The full Napoleon to be screened in the US at last.....

Announcements of upcoming theatrical silent film exhibitions.
  • Author

missdupont

Re: The full Napoleon to be screened in the US at last.....

PostThu Feb 09, 2012 4:37 pm

I just received the following email from the SFSFF, as I'm sure many others on the board have. It states that the film will not travel, will not air on TCM, and will not be released on DVD:
http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com ... xRig%3D%3D

goalieboy82

PostThu Feb 09, 2012 7:48 pm

its to bad it wont be on the east coast. it would have cost me an arm and a leg just getting out there and the money that i would have to spend once i am out there. from what the FAQ about the showing says, it wont be on dvd but from what i see, the film 1900 is on dvd and its 5 hours long:
http://www.amazon.com/1900-Two-Disc-Col ... 833&sr=1-4
i know they would have to record the music but there must be going on that keeps it from being on dvd. i still say it will be on dvd within the next 5 years.

greta de groat

PostFri Feb 10, 2012 11:11 am

Just a heads up--the Niles Essanay Silent Film Museum is planning some sort of program on April 1. I don't know what it's going to be yet but i'll post it when i get the program. So for folks traveling from out of town, you might be able to take in two silent film programs that weekend.

greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

Cyndi

PostWed Feb 15, 2012 1:57 pm

The Stanford Theatre in Palo Alto will also be screening silents that week - March 30, Beau Geste, and April 6, Robin Hood. www.stanfordtheatre.org

Cyndi

jheez

PostThu Feb 16, 2012 6:10 pm

I wonder if a DVD/blu-ray release would be possible by using kickstarter (www.kickstarter.com) or a similar method to gain funding. Prizes could be set up for folks that donate large sums of money and DVD/blu-rays could be given to those that donate ~$50-60.

ratkins

PostThu Feb 16, 2012 6:55 pm

Is anyone from here going to the first saturday showing? I would love to meet some of you and chat maybe the night before or after the film.

Ron

goalieboy82

PostMon Feb 20, 2012 2:48 pm

i just watch the last 20 minutes (the 3 screen parts) of the 4 hour FFC verison of napoleon. i hope the full verison will be screened on the east coast (NYC or DC) within the next few years so i can see it.

Bob Furem

PostMon Feb 20, 2012 11:03 pm

ratkins wrote:Is anyone from here going to the first saturday showing? I would love to meet some of you and chat maybe the night before or after the film.

Ron

Ron, I posted a similar invite recently. I'm arriving in Oakland, from Chicago, the night before the first Sat. showing and would love to get together with one or more of us.

Rodney

PostTue Feb 21, 2012 7:19 am

goalieboy82 wrote:i just watch the last 20 minutes (the 3 screen parts) of the 4 hour FFC verison of napoleon. i hope the full verison will be screened on the east coast (NYC or DC) within the next few years so i can see it.

Sorry, but it won't, as has been mentioned here dozens of times. There's no adequate venue or interested sponsor.
Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"

ratkins

PostTue Feb 21, 2012 11:29 pm

Bob Furem wrote:
ratkins wrote:Is anyone from here going to the first saturday showing? I would love to meet some of you and chat maybe the night before or after the film.

Ron

Ron, I posted a similar invite recently. I'm arriving in Oakland, from Chicago, the night before the first Sat. showing and would love to get together with one or more of us.

Bob, that sounds great. I'm coming up from LA on Friday, not sure yet what time we'll get in. As we get closer and I have more concrete info, I'll either reply or pm you so we can at least meet at the show. Any other Nitravevillains going to be there?

Ron

Bob Furem

PostWed Feb 22, 2012 1:29 pm

Ron,

I haven't heard of anyone else attending the same day we are. Hopefully, there will be. I think some folks are going the second weekend. Anyway, I look forward to meeting you. Let's stay in touch as it gets closer. I believe you can contact me through my user profile. If you do so, I'll be glad to give you my e-mail address so we don't have to clutter this esteemed website with personal data. Cheers!

Bob

Frederica

PostWed Feb 22, 2012 2:05 pm

Bob Furem wrote:Ron,

I haven't heard of anyone else attending the same day we are. Hopefully, there will be. I think some folks are going the second weekend. Anyway, I look forward to meeting you. Let's stay in touch as it gets closer. I believe you can contact me through my user profile. If you do so, I'll be glad to give you my e-mail address so we don't have to clutter this esteemed website with personal data. Cheers!

Bob

I (and several other N-Villains) will be attending on the 31st.
Fred
"Screw the men. I've got the horse."
Helen B. (Penny) Chenery
http://www.nitanaldi.com"
http://www.facebook.com/NitaNaldiSilentVamp"

3rdManTheme

PostFri Feb 24, 2012 1:42 pm

The great thing about Napoleon & other silent films is there was no limit to the ambitions of filmakers back then. the film industry was independent world wide. After 1930 it would be impossible to make movies as freely so a brief window of cinematic freedom was opened & it would be shut forever. Brownlow could be the most important man in movies for the past 70 years. :wink:

ratkins

PostFri Feb 24, 2012 2:01 pm

3rdManTheme wrote:The great thing about Napoleon & other silent films is there was no limit to the ambitions of filmakers back then. the film industry was independent world wide. After 1930 it would be impossible to make movies as freely so a brief window of cinematic freedom was opened & it would be shut forever. Brownlow could be the most important man in movies for the past 70 years. :wink:

Not quite sure I agree with that. The studio system was going strong by the early to mid 1920's and neither did the other large studios. I'm not sure the film industry was ever independent in the sense that you're referring to. The big names who had there own studios like Chaplin, Fairbanks, and Griffith pre-1923 would probably fall into that category but Napoleon certainly was not which is why it was cut down so many times. Like today, the filmmakers in the silent era had to find a way around studio interference but also the studios were more lenient in some cases essentially gambling on an idea.

Ron

Lzcutter

PostFri Feb 24, 2012 7:55 pm

I haven't heard of anyone else attending the same day we are

I'm attending the Saturday 24th screening along with a couple of film buffs. Would love to meet up for a drink on Friday night.

Bob Furem

PostSat Feb 25, 2012 7:35 am

Good news Lzcutter. I'm staying about 6 blocks from the theater. Perhaps we can find a watering hole convenient to all Nitratevillains attending the 24th and meet up the night before. Does anyone know Oakland? I've got a friend who lives there, though I'm not sure if he is attending. Perhaps he can recommend a place? Let's stay in touch.

alcibiades

PostTue Feb 28, 2012 10:31 am

I'll be in the balcony the 31st! Very thrilling indeed.

greta de groat

PostTue Feb 28, 2012 5:19 pm

greta de groat wrote:Just a heads up--the Niles Essanay Silent Film Museum is planning some sort of program on April 1. I don't know what it's going to be yet but i'll post it when i get the program. So for folks traveling from out of town, you might be able to take in two silent film programs that weekend.

greta

Ok, i finally got the information on this, it's posted here:

http://www.nilesfilmmuseum.org/april-1st-2012-1.htm

It is mostly a historical event (looks like the screening will be films *about* Essanay rather than Essanay films). If you've got a western costume in your closet, here's a chance to bring it out. I don't suppose any of you are bringing your kids out for Napoleon, but this looks like a kid-friendly event.

greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

Jeff Rapsis

PostFri Mar 02, 2012 5:18 pm

Add me to the list. Travelling cross-country from New Hampshire to attend the final screening on Sunday, April 1. Really will be a once-in-a-generation silent film event, so worth the trip. Anyone else attending that day, let me know and we can exchange superlatives and expressions of overwhelmedness while there.

And here's a Kevin Brownlow side note: While in London a couple of weeks ago, I stopped by the Photoplay office and got to speak briefly with Mr. Brownlow himself. He wasn't supposed to be there, and I was just popping in to meet with his assistant, Sophie Djian, who's working with me on possibly renting Photoplay 35mm prints for future screenings in the Boston area.

But there he was, and so I had the honor of exchanging a few words with the person I regard as most responsible for the preservation and enduring popularity of silent film. For those who crave more detail, I posted an account of our meeting and a tour of the Photoplay office and film "vaults" at http://www.jeffrapsis.com

See you in San Francisco!
Jeff Rapsis
www.jeffrapsis.com

3rdManTheme

PostSat Mar 03, 2012 3:35 pm

ratkins wrote:
Not quite sure I agree with that. The studio system was going strong by the early to mid 1920's and neither did the other large studios. I'm not sure the film industry was ever independent in the sense that you're referring to. The big names who had there own studios like Chaplin, Fairbanks, and Griffith pre-1923 would probably fall into that category but Napoleon certainly was not which is why it was cut down so many times. Like today, the filmmakers in the silent era had to find a way around studio interference but also the studios were more lenient in some cases essentially gambling on an idea.

Ron

By restoring Napoleon, Brownlow proved that silent movies can be great & significant. Before him, Silent movies were a source of ridicule. Alot of artists made 3 hour + movies before 1930. Very few after 1930. The studio system as we know it was not consolidated before 1930. I don't expect 100% agreement. Movies became standardized & IMO dull after 1930. With exceptions of course. :)

Christopher Jacobs

PostTue Mar 06, 2012 3:58 pm

3rdManTheme wrote:
ratkins wrote:

Ron

By restoring Napoleon, Brownlow proved that silent movies can be great & significant. Before him, Silent movies were a source of ridicule. Alot of artists made 3 hour + movies before 1930. Very few after 1930. The studio system as we know it was not consolidated before 1930. I don't expect 100% agreement. Movies became standardized & IMO dull after 1930. With exceptions of course. :)

This should really be on its own separate thread (and could make quite an interesting one). The more silents I've seen, the more I've felt that movies were becoming pretty heavily studio-controlled and standardized by 1920, if not a bit before, and certainly after 1922. The widest variety of subject material and styles to me seems to be the 1914-1917 era. By 1930 they had already been a slick, sandardized craft and huge industry for quite some time.

Frederica

PostTue Mar 06, 2012 4:06 pm

3rdManTheme wrote:By restoring Napoleon, Brownlow proved that silent movies can be great & significant. Before him, Silent movies were a source of ridicule. Alot of artists made 3 hour + movies before 1930. Very few after 1930. The studio system as we know it was not consolidated before 1930. I don't expect 100% agreement.

Oh good, then you won't be surprised.
Fred
Helen B. (Penny) Chenery

monks19

PostWed Mar 07, 2012 8:27 am

Shame I can't attend it at all. As a full time college student, it's totaly impossible for me to go there because I live near Montreal, I have classes to attent during the presentation scheduled days and also I don't have the money for it, unfortunately.

So, I do hope it will get an official release on dvd/blu ray, even if it's not in the US. What will it take for that to come true ???

goalieboy82

PostWed Mar 07, 2012 1:49 pm

So, I do hope it will get an official release on dvd/blu ray, even if it's not in the US. What will it take for that to come true ???

i know i would get the dvd if it was release in the uk (i have a dvd player that can play pal, i got it so i could play the first new season of dr who when i came out in the uk, 6 months before the us.)

Frederica

PostWed Mar 07, 2012 3:48 pm

monks19 wrote:Shame I can't attend it at all. As a full time college student, it's totaly impossible for me to go there because I live near Montreal, I have classes to attent during the presentation scheduled days and also I don't have the money for it, unfortunately.

Money.
Fred
Helen B. (Penny) Chenery

Michael O'Regan

PostThu Mar 08, 2012 5:55 am

Jeff Rapsis wrote:
And here's a Kevin Brownlow side note: While in London a couple of weeks ago, I stopped by the Photoplay office and got to speak briefly with Mr. Brownlow himself. He wasn't supposed to be there, and I was just popping in to meet with his assistant, Sophie Djian, who's working with me on possibly renting Photoplay 35mm prints for future screenings in the Boston area.

But there he was, and so I had the honor of exchanging a few words with the person I regard as most responsible for the preservation and enduring popularity of silent film. For those who crave more detail, I posted an account of our meeting and a tour of the Photoplay office and film "vaults" at http://www.jeffrapsis.com

Jeff,
Really enjoyed reading your blog on the KB meeting. You're a lucky man to have gotten a look inside the offices and the vault. Wonderful.
:)

Jeff Rapsis

PostThu Mar 08, 2012 7:34 am

Hi! Thanks for the comment on the Kevin Brownlow post! Not to make too much of this, but it really was an honor to meet a man whose work I've admired since I was a teenager. After the visit, I spent the rest of the day walking around in a daze.

Newer blog material has pushed the Brownlow post down a bit, so here's a more direct link if anyone else is interested:

http://www.silentfilmlivemusic.blogspot.com/2012/02/in-which-i-meet-mr-kevin-brownlow.html

See you in San Francisco!
Jeff Rapsis
www.jeffrapsis.com

SilentsPlease

PostThu Mar 08, 2012 2:34 pm

Anyone can advise me on the best seats for film viewing at the Paramount Theater? Balcony seats seem more expensive than front row seats. But for film viewing, could the seats closer to the screen be more advantageous? Also, anyone know how big the screen(s) will be? The three-panel screen must take up a lot of room on the stage. Does that mean the single screen, which the majority of the film will use, will not be that big?

Claus H.

PostSun Mar 11, 2012 4:43 pm

Whew, finally managed to get logged back on,

I'll be arriving on the 23rd in the afternoon, staying at the Whitcomb in SF, and I'll be at the screening on the 25th. Saturday I am going to Alcatraz in the morning, but beyond some other sightseeing plans for Saturday, Friday evening and Saturday evening are open for socializing. I realize some of you already know each other, so I am just throwing the idea out there.

Claus H.
Claus.

Mitch Farish

PostWed Mar 14, 2012 2:11 pm

With regard to a possible future blu ray release of Gance's Napoleon, this tidbit showed up in Criterion's newsletter for March 2012:

Napoleon Restored!

We’ve always wanted to release a definitive edition of Abel Gance’s silent masterpiece Napoleon. And we hope to one day, but it’s a project of enormous complexity. American audiences will finally have a chance to see the epic film in its fullest form this month at the Paramount Theatre in Oakland, California. Restorer extraordinaire Kevin Brownlow has had a lifelong passion for Napoleon, hours of which were cut after its 1927 premiere. He’s been gradually reconstructing it for decades. The first unveiling in the U.S. of the results of his Herculean effort took place at the Telluride Film Festival in 1979. In the ensuing years, Brownlow unearthed and added another hour-plus of footage. The screenings at the Paramount—on March 24, 25, and 31 and April 1—will be of the most complete version ever seen in the U.S., at five and a half hours, and will feature the premiere live performance in this country of composer Carl Davis’s original score. Get your tickets now for this extraordinary event, as no screenings are planned for any other American city.
PreviousNext

Return to Silent Screenings