIVAL: THE LOST WORLD

Announcements of upcoming theatrical silent film exhibitions.
  • Author

linquist

MILWAUKEE FILM FESTIVAL: THE LOST WORLD

PostWed Sep 27, 2017 6:07 am

THE LOST WORLD will be playing at the Milwaukee Film Festival next Tuesday, on October 3.

silentfilm

Re: MILWAUKEE FILM FESTIVAL: THE LOST WORLD

PostWed Sep 27, 2017 11:04 am

https://mkefilm.org/the-lost-world/

The Lost World

Director: Harry O. Hoyt
Film Summary

Spotlight Presentations | 1:33 | 1925 | USA
Tuesday
October
Oriental Theatre Screen 1

7:00pm
Buy Tickets

Alloy Orchestra returns to the historic Oriental Theatre, and this time things are going to get prehistoric! This silent adaptation of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's classic tale of a ragtag crew in search of a dinosaur-filled land untouched by time is a rip-roaring adventure that's fun for the whole family. Combine Willis O'Brien's pioneering stop-motion effects (eight years before his work on King Kong!) with the vibrant electric accompaniment only Alloy Orchestra can provide and you have the recipe for an unforgettable night at the movies.

Director Harry O. Hoyt
Cast Bessie Love, Lloyd Hughes, Lewis Stone, Wallace Beery, Arthur Hoyt, Bull Montana
Screenwriter Marion Fairfax
Cinematographer Arthur Edeson

linquist

Re: MILWAUKEE FILM FESTIVAL: THE LOST WORLD

PostWed Oct 04, 2017 5:49 am

I heard a bit of news at the Milwaukee Film Festival. The festival group is buying the Oriental Theater.
The festival is close to a decade old now. It started out small but had built in reputation. The two anchor theaters for the festival has been the Oriental and the Downer theaters. The Oriental is an atmospheric dating from 1928, I believe. In the thirty some years I've lived in Milwaukee, the Oriental has been an "art house" theater, running classics, imports and indies. I saw PANDORA'S BOX there many, many years ago. The classics have disappeared from the list but it has continued with imports and indies to this day. The rumor is that the Milwaukee Film Festival would like to have a theater comparable to the Music Box in Chicago. It already has a beautiful Wurlitzer organ. It would be wonderful to see this aging theater to be spiffed up and maybe they'll even put in a 70mm screen like the rumor suggests.
The Downer is a smaller theater but has shown films continually since 1915. It was a Goldwyn programmer theater during WWI and it has continually played imports and indies since the end of WWII.
The film festival has also used a number of other older theaters like the Fox Bay in its festival season. This year, the newly restored Avalon, another atmospheric from the late 1920s, has been added to the list of festival theaters. As far as I know, the festival people don't own the Avalon, but I could be wrong.
The festival was once small but it is gaining in strength and is currently quite popular. 297 films are being showing this year including a documentary on a controversial local shooting of a police officer. It is the most highly anticipated of the films. The festival organizers are also proposing a plan to create a "film industry" incubator in town.

Return to Silent Screenings