Cinevent - Columbus, Oh. Film Schedule Announced

Announcements of upcoming theatrical silent film exhibitions.
  • Author

J.S.Watson

Cinevent - Columbus, Oh. Film Schedule Announced

PostMon Mar 19, 2018 5:21 pm

Link to event schedule:

http://www.cinevent.com/EventSchedule.html

This is the 50th year of Cinevent in Columbus. Leonard Maltin will be there this year, introducing a few films. As always, silents will be screened with live piano accompaniment.

I have been enjoying this festival for the past 5 years and look forward to it pretty much all year long. It's a great time. I can recommend the travel if you're anywhere within 500 or so miles of Columbus. Of course that's an arbitrary number, but a great time is to be had there!

If you've looked over the list of films, are there any you're especially interested in (even if you won't be in attendance)?
"Would you like to come with me to a talkie to-night?"

silentfilm

Re: Cinevent - Columbus, Oh. Film Schedule Announced

PostMon Mar 19, 2018 9:03 pm

The Maze and Gog in 3-D!

maliejandra

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 6:00 am

I'm on the committee this year so I actually got some input in the schedule, and one I suggested was the silent Our Gang shorts program so I am looking forward to seeing that and gauging the reaction. I also suggested The Maze for the Wexner Center show because I saw Bob's post about it here on Nitrateville and it looked so interesting. I am thrilled that Leonard Maltin will be our guest and I think his presence will go over well with attendees. By the time Cinevent rolls around I will be almost 8 months pregnant so I imagine I'll spend more time sitting in the screening room than usual, but that's okay because there are a lot of great movies in the lineup.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 8:42 am

I am booked for it, after not going for two years for various family reasons. Looking forward to seeing folks there.
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

maliejandra

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 5:51 am

Martin Grams put a nice write-up about the show on his blog. He's a popular vendor each year.
http://martingrams.blogspot.com/

Marr&Colton

PostSun May 06, 2018 6:53 am

After seeing the high single day admission prices, congested downtown location and relatively few dealers registered in the dealers room, I'm not going to Cinevent this year.

I yearn for the good old days of Cinevent in nice suburban hotels with reasonable admission price, adjacent free parking and large number of dealers.

I attended Cinevent downtown in last couple years and had to pay $16 for one day parking, $25 single day admission all to just buy a few items and look over about 35 dealer's wares.

I hope they can get back to suburban Columbus location and get the rates way down for both attendees and dealers--I have fond memories of Cinevents past.

maliejandra

PostMon May 14, 2018 5:52 am

Its your loss. It's going to be a great show this year, extra special since it is the 50th. I'm excited that Leonard Maltin will be there, and I hope he gives his opinion of the show either on his website, podcast, or Facebook videos. It'll be nice to hear how the show compares to the early years when he used to be a vendor.

rodney4130

PostMon May 14, 2018 7:51 am

Yeah, I find this kind of negativity disheartening. Downtown Columbus is extraordinarily easy to navigate, and parking is quite reasonable (I parked a block away from the hotel and only paid $5).

The hotel is quite nice. Let's be fair, the Ramada that was used for many years was NOT a nice suburban hotel, especially in the later years, nor was the area pleasant. Being downtown means good restaurants that are within walkable distance from the hotel.

Don't forget that a survey was sent to attendees after the first Downtown event. Apparently, most attendees have no issue supporting the event in the Downtown location.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostMon May 14, 2018 10:02 am

It's Memorial Day weekend, you can park for free all over the downtown area, no one is there.
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

Return to Silent Screenings