When Will 4K TV Screenings Start To Happen?

Announcements of upcoming theatrical sound film exhibitions.
  • Author

David Alp

When Will 4K TV Screenings Start To Happen?

PostMon Sep 26, 2016 10:47 am

So as some of you might already know, I went and bought this brand new Hisense 65 inch, 3D, 4K-Ready television set, about 9 months ago now. But so far I've never seen anything broadcast in 4K. I am in the UK by the way.

I've never even seen any blu-rays for sale that are in 4K. Nor even if if I indeed need to buy a new Blu-Ray player that will show stuff in 4K.

The only time I saw 4K on this Hisense set was as I was initially setting it up. There was about a minute's worth of 4K test footage as you were tuning the thing in and it was really quite stunning. I watched it several times, and was bowled over by the clarity of it. But as I say -- that was nine months ago now, and I don't seem to be hearing any news about when any programmes are going to be broadcast in 4K.

Does anyone have any news?

ColemanShedman

Re: When Will 4K TV Screenings Start To Happen?

PostMon Sep 26, 2016 10:54 am

Dunno about your side of the pond but amazon prime has some 4K content in the US, as do Netflix (extra cost) and youtube. 4k players are available here although they cost about $320. I don't personally know anyone who has one. I actually only know one other person with a 4k tv.

Rick Lanham

PostMon Sep 26, 2016 11:54 am

DVD Talk has a thread on 4K / Ultra HD Blu-ray: Discounts and deals. The discussion started in March and is four pages long.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargai ... deals.html

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostMon Sep 26, 2016 12:29 pm

There's a section of UHD 4K discs at most electronics stores in the US. It is, not surprisingly, all new releases.

My gauge for whether classics are likely to reach a new format is when I see The Wizard of Oz coming out on it.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Return to Talkie Screenings