Early Technicolor Musicals presentation at AFI Silver 7/30

Announcements of upcoming theatrical sound film exhibitions.
  • Author

David Pierce

Early Technicolor Musicals presentation at AFI Silver 7/30

PostThu Jul 21, 2016 8:58 pm

As part of the AFI Silver's tribute to films produced in Technicolor, I'll be giving a presentation based on research for the book, "The Dawn of Technicolor: 1915-1930," about early Technicolor musicals. In addition to rare photographs, we'll be showing digital transfers from nitrate prints at the BFI and Warner Bros. I guarantee you've never seen before. This is the same talk that my co-author, James Layton, and I premiered at the TCM festival in Los Angeles last year.

Wait, wait, there's more! The rousing 90 minute lecture and clip show, will be followed by a 35mm screening of everyone's favorite musical in two-color Technicolor - FOLLOW THRU (1930). Even better - admission for the entire program is free.

Join us for the show at the AFI Silver Theater in Bethesda, Maryland, on Saturday July 30 at 3:30pm.

David Pierce
co-author "The Dawn of Technicolor: 1915-1930" (with James Layton)
co-author "King of Jazz: Paul Whiteman's Technicolor Revue" (with James Layton) published later this year
Last edited by David Pierce on Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

David Alp

Re: Early Technicolor Musicals presentation at AFI Silver 7/

PostWed Jul 27, 2016 6:42 pm

David Pierce wrote:In addition to rare photographs, we'll be showing digital transfers from nitrate prints at the BFI and Warner Bros. I guarantee you've never seen before.

Oh wow! When are you coming to the BFI? Or was that a typo? (he asks very nervously)... And are you also bringing over "Follow Thru" the the BFI as per your Maryland presentation? When will this be?

David Pierce

PostWed Jul 27, 2016 8:13 pm

Sorry it wasn't clear. The nitrate prints are held by the BFI and Warner Bros., and they were kind enough to make digital transfers for our presentations.

We would love to give this presentation at the BFI in the future, but we're focused on "King of Jazz: Paul Whiteman's Technicolor Revue" for the remainder of this year.

David Pierce

David Alp wrote:
David Pierce wrote:In addition to rare photographs, we'll be showing digital transfers from nitrate prints at the BFI and Warner Bros. I guarantee you've never seen before.

Oh wow! When are you coming to the BFI? Or was that a typo? (he asks very nervously)... And are you also bringing over "Follow Thru" the the BFI as per your Maryland presentation? When will this be?

FrankFay

PostTue Aug 16, 2016 4:38 pm

I've just seen the "King of Jazz" restoration at the Rome Capitol, and can anyone explain why three blackout sketches are missing?

1. The back of the horse sketch
2. the fake minister sketch
3. the "We don't plan to have any children" sketch.
Eric Stott

Richard Finegan

King of Jazz question

PostTue Aug 16, 2016 11:21 pm

FrankFay wrote:I've just seen the "King of Jazz" restoration at the Rome Capitol, and can anyone explain why three blackout sketches are missing?

The intention of this new restoration was to recreate the original 1930 version. The sketches you mentioned (although filmed in 1930) were not in the 1930 version, but were added for the 1933 reissue. So, to authentically recreate the 1930 version, those sketches were left out of this new restoration.

Christopher Jacobs

Re: King of Jazz question

PostTue Aug 16, 2016 11:50 pm

Richard Finegan wrote:
FrankFay wrote:I've just seen the "King of Jazz" restoration at the Rome Capitol, and can anyone explain why three blackout sketches are missing?

The intention of this new restoration was to recreate the original 1930 version. The sketches you mentioned (although filmed in 1930) were not in the 1930 version, but were added for the 1933 reissue. So, to authentically recreate the 1930 version, those sketches were left out of this new restoration.

I sure hope they will be included as bonus features on the Blu-ray (which I also hope comes out in the next several months, now that the Marx Brothers restorations have been officially announced for October).

Richard Finegan

PostWed Aug 17, 2016 12:50 am

Christopher Jacobs wrote:
Richard Finegan wrote:

I sure hope they will be included as bonus features on the Blu-ray...

I hope so, too (although I personally can't stand the William Kent segments in the movie!)
And I also hope they will include such related extras as the KING OF JAZZ trailer and the 1930 Universal/Lantz cartoon MY PAL PAUL.

FrankFay

PostWed Aug 17, 2016 2:09 am

Richard Finegan wrote:

I sure hope they will be included as bonus features on the Blu-ray...[/quote]

I hope so, too (although I personally can't stand the William Kent segments in the movie!)
And I also hope they will include such related extras as the KING OF JAZZ trailer and the 1930 Universal/Lantz cartoon MY PAL PAUL.[/quote]

Kent is tolerable in the musical number opposite Grace Hayes, but otherwise I agree- far too much of him.

I also hope that there will be a REGULAR dvd release as there are still some of us who don't have a blu ray.
Eric Stott

Richard Finegan

PostWed Aug 17, 2016 2:35 am

FrankFay wrote:I sure hope they will be included as bonus features on the Blu-ray...

[I also hope that there will be a REGULAR dvd release as there are still some of us who don't have a blu ray.[/quote]

Agree! I too can't play Blu-Ray's, so would prefer a regular DVD (IF it comes out at all!)

Return to Talkie Screenings