"Utopia" aka. Atoll K (1951) Provincetown, MA

Announcements of upcoming theatrical sound film exhibitions.
  • Author

Brad Moore

"Utopia" aka. Atoll K (1951) Provincetown, MA

PostMon Jan 25, 2016 11:14 am

Hey All,

This Thursday January 28th, I will be showing a nice super 8 Niles print of Laurel and Hardy's last feature "Utopia" (1951), as it was known with its U.S. release. It was originally released as a French/ Italian film under the title Atoll K. With their best years behind them, this is certainly not at their best, but they do give it their all under the various different circumstances that plagued this film. With that said, there are still some very funny moments regardless, and worth seeing inspite of it all.

I will also be showing "Towed In A Hole" (1932) a far better example of their work, which also involves their dealings with a boat for better or for worse. This is a super 8 Blackhawk print. All films in the series are on Reel Film, Thursday evenings through March at 7:30PM at The WOMR Davis Space in The Schoolhouse 494 Commercial St. in Provincetown, MA. There will be a $5 dollar suggested donation to help community supported radio WOMR during the off season. Free Popcorn will be provided by The Provincetown Inn, and Beer, Wine, and Soda will be available for donation too

Joe Migliore

Re: "Utopia" aka. Atoll K (1951) Provincetown, MA

PostTue Feb 02, 2016 3:16 pm

Don't apologize for the film; it's better than GREAT GUNS. Here's a link to Chris Seguin's recent appraisal of the film:

http://thescribefiles.blogspot.ca/2016/ ... -nice.html" target="_blank

Was there a good turnout?

Silas

Re: "Utopia" aka. Atoll K (1951) Provincetown, MA

PostFri May 13, 2016 5:21 pm

I agree that it's better than Great Guns.

When you look past the poor health of L&H and bad filming conditions, I think the uncut Atoll K is better and more imaginative than most of the Fox films, which had very poor scripts with those annoying 1940s gangsters. The two MGMs were slightly better.

Return to Talkie Screenings